Life of the Simple Scout...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Looking really nice. the lighter weight i think will be especially fun compared to the ft-3d you did.
It depends on what I do to it once its up, could be another two minute flight :ROFLMAO:

When I was at the hobby store I should have gotten some 9x4 props as well. Smallest I have are 8x6 or 9x6

FL_Engineer

Elite member
It should fly jut like the FT-3D I am thinking. When I built mine I covered it in poster board so it was heavy, this is a lot lighter so far.
My LHS carries CF which is where I got this stuff. But yea arrow shafts are cheaper, sometimes 10 for $5 at Walmart.
Just checked my local Walmart and apparently they don't carry arrows 🤔 must be too suburban. The ones at the sporting goods stores are like 5 bucks a piece.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Here is a sneak peak, over half done...
20200223_172226.jpg

I made the firewall location so far out on purpose, gets the motor more over the nose, makes more room for the battery in the pod, and shows of that jewel of motor. With just the motor in the plane is balanced on CG 2" from the LE. Mind you I still have to put in the servos, pushrods and Rx, all of which goes behind the CG so I definitely am not worried about being tail heavy
20200223_172257.jpg

I really like the profile of the wing, and the scallops on all the TE. This are all ironed and sanded out, so smooth and strong. The silver really looks good with the white too, I will just polyurethane this and not paint much, maybe some orientation stripes on the bottom. I think I might have some wing tip fences figured out as well.
20200223_172343.jpg

Check out the size of that rudder, of course it looks huge here because of the camera angle. Really the tail feathers are the same size, just moved the hinge lines forward an inch. Plus the added rudder section underneath, knife edges for days.

I thought long and hard last night on where to get enough servos to finish this and i will have to say its the Speed Demon that has to go. It has 3 perfectly good servos plus there is one I will have to solder back together the wires so that will be my 4. I chose the SD because i already have the racer as a fast plane and it only took one sheet to make. I could make some improvements to it as well, so for now its the donor

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Check out this sexy machine...!
20200224_000218.jpg

It just screams sport plane! That I will say is the best looking Scout that has crossed this table. I couldn't be happier with it. It just looks 1920's fast, that's what makes it so cool. Let me take you for the tour...
20200224_000259.jpg

If from the side it looked like a Scout, here is where it looks the part. The narrow fuse compared to the Edge, yet still all the control surfaces are directly behind the thrust line. A true mid wing agility sans dihedral or under cambered tips. Fully loaded it ends up node heavy by about a half inch, won't take much to get that back, maybe $0.15 ;):LOL:
20200224_000329.jpg

Here you get look at the scallops, even on the wing tip fences. Set up the servos and off the servo tester there is about +-35 degrees of deflection in the ailerons, +-45 degrees in the elevator, +- 40 degrees in the rudder. Mechanically i did set the rudder pushrod in one hole on the servo arm compared to the others because of deflection limits being in between the two sides of the elevator. But on the servo tester it still hit the inside of the relief, gonna hafta dial that back in programming
20200224_000424.jpg

At the back i have used full length steel pushrod on the out side to show off the mechanicals of it, old school. And the tail feather struts just to add stability, weight and drag to the tail. Even though the rudder could have more travel ideally for 3D, it makes up for in surface area. Man those scallops look sharp. The belly panel I covered in black poster board, over top of ply reinforcement for possible LG. Haven't decided on that one yet. Now to Minwax it, maybe some decaling, and the maiden

Marty72

Elite member
Looks great, interested in how it flies. Any ideas when you will get to do that? I'd like to see you paint it, it's just not complete without paint. ha

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Looks great, interested in how it flies. Any ideas when you will get to do that? I'd like to see you paint it, it's just not complete without paint. ha
You know what I was looking at it last night and was thinking red or black for the top front half of the wing, just for orientation. I will keep the bottom of the wings white, and the wing tip fences black or red as well. But for the most part I will leave the rest white.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Check out this sexy machine...!
View attachment 159092
It just screams sport plane! That I will say is the best looking Scout that has crossed this table. I couldn't be happier with it. It just looks 1920's fast, that's what makes it so cool. Let me take you for the tour... View attachment 159093
If from the side it looked like a Scout, here is where it looks the part. The narrow fuse compared to the Edge, yet still all the control surfaces are directly behind the thrust line. A true mid wing agility sans dihedral or under cambered tips. Fully loaded it ends up node heavy by about a half inch, won't take much to get that back, maybe $0.15 ;):LOL: View attachment 159096
Here you get look at the scallops, even on the wing tip fences. Set up the servos and off the servo tester there is about +-35 degrees of deflection in the ailerons, +-45 degrees in the elevator, +- 40 degrees in the rudder. Mechanically i did set the rudder pushrod in one hole on the servo arm compared to the others because of deflection limits being in between the two sides of the elevator. But on the servo tester it still hit the inside of the relief, gonna hafta dial that back in programming View attachment 159095
At the back i have used full length steel pushrod on the out side to show off the mechanicals of it, old school. And the tail feather struts just to add stability, weight and drag to the tail. Even though the rudder could have more travel ideally for 3D, it makes up for in surface area. Man those scallops look sharp. The belly panel I covered in black poster board, over top of ply reinforcement for possible LG. Haven't decided on that one yet. Now to Minwax it, maybe some decaling, and the maiden
Wow - you crushed it man!!! (y)(y):D:D

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
This thread is about documenting the life of my Simple Scout. I have gone through a whack load of planes just trying to get anything to fly for more the 30 seconds under my control as opposed to the plane doing what is perceived as having a mind of it's own. In the beginning I knew to some point that they would be sacrificial planes till I honed up enough skill to make it work, and if I really liked a plane that I have beat up I can take a day and build a new one with little cost. Given that these planes that have gone to the graveyard didn't last long I didn't see any reason to really document anything or even take video of the maidens to look back on and learn from. Then I got on this forum and realized how useful it can be to show others the build process and the flights to get constructive feedback to help improve the builds, improve my flying skills, and to help others in need vicariously through my struggles. As so many people I have never met have helped me I feel like I can pay it forward to others as well. I really appreciate all the comments, criticisms, feedback, banter, suggestions, and collaborations that have come from this forum and I hope I have done the same, and will continue to contribute to this hobby.

That being said, here is the beginning of my Scouts story. I chose the Scout out of my strike of good luck with the Mini Scout, (actually 2 of them). My first MS was my first real flight where I burned through a couple batteries without tearing the airframe apart with sudden interactions with the ground. Not to say I didn't crash, but it took the abuse for the most part and I was able to see a controlled pattern of flight translated from what i saw in the air, to my thumbs, and the plane reacted. Now I did build 2 because I did fold the wing on the first due in part to a quick save in the up elevator to keep it from hitting a building, but I was so impressed with it that I built a second. The second was just as loyal to my progress as the first so it deserves just as much credit. Here are my babies:
View attachment 140039 MS #1 View attachment 140040 MS #2
Kept the red and white theme going as a rabbits foot of sorts. Not superstitious whatsoever ;)

Build Process Pt. 1

Since there has been such a good run going with the Scouts, and seeing how much others liked the standard size Scout as well it just seemed like a natural progression. Why mess with a good thing? The problem I had though was that my larger power set up was almost twice the size and power then the Scout was designed for. So out of necessity is the mother of all invention. The battery I have to use is to big to fit in the Scouts designed power pod and the motor is to big to use the straight off (no thrust angle) firewall. How was i gonna make this work? In the building phase of many planes I got used to doing modifications to suit my needs, DTFB lends such adaptability with ease of construction and the Ft designs have endless possibilities. If you think of it you can create it. Here is my conundrum:
View attachment 140018
Originally the battery is supposed to Velcro under the power pod but my battery is physically to large to make it fit. I have been of the philosophy of keeping my battery inside the regular power pod for safety, it tends to be a bullet upon the event of a crash damaging other electronic parts or itself. Having it in its own compartment I found is the best place for it. Solution:
View attachment 140019
With solutions always come more problems to solve, gotta love life's little tricks. After some thinking I figured that I haven't yet had a plane that had a removable top hatch in the nose to contain the battery yet, its always been the standard power pod. And with the power pod in some of the planes it has been a hassle to just change the battery, electronics placement getting in the way or being hooked up in or around the pod makes it a puzzle. So there was my battery sitting on the plans running into the leading edge of the wing by a couple inches. I have the opportunity to modify that now as well. The fun just begins but I think i have formulated a plan in my head and hopefully it works out on the bench. I need enough room in the battery compartment to not only house the battery but to be able to move it back and forth to get proper CG, and keep it from smashing into the motor shaft in case of a nose dive. Gotta cut away the LE of the wing inside the fuse to achieve this, which means I lose lateral stiffness of the wing, but if i build up the spar I may gain that strength back. Plan in play:
View attachment 140020
View attachment 140022
Found a length of 3/4x1/2 inch balsa to relatively fit with some sanding of coarse, into the FB box spar. Cut 9" length, cut in half at 4.5" per side for the dihedral angle allowances and viola, stiffened up spar and into the wing it goes: View attachment 140025 View attachment 140024
You can see the balsa down the spar, fit so nice like it wasn't even there.

Next was to build the fuse, anyone who has built the Scout before, or any other FT planes will find this part rudimentary stuff so I won't bore you with the basics. Literally all I did was extend the cavity cut in the doublers meant for the original pod a couple inches back to make room for the new extended compartment. Once the fuse was folded up I cut the reliefs for the wing out and slid it through the fuse. It did take a few tries to get the shape of the reliefs with some sanding here and there to get it to slide in without putting undue stress on the fuse walls. Once in it was centered and squared then glued solid, I like to glue my wings in solid because I have tried the floating wing trick on a couple planes and found that when the wing takes a hit it will tear the fuse apart from the TE back. View attachment 140026
View attachment 140028
View attachment 140027
As you can see here I did cut the section of the LE that resides inside the fuse and replaced it with a extended pod/battery compartment that is a permanent fixture glued to the inside of the LE and the rest of the nose, effectively continuing the doubling strength from top to bottom. The front of the compartment was also designed with down and right thrust to compensate for the larger motor. You can also see the spar from inside the wing and the space below where the battery wires feed down to the intended space for the ESC. Separate compartments and room for the battery, airflow for the ESC, and ease of battery changes achieved. Looks like this is coming together as planned

(to be continued)
Tip with the Mini Scout, run a barbecue skewer across the top of the wing and through the front turtle deck to make the wings essentially fold proof. I made a MS that was essentially a mini 3d trainer with a bigger rudder and everything.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Tip with the Mini Scout, run a barbecue skewer across the top of the wing and through the front turtle deck to make the wings essentially fold proof. I made a MS that was essentially a mini 3d trainer with a bigger rudder and everything.
My mini scout wings folded a couple times, so I’ll try this on the next one!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
My wing on the first standard size Scout never folded, the second I broke the wing right off, but that was after a considerably hard hit to the dirt. This current one has CF tubing in the middle section of the 3 layer wing...
My mini scout wings folded a couple times, so I’ll try this on the next one!
But that is a good tip for sure. Could even help it look more scale too.

If this one flies as good as I think it will then I will be sticking with it for the Scout for sure. Unless I build a trainer to teach friends that's where I will use it. Which gives me an idea, I should build a stock one just for training. I am making a stop at the hobby store tomorrow...

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
My wing on the first standard size Scout never folded, the second I broke the wing right off, but that was after a considerably hard hit to the dirt. This current one has CF tubing in the middle section of the 3 layer wing...
But that is a good tip for sure. Could even help it look more scale too.

If this one flies as good as I think it will then I will be sticking with it for the Scout for sure. Unless I build a trainer to teach friends that's where I will use it. Which gives me an idea, I should build a stock one just for training. I am making a stop at the hobby store tomorrow...
I just posted my first article on a plane I designed. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/introducing-the-javelin-simple-yet-sporty.62178/ I don't know your skillset as a pilot but its been super stable for me and I think its probably a bit stronger than the scout fuselage. I haven't done much testing on it but if you're ready for the next step into something a little more sporty than a scout maybe I could make some plans and you could try it if you wanted.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Friday I think will be the maiden, when I am in town tomorrow I will be picking up a new receiver to get back in the air. Been waiting on one to come in the mail. I am excited to get it out, just in anything really, haven't flown in over a month

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Friday I think will be the maiden, when I am in town tomorrow I will be picking up a new receiver to get back in the air. Been waiting on one to come in the mail. I am excited to get it out, just in anything really, haven't flown in over a month
If you fly Spektrum the Orange RX receivers are super cheap. I only trust legit Spektrum stuff in builds I care about though. The AR620 receiver has been giving me some issues though and Horizon’s customer support didn’t do what I would have hoped.