Let's see your Cubs!!!

flyboy330

I am a bit of a bush plane fanatic. Here is my recent scratch build; 1/4 scale Clipped Wing Cub from Sig plans (no kit). Using DA35cc for power, swinging a Falcon carbon 20x8 prop. PowerHD 20kg servos. Covered in coverite painted fabric. Landing gear is Hangar 9 gear with shocks and tail wheel assembly from prbushwheels.com. Took me about 7 months to build.
J3 in AK1.jpg
J3 in AK2.jpg

Pilot_35

I have a sport cub s which flies great. and a sport cub s2. I not really into cubs however I do find bush planes cool so I like cubs that are bush planes.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Sweet cub, nice scracth build! Did you go with Sig’s two piece wing design? I’m planning on building the Sig 1/4 kit and the floats kit from Sig in the near future, but was thinking about making it a one piece wing and just epoxing the halves together to the center wing section. I have a truck ti haul it and the room to store it. It needs to be a float plane as our flyings fields aren't big enoogh for 1/4 scale, bit the lakes are!

flyboy330

Sweet cub, nice scracth build! Did you go with Sig’s two piece wing design? I’m planning on building the Sig 1/4 kit and the floats kit from Sig in the near future, but was thinking about making it a one piece wing and just epoxing the halves together to the center wing section. I have a truck ti haul it and the room to store it. It needs to be a float plane as our flyings fields aren't big enoogh for 1/4 scale, bit the lakes are!
Thanks very much :) I engineered my own three piece removable wing with no dihedral and a carbon tube. If you have room for transportation and storage, a single wing is the way to go, one less thing to assemble at the field. To carry the wing as a whole, I have to recline the passenger seat and rest the wing on it. I drive a Dodge Magnum, which is a pretty big car, but that 86 inch wing is massive. LOL. I like floats too, I think I will go with a set from seaplanesupply.com when I do. I am very fortunate as our field here in the interior of Alaska is plenty big and we have our own float pond. :D

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Yes, Seaplanesupply has some nice floats and light too. I just want to build mine from the kit for the first 1/4 scale I do and if they dont hold up I can always try the seaplane ones. I love float flying, I'm actually working on an Alien Super Dragon right now.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
What the heck? How do you guys back east have all these swap meets? Maybe I should move over there, we hardly ever have anything like that in the Seattle area and we can fly year around here in comfort. For some reason rc is not as popular here as back east...

flyboy330

What the heck? How do you guys back east have all these swap meets? Maybe I should move over there, we hardly ever have anything like that in the Seattle area and we can fly year around here in comfort. For some reason rc is not as popular here as back east...
A few guys and myself coaxed the rest of our club into hosting Midnight Sun RC's first ever swapmeet this year. So, anything can happen if you push for it ;)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Just to drive the point home regarding how much I love swap meets, that plane is a 1/4 scale Balsa USA in very good condition with a great engine (that needed an $8 carb rebuild) and servos, all for $100.00. The seller didn't have a price listed and said "Make an offer" and said he was selling planes to pay for his new Harley addiction. I asked if $100 was an offer or an insult, and his wife said "He'll take it!". :) The side door/window needed some work and the landing gear was shot, so a couple hours and $80 for new stock gear/gas tank/etc got it all sorted out and ready to fly. Since then I've flown it for two seasons with no issues. I probably can't top that for great deals, but I'm trying! :)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Maybe someday I will stumble accross a deal like that, until then I will keep building away like one of Santa’s elfs...

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I keep looking at the Sig 1/4 scale cub and the sig float kit thinking how I really need that kit. But, I wont build it till next year after we move, but I hope Sig keeps making kits in the meen time.

flyboy330

I keep looking at the Sig 1/4 scale cub and the sig float kit thinking how I really need that kit. But, I wont build it till next year after we move, but I hope Sig keeps making kits in the meen time.
You could always order the kit now and save it for when you are ready to build ;)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

Seems like we're having swap meets every other month down here in SoCal - Sadly, not for a good reason. Usually it's because the guy who owned all the planes passed away and left his collection, and the family is trying to raise some money to pay for the funeral. :(

On a different note, This thread is prompting me to finish my Bushwacker #2 build (this one with LED light strips so I can do some night flights!). That plane flies SO nicely, so smoothly...The first one died due to a bad battery connector at the ESC; it shorted, and came down on the nose, ripping the landing gear off the bottom and snapping the prop off and pulling the motor mount off. It's a GREAT plane to fly, though, and I think I'll paint some flames on the side of this next one just for fun. :)