Life of the Simple Scout...

RedChesterfield

Folks, this thread has been absolute gem for me to find.
I got into the hobby this summer after being fascinated with it since I was a kid. Bought a laser cut Scout kit from my local hobby shop, and spent my spare time learning the ropes of keeping it airborne. The first time I kept sailing for more than 30 seconds totally set the hook. Took every opportunity I had to get to the field and do some circles. I was hoping that I could stretch the life of my first build until it started to snow, but, alas - it was not meant to be.

That last flight day was really wonky. CG seemed fine right before takeoff, but it reaaallly wanted to pitch up, and roll left slowly, which I think resulted from some fuselage twisting and a misalignment between the tail and the wing. Also, after a summer's worth of repairs it was probably double it's recommended weight and would drop like a rock. Time to start fresh!

Spent a couple evenings reading the great history of this thread and looking at mods. Then back to the hobby shop, but this time I cleaned them out of foamboard instead of a speed build kit. Mk II, codename Garuda, is almost complete and ready to get me back in the air. My personal favourite mod to this build is my camera mount - housed under the powerpod, connected to a little 3g servo.
20200916_205253.jpg

Thanks so much to everyone sharing their build and rebuild notes - it's really been helpful to take in!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I got into the hobby this summer after being fascinated with it since I was a kid. Bought a laser cut Scout kit from my local hobby shop, and spent my spare time learning the ropes of keeping it airborne. The first time I kept sailing for more than 30 seconds totally set the hook. Took every opportunity I had to get to the field and do some circles. I was hoping that I could stretch the life of my first build until it started to snow, but, alas - it was not meant to be.

That last flight day was really wonky. CG seemed fine right before takeoff, but it reaaallly wanted to pitch up, and roll left slowly, which I think resulted from some fuselage twisting and a misalignment between the tail and the wing. Also, after a summer's worth of repairs it was probably double it's recommended weight and would drop like a rock. Time to start fresh!

Spent a couple evenings reading the great history of this thread and looking at mods. Then back to the hobby shop, but this time I cleaned them out of foamboard instead of a speed build kit. Mk II, codename Garuda, is almost complete and ready to get me back in the air. My personal favourite mod to this build is my camera mount - housed under the powerpod, connected to a little 3g servo.
View attachment 179251

Thanks so much to everyone sharing their build and rebuild notes - it's really been helpful to take in!
Nice. I like the camera mount, discrete. That exactly what this thread is for, anything Scout

Whens the video release?

Any pics of the finished plane?

RedChesterfield

Thanks! I've a little fiddling to do with the linkage to get a little more range of movement on the cam, but I'm pretty tickled with myself.

I've no good images of the current state of the new build until I get off the clock later on, but I'll happily show it off in a little detail then. Having seen your fleet on here though, it won't hold a candle to your slick finishing. You make some sick looking planes.

In the meantime, here are a few clips of the first model going through durability tests.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

View attachment 179251

Awesome! I want to build another scout sometime.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks! I've a little fiddling to do with the linkage to get a little more range of movement on the cam, but I'm pretty tickled with myself.

I've no good images of the current state of the new build until I get off the clock later on, but I'll happily show it off in a little detail then. Having seen your fleet on here though, it won't hold a candle to your slick finishing. You make some sick looking planes.

In the meantime, here are a few clips of the first model going through durability tests.
The rocks definitely test the durability. It has to be a solid build to take all that abuse (y)

If i was you I would add a little more throttle to you flights to get some quality learning time in, seems like you tend to stall a lot, mostly in the turns.
I hope that once I get out of the hospital, which I really hope is tomorrow, I can go get some foam board and build a scout or try and get my cub up in the air again... Probably the former.
Awesome! I want to build another scout sometime.
I don't know why but they are addictive.

RedChesterfield

The rocks definitely test the durability. It has to be a solid build to take all that abuse (y)

If i was you I would add a little more throttle to you flights to get some quality learning time in, seems like you tend to stall a lot, mostly in the turns.

I'll take that to heart on my next trip out. In the entire life of my first model, I'd never set the throttle rate above 75%, and realistically spent most of my time in the air chuffing along at about 50%. I think I'm going to raise, or ditch, the throttle limiter and push myself to learn better power management on the fly, so to speak.

The longer the new build sits inside the more likely I am to keep doing unnecessary things to it, but here it is so far:
20200918_093513.jpg 20200917_214558.jpg 20200918_093559.jpg 20200918_093542.jpg

I shortened the ailerons by about a third. On the first model I found I had to limit their throw in the software to get roll control somewhere reasonable, so I'll feel it out and reduce the limits to account for the smaller control surface. Also, keeping the hinge away from the wingtip might help it getting torn away in a crash. The fuselage took on a bit of a weird look by the time I added the canopy/battery hatch to fit the guts in without putting any wires under tension, and keeping things somewhere close to balanced.

Going to dig through cupboards for old stickers or decals - something to help with orientation. That, and recycle some clear plastic or acrylic to make a shield/bump plate for the belly and camera, and that's about all I've got planned for this unit.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'll take that to heart on my next trip out. In the entire life of my first model, I'd never set the throttle rate above 75%, and realistically spent most of my time in the air chuffing along at about 50%. I think I'm going to raise, or ditch, the throttle limiter and push myself to learn better power management on the fly, so to speak.

The longer the new build sits inside the more likely I am to keep doing unnecessary things to it, but here it is so far:
View attachment 179358 View attachment 179359 View attachment 179356 View attachment 179357

I shortened the ailerons by about a third. On the first model I found I had to limit their throw in the software to get roll control somewhere reasonable, so I'll feel it out and reduce the limits to account for the smaller control surface. Also, keeping the hinge away from the wingtip might help it getting torn away in a crash. The fuselage took on a bit of a weird look by the time I added the canopy/battery hatch to fit the guts in without putting any wires under tension, and keeping things somewhere close to balanced.

Going to dig through cupboards for old stickers or decals - something to help with orientation. That, and recycle some clear plastic or acrylic to make a shield/bump plate for the belly and camera, and that's about all I've got planned for this unit.
Looking good man. I get that same way with a new build sometimes, the longer it sits waiting for weather the more you do to it. At times being detrimental.

If you want to add a skid plate to the belly i have a vid on that, might give you some ideas...

Milk jug plastic works as well