Let's see sub 250gram Flyers!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
We all know that magical number of 250 grams, RIGHT?
It would be AWESOME if FT would do more content on builds and options < 250 grams!

Let's see what you fly that is < 250grams!

I'll start with a few of mine....
FT Gremlins!
gremlins.jpg

Nano Tricopter
NanoTri2Fly.jpg

Strix Nano Goblin (up to 1HOUR on a 2S 18650 Li-Ion battery @ 50+MPH)
NanoGoblin.jpg

Tiny Whooperz
20190204_135113.jpg

LET'S SEE YOUR OPTIONS!

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Here is the infamous Borgling in its current condition. AKA Gremliwhoop. All up flying weight including full fpv with a real video setup not a wannabe AIO and a Pulse 45c 3s 450mah battery. Its kind of lardy for what it is but still being an OG Gremlin on stock gear it performs amazingly well both when set up for freestyle or as more whoop like in its current state.

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It's a beast, and if I'm being honest, a bit too much... I definitely need more stick time on it to get comfortable, but I keep breaking it. I haven't had much luck with either of my sub 250's. The ratio of fixing to flying time is off the chart in the wrong direction :whistle:

I had the same issue transitioning from trying to race with free style rates to actual race rates. Experiment with cutting your Super rate in half then bringing your rc rate back up to the same or a hair lower total degrees per second you started with ( thats with no Expo in the fc or the radio). I rip Taz now with rates no higher then like 450 dps and have super control and still smooth enough to do Drib type freestyle. Id have to up the DPS to attempt the fast flippy floppy of Steele but lower rates in general has made me a much better pilot in a very short time.

The current configuration for the Gremliwhoop has pitch and roll below 50 dps and yaw around 600 ish. These rates can be used no matter what you fly. Too many people think they have to stick with the cookie cutter pro rates for everything. Change em up to suit how you intend to fly. It will make anyone progress much faster.

Here is actually what I fly the Gremliwhoop with.

Gremwhoop PIDS.jpg

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've got to trim in my little micro Hubsan FPV quad and fly it, it's been a while. Besides that, I have a Hobby Zone Champ and a Fly Bear something or other(little $30 RTF 2ch with thrust differential, throttle, and big dihedral wingtips). A couple of my custom DTFB park flyers weigh about 250g before the battery goes in, but I want to sit down and make a really nice sub 250g bird fully loaded some day. I can get away with an 1806 motor but might try something smaller.

Fidget

..., but I want to sit down and make a really nice sub 250g bird fully loaded some day. I can get away with an 1806 motor but might try something smaller.

Agreed. I think the FT EZ Glider is built to make it easy to add servos for rudder & elevator, and an FT Dart powerpod will fit in the nose. I have the parts but haven't tried it yet.

Willy Nillies has some small "balsa" kits that fit under 250g with an 1806 motor. I bought their Super Sport 250 at FliteFest 2019, but haven't built it yet.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I know that it isn't made anymore, but the UMX Whiplit DlG is good for a <250 gram plane you can have constant fun with.

When did it stop getting made?!? Dammit, there's 2 left on the shelves at my local hobby shop, looks like I'm gonna need to run in and pick them up. Those gliders are great little 2 channel gliders!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
When did it stop getting made?!? Dammit, there's 2 left on the shelves at my local hobby shop, looks like I'm gonna need to run in and pick them up. Those gliders are great little 2 channel gliders!
Yeah, the still cary replacement parts, but you can't replace the whole plane if it for example, flies away.