Life of the Simple Scout...

bwarz

Master member
Well, home again! Just spent the last hour with the unpacking and putting thigns away. I looked at the bench that was lest in haste of three nights of rush-building and decided it could wait! The day was beautiful - not too hot, overcast so no blazing sun, and the rain held off until nearly 8PM. The rain was very short-lived and two of us got one last battery in before the long drive home. No pics at this point - it's easier to type at the PC right now;) We all got a nice day of flying in - and Edgewater is great to keep all ages entertained! My 9 year old and 11 year old (B-days last week) spend time building paper boats and chasing them down the stream, a good time in the community room on the simulator (we have it at home, I tried telling them "come out and fly the real thing":ROFLMAO:) and just as much time driving their RC cars around as they did flying. My 14 year old even took a break to swing on the new playgym (geeze, we were there for nearly 8 hours!)

Me: "Hey Mason - do you want buddy box with me and try your new plane?" Mason - "Nah - I'll wait for Josh" :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
LOL - I convinced him to try my Simple Cub. My first time buddy-boxing, I think I was just as excited for myself and as I was for him!

Me: "Hey Colin - want to fly your new plane?" Colin: "Yea, but no - I don't want to crash it and destroy it" Again, buddy boxing - I got him to fly for a bit as well. Once Josh came out they mobbed him LOL. He is so awesome! He spent time with each of them teaching them much that I couldn't, feeding them suggestions and confidence the whole time (and them loving every minute of it!) He even commented that he saw us out their from his office, recognizing us from two visits last year, and was surprised how much bigger the boys got!

He checked out our creations, complimented Dylan on his modified scout design, took a look at my Corsair and commented "wow, that is big motor for that little plane" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I think I've got 2208s on some of the minis. I got to ask him on its tendency to pitch hard on landings and he immediately suggested a smaller prop with the motor (running 7x4) due to the tendency of the plane wanting to torque with the bigger prop and motor. I tried a 6x4 (on the Zero, the Corsair "had a prior rough landing") and landing were much smoother :):)

I did find out that I stink at taking videos, their going to need a little editing, but we do have a few maidens for the day - I think I got all of our first flights of the day. I will see about getting them posted soon.

Many regulars showed up at 5 for the learn to fly night. Lost of great conversations, lots of flying. I was even a bit less skittish about flying with several other planes int he air :D I do love it there - if you're lucky enough to live close enough to make a day trip (or weekend?) I highly recommend it! One of the founders suggested I keep an eye on the Edgewater calendar as they're trying to work on various events with plane combat, drone nights, and they're even building an RC crawler area.

Well, long day, kids fell asleep on the way home and crawled into bed upon our return home (I didn't have to carry any of them to bed:cry::cry:) and I'm hearing the sandman knocking... Thansk for reading, and thank for being excited with me for our family fun fly day! Maybe next time I can convince my better half to join us!

OliverW

Legendary member
Well, home again! Just spent the last hour with the unpacking and putting thigns away. I looked at the bench that was lest in haste of three nights of rush-building and decided it could wait! The day was beautiful - not too hot, overcast so no blazing sun, and the rain held off until nearly 8PM. The rain was very short-lived and two of us got one last battery in before the long drive home. No pics at this point - it's easier to type at the PC right now;) We all got a nice day of flying in - and Edgewater is great to keep all ages entertained! My 9 year old and 11 year old (B-days last week) spend time building paper boats and chasing them down the stream, a good time in the community room on the simulator (we have it at home, I tried telling them "come out and fly the real thing":ROFLMAO:) and just as much time driving their RC cars around as they did flying. My 14 year old even took a break to swing on the new playgym (geeze, we were there for nearly 8 hours!)

Me: "Hey Mason - do you want buddy box with me and try your new plane?" Mason - "Nah - I'll wait for Josh" :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
LOL - I convinced him to try my Simple Cub. My first time buddy-boxing, I think I was just as excited for myself and as I was for him!

Me: "Hey Colin - want to fly your new plane?" Colin: "Yea, but no - I don't want to crash it and destroy it" Again, buddy boxing - I got him to fly for a bit as well. Once Josh came out they mobbed him LOL. He is so awesome! He spent time with each of them teaching them much that I couldn't, feeding them suggestions and confidence the whole time (and them loving every minute of it!) He even commented that he saw us out their from his office, recognizing us from two visits last year, and was surprised how much bigger the boys got!

He checked out our creations, complimented Dylan on his modified scout design, took a look at my Corsair and commented "wow, that is big motor for that little plane" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I think I've got 2208s on some of the minis. I got to ask him on its tendency to pitch hard on landings and he immediately suggested a smaller prop with the motor (running 7x4) due to the tendency of the plane wanting to torque with the bigger prop and motor. I tried a 6x4 (on the Zero, the Corsair "had a prior rough landing") and landing were much smoother :):)

I did find out that I stink at taking videos, their going to need a little editing, but we do have a few maidens for the day - I think I got all of our first flights of the day. I will see about getting them posted soon.

Many regulars showed up at 5 for the learn to fly night. Lost of great conversations, lots of flying. I was even a bit less skittish about flying with several other planes int he air :D I do love it there - if you're lucky enough to live close enough to make a day trip (or weekend?) I highly recommend it! One of the founders suggested I keep an eye on the Edgewater calendar as they're trying to work on various events with plane combat, drone nights, and they're even building an RC crawler area.

Well, long day, kids fell asleep on the way home and crawled into bed upon our return home (I didn't have to carry any of them to bed:cry::cry:) and I'm hearing the sandman knocking... Thansk for reading, and thank for being excited with me for our family fun fly day! Maybe next time I can convince my better half to join us!
I'm super jealous.. I wish that edgewater wasn't 40 hours away

"Corpse"

Legendary member

@The Hangar @SquirrelTail When we go to FF21 we NEED to go to Edgewater! It would be a sin not to lol.

bwarz

Master member
+1.

@bwarz I am so happy to read your post really makes me wish I lived in the US to be able to get there without a 14 hour flight. I am happy you and your kids got tips for Josh that surely helps build confiendce :). Like I said a million times before can't wait for the pictures and videos :).

I feel fortunate to live so close! It's sometimes quick to forget how far reaching the FliteTest family is! Last year was our first FF and really our beginning of our learning and we (as so many others) were so looking forward to FF2020. Now waiting for FF2021 and all working on our flying skills for combat 😆

bwarz

Master member
I got to do (also read here, learned to do :LOL:)some editing over the weekend and finally have some video. Going through videos, we kinda forgot about recording as the day wore on and just ended up having fun! I did get to learn some buddy box master tips (from Josh, the master himself!) and have a bit more confidence in helping my 9 year old and 11 year old - hopefully we can have this rain stop and get some time at the field in this week!

bwarz

Master member
Only one major casualty of the day. The corsair cartwheeled...again...:eek: A nice clean removal of the cowl. That just means it's an easy fix(y)
20200803_001619.jpg

Working on finishing the full sized scout this evening. Just finished the turtle deck and battery hatch. Maybe time for some lacquer tonight...
15966019835426671231388450205255.jpg

... please pay no attention to the messy workbench :LOL::LOL:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I got to do (also read here, learned to do :LOL:)some editing over the weekend and finally have some video. Going through videos, we kinda forgot about recording as the day wore on and just ended up having fun! I did get to learn some buddy box master tips (from Josh, the master himself!) and have a bit more confidence in helping my 9 year old and 11 year old - hopefully we can have this rain stop and get some time at the field in this week!

Planes look great, can really see all the hard work you put in. Kids and a whole day of RC... I mean cmon does it get any better. They look like they have a real interest growing in flight and I commend you for finding that common ground. They look like they had lots of fun. To many planes not to. That Stuka that you flew at the end, was that a MiniacRC model?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Only one major casualty of the day. The corsair cartwheeled...again...:eek: A nice clean removal of the cowl. That just means it's an easy fix(y) View attachment 176449

Working on finishing the full sized scout this evening. Just finished the turtle deck and battery hatch. Maybe time for some lacquer tonight... View attachment 176450

... please pay no attention to the messy workbench :LOL::LOL:
I like how you are modifying stuff. Scout has the top hatch and the full length rear turtle deck

bwarz

Master member
Planes look great, can really see all the hard work you put in. Kids and a whole day of RC... I mean cmon does it get any better. They look like they have a real interest growing in flight and I commend you for finding that common ground. They look like they had lots of fun. To many planes not to. That Stuka that you flew at the end, was that a MiniacRC model?
yes it was, good eye! That was one of my first few builds. Didn't lacquer it, and I really couldn't fly when I built it. I had a friend in the club maiden it for me. It flew nice, he handed me the radio and I promptly cartwheeled it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That was technically my maiden for it and I guess I've gotten a bit better since February:cool: It's a joy to fly!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
yes it was, good eye! That was one of my first few builds. Didn't lacquer it, and I really couldn't fly when I built it. I had a friend in the club maiden it for me. It flew nice, he handed me the radio and I promptly cartwheeled it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That was technically my maiden for it and I guess I've gotten a bit better since February:cool: It's a joy to fly!
Yea your flying is really good too. Nice and coordinated. One good trick that helped me is to try to slow the plane down to just above stall. Like the Scout is floaty. Keeping it airborne in a coordinated fashoin at slower speeds will help your fine tuning skills, also teaches the eye to recognize a stall. Helps you troubleshoot your the plane and your skills.

If you would lime to get adventurous you could try MiniacRC P-47. Its a masterseries type of build but easier then the overstreets builds just because it is smaller. Its a solid little airframe too. I have built two so far. One at original size and one at 125%. I have flown the larger one and it is so easy to fly. You might like it

bwarz

Master member
Yea your flying is really good too. Nice and coordinated. One good trick that helped me is to try to slow the plane down to just above stall. Like the Scout is floaty. Keeping it airborne in a coordinated fashoin at slower speeds will help your fine tuning skills, also teaches the eye to recognize a stall. Helps you troubleshoot your the plane and your skills.

If you would lime to get adventurous you could try MiniacRC P-47. Its a masterseries type of build but easier then the overstreets builds just because it is smaller. Its a solid little airframe too. I have built two so far. One at original size and one at 125%. I have flown the larger one and it is so easy to fly. You might like it

Thanks for the kind words! I do feel that my flying is improving - I just need to take more risks and push the skills up a bit now! I've got the plans for his P47, just haven't yet gotten up the nerve. I might have to print it out at 125% too and give it a shot at your suggestion! I did build MiniacRCs B25 - that was a fun build and fun to fly - but landing for me with some of the small ones has been challenging. I've got a mini PT17 mostly done, the Scout, an unpainted Mini BF109, a few plans waiting to be cut out...what's another one :LOL::ROFLMAO: I've even go a bronco that hasn't flown yet (it's been sitting since finishing it around Christmas - my second or third build!)

I've been working on slowing things down and getting used to the mushiness, throttling up in the turns, all kinds of fun. But slowing down for the landings, some of them just want to drop into that blasted cartwheel when I pull up just shy of the stall. Josh suggested with my bigger motors and bigger props I might be having too much mass spinning and when it slows down the whole plane is torquing. I went from a 7x4 on my zero to a 6x4 and the landing seemed a bit cleaner for the one trip in and I haven't made it back out to fly since :( Maybe tomorrow evening...