Life of the Simple Scout...

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Tx gets released and ships tomorrow, should have it the first week in August. I will be maiden crazy and the vids will flow. Like a kid at Christmas
I forget, did you finally end up with the T18 or TX16S? It seems like you've been waiting for like 6 months. I was fortunate enough to find a TX16S at Newbee Drone a few weeks ago after I realized RDQ has a 30 day backorder. Still getting up to speed with it but it's night and day from my old Flysky. Can't wait to see what you do with OpenTX.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I forget, did you finally end up with the T18 or TX16S? It seems like you've been waiting for like 6 months. I was fortunate enough to find a TX16S at Newbee Drone a few weeks ago after I realized RDQ has a 30 day backorder. Still getting up to speed with it but it's night and day from my old Flysky. Can't wait to see what you do with OpenTX.
Its the Radiomaster i am waiting on

PoorManRC

Master member
Sweet! Is Brittany your wife or is it a reference to some movie I haven't seen yet (very possible lol)? I love how you did the LG on this one!!
That's funny right there!!
I didn't think there was anyone on Earth who hasn't heard of Britney Spears - even if they never heard her Music (which wasn't earth shattering good BTW, she was just HOT!!🔥🔥 was....)

PoorManRC

Master member
Like Brittany would say "Oops, I did it again :oops:" The Seventh Son is born! That's right I built another Scout. This time at 85%, a plane to fit the B Pack sized 2212 it is rated for... View attachment 174412 This scaled down version was just around a sheet and a half to build, the fuse is as wide as a standard power pod so it comes out at 2", actually 3/8" narrower then the standard Scout... View attachment 174414
Then it is also a lot more robust, and more controllable in weather then the Mini Scout... View attachment 174413
Im using a cheap 2212 1400Kv on an 1800mah 3s with a 30amp ESC to power this, so pound for pound I think it would out perform the standard size Scout on the C pack. I am using 9g servos in not exactly stock locations. Usually the control rods and servos i put in behind the cockpit but this time i decided to bury them in the fuse... View attachment 174415
With all the gear in this is balanced right on the nose with room left to pull the battery forward once the receiver goes in. I am trying out the upside down power pod method on this one to see if i can make the given space more versatile and it works. I have an elastic band that is anchored to the rear BBQ skewer for the power pod that holds the battery in place and the ESC sits just above and locked in by the skewers themselves... View attachment 174416
I would say the 8" prop works perfect on it and once this radio shows up it will fly. Lately i have been trying to get the boys flying the Sport Cub S so this would be a good transition later. plus i have a buddy that want s to try flying so this would help there as well. Landing gear struts are currently drying from paint. There will be a maiden vid on it in the next month or so, fingers crossed
Good job Britney!!! 😜
85% might be a good size. Not too small, not too big...

PoorManRC

Master member
Since we are all talking Scouts now, I built my third a few weeks ago to work on learning to take of and land at the Club field. I spend most of my time working the approach and the touch down, after that, I usually gas it and get it back up. The take off is fairly easy but on the hard surface, I have to use full elevator to keep the tail from spinning out on taxi. In the fine grass, the Scout is so easy to land and take off, but the nylon landing strips (w/ pot holes) a bit more challenge.

Here's a video clip from last week at the field, (with fog). I edited most everything but the approach and touch down.

The Scout is a great all around plane. I'm waiting for Battle to get his TX act together, I think we are going to see a whole bunch of maidens from him soon.

All of this is reminding me....
I've never Maidened my Scout!!
Note to self - first day under 100 degrees, FLY!

PoorManRC

Master member
The thing i like about the slight downsize is the cavities in the A and B folds fit so much tighter which translates to less glue with the same amount of contact. Equals less weight, better fit, etc
I can see that.... I was toying with the idea of creating a 135% Scout....
But the fold gaps perplexed me!! 😖

bwarz

Master member
After great input from smart people in the FT forums family, I'm going back to the first FT my son and I built. It never took flight for more than a few seconds, but it was our first build! Taking that input, applying it to my son's mods to the mini scout (why didn't I see it!?) I've now got to build 3 mini scouts and a full size scout. Inspiration from all and hopping on @BATTLEAXE inspirational (and lengthy! ) thread, I start the journey! Hope you all don't mind me dragging you along! 15953050571438414053512552999086.jpg
not showing up to well, but this is my old method of getting plans into fb... tracing posterboard plans. hate it, no idea why I'm doing it this way again, but whatever🤨🙄

For anyone that doesn't know, my 3 boys need something to practice in a smaller area. I want them on 4 channel (sorry @BATTLEAXE lol) and needed something slow and stable. After watching my 13yr old fly his modded mini scout this weekend I found what I think we needed!
15953053906145023927299887283149.jpg
...the high wing mini scout kinda thing. For when they graduate to feeling comfortable with a lawyer plane, I'm building a standard size scout (with a few mods of course)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
After great input from smart people in the FT forums family, I'm going back to the first FT my son and I built. It never took flight for more than a few seconds, but it was our first build! Taking that input, applying it to my son's mods to the mini scout (why didn't I see it!?) I've now got to build 3 mini scouts and a full size scout. Inspiration from all and hopping on @BATTLEAXE inspirational (and lengthy! ) thread, I start the journey! Hope you all don't mind me dragging you along! View attachment 175224
not showing up to well, but this is my old method of getting plans into fb... tracing posterboard plans. hate it, no idea why I'm doing it this way again, but whatever🤨🙄

For anyone that doesn't know, my 3 boys need something to practice in a smaller area. I want them on 4 channel (sorry @BATTLEAXE lol) and needed something slow and stable. After watching my 13yr old fly his modded mini scout this weekend I found what I think we needed!
View attachment 175225
...the high wing mini scout kinda thing. For when they graduate to feeling comfortable with a lawyer plane, I'm building a standard size scout (with a few mods of course)
Its great you have your kids in it man. I just enticed the 9 year old to get into it a little while ago. I have a vid to release soon of his progress. He is a champ and comes to me everyday asking to fly.

I just built that 85% Scout and really cant wait to fly it. And i want to fly it in my back yard. It runs on a B pack way better then the standard scale Simple Scout. I have yet to fly it but i cant see why it wouldnt be an awesome park flyer

bwarz

Master member
I love it when they fly, but they won't fly in the yard, so it's getting the time to drive 10 minutes to the field. The 8 and 10 year olds are still in SAFE world with a timber and a sport cub. I got one of them to take up the super cub but he panicked and nosed it (he felt horrible!) My 13 yr old got brave a few weeks ago and took up a foaming p38...we brought it home in pieces lol. We've fixed both and I'm trying to get them to not worry about it. Fly, crash, fix, repeat... We're getting there. If they decimate a $1 plane, I'm sure (insert hope here) they'll laugh about it and try again!

I've loved recounting your journeys and amazed at your building and design prowess! ...all in just a year!? You and several others provide continuous inspiration (no blushing lol) 🙄 and very welcomed suggestions, tips, designs...