Life of the Simple Scout...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Wow! Congrads on a perfect maiden. I caught the call out, thanks! I'm so jealous on all the space, even the biggest field I have makes me feel constrained and fearful of getting the bird up too high, as going into the trees scares me more than crashing. The kids are cute giggling in the background.

Maybe not painting the plane is good luck, eh? Alright, now paint this one up nice, look forward to seeing it. I forget, do you minwax your planes?
Thanks on the compliment, the kids love kickin around to watch me fly. The space is awesome huge the ground is forgiving with all the tall grass and shrubs, next flight will be an onboard cam so you will see my runway I mowed into it, might even do a successful wheel landing or two.

Maybe doing the maiden before paint is good luck. I never really did much paint on my planes before until the P-40. I just Minwax polyurethaned the Sportster tonight. gonna let it cure over night. Then sand and start paint tomorrow. Since its a winter plane i will need colors that highly contrast to overcast skies and white snow, black and yellow. I highly suggest you polyurethane your planes before paint, it waterproofs the foam, helps eliminate delamination of paper, and makes it way easier to paint as well

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Wind was about half as heavy as when I went out and maidened the J. Cash, I honestly still was a little worried but the Sportster took it like a champ. Kids are 9,11, and 13.

Next flight will be an onboard cam, sorted out a couple cam locations on the wings, and might do one right in the cockpit for a pilot view. Actually I have a way to hook up a pushrod to my rudder servo that will attach to swivel on the cockpit mount to turn when the rudder turns. Can't wait to try that one.

Homey

Elite member
Wind was about half as heavy as when I went out and maidened the J. Cash, I honestly still was a little worried but the Sportster took it like a champ. Kids are 9,11, and 13.

Next flight will be an onboard cam, sorted out a couple cam locations on the wings, and might do one right in the cockpit for a pilot view. Actually I have a way to hook up a pushrod to my rudder servo that will attach to swivel on the cockpit mount to turn when the rudder turns. Can't wait to try that one.
That is brilliant idea for the cockpit camera!

Peter

Sero

Elite member
Since I did some talking of building this plane on this thread here it is, the Sportster maiden:

Nice flying Chris! That plane does everything but go fast, it will hover for a bit and I've even had it tail slide a few times.
I put a bomb drop on V1 and hauled some heavy stuff up with it, brought a friends tiny trainer glider up and released really high, that plane had the C-pack on it. I have to install the bomb drop on V2, haven't flown it for a while.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Nice flying Chris! That plane does everything but go fast, it will hover for a bit and I've even had it tail slide a few times.
I put a bomb drop on V1 and hauled some heavy stuff up with it, brought a friends tiny trainer glider up and released really high, that plane had the C-pack on it. I have to install the bomb drop on V2, haven't flown it for a while.
heavy lifting was what I was counting on for this plane. Between cams, rubber tire landing gear, and the floats, none of these are ultra light. And the slow glide slope will help me perfect the take off and landings.

The plane is being painted now so it won't be flying today but the 11x7x3 should give it more pull anyway.

Sero

Elite member
heavy lifting was what I was counting on for this plane. Between cams, rubber tire landing gear, and the floats, none of these are ultra light. And the slow glide slope will help me perfect the take off and landings.

The plane is being painted now so it won't be flying today but the 11x7x3 should give it more pull anyway.
You'll get more pulling/lifting power, but it won't go much faster, it has a low aspect ratio, thick, large surface area wing. Lots of lift and lots of drag. Aerodynamic resistance increases at about the square of speed. At twice the speed, you get about 4x aerodynamic drag. With the existing design, it will just get less efficient with minimal increase in speed. My Sportster accelerates fast with the 3536 motor, but will eat the battery real fast if I fly full speed,

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You'll get more pulling/lifting power, but it won't go much faster, it has a low aspect ratio, thick, large surface area wing. Lots of lift and lots of drag. Aerodynamic resistance increases at about the square of speed. At twice the speed, you get about 4x aerodynamic drag. With the existing design, it will just get less efficient with minimal increase in speed. My Sportster accelerates fast with the 3536 motor, but will eat the battery real fast if I fly full speed,
Yea im hoping the triple blades pull will match the lift capacity of the wings. The only way this plane will go faster is to add more rpm, 4s or a higher KV.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Got her all painted up, just threw on some clear, here she is:
20191013_155543.jpg

checkerboardflyer

Excellent idea! Makes so much sense. Thanks!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Fantastic job, like it even better than that last one. How did you do the checkers? Stencil or sticker? What color is the belly? Should be a perfect Great White North plane, ay.
Haha, Bob and Doug Mackenzie, love it. I figured out a way to do DIY stencils. I'll do a Tips vid on it.
Excellent idea! Makes so much sense. Thanks!
I got that idea from an FT vid, kinda. It will just be a different version of the same thing.

Marty72

Elite member
Haha, Bob and Doug Mackenzie, love it. I figured out a way to do DIY stencils. I'll do a Tips vid on it.

I got that idea from an FT vid, kinda. It will just be a different version of the same thing.

Also, tell me your paint process. I'm in a high humidity environment, so delamination is an issue. Do you Minwax, paint, and clear coat spray paint? What does the clear coat do in this case (besides protect the paint)? I use to love that skit back then, legendary.

I really like the fly it, then paint it approach. Once you got it trimmed out and figured out, then put the time into it to make it a work of art.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have a new project coming up and I will do my finishing process in vids then. Just so I have something to work with for demonstration. I can show the stencil thing in a vid I might record in the next couple of days.

The minwax is a brush on and wipe off kinda deal, you just want it to soak through the paper and just into the top of the foam to help adhere it better to each other. Once cured overnight it will be a lot harder to peel the paper and won't delaminate, bubble or wrinkle for spray paint. 2-3 coats of paint depending on the color and spray on clear.

Last edited: