Life of the Simple Scout...

PoorManRC

Master member
That could only be called a SUCCESSFUL Maiden!!
Dude, LOVE your take on the Batry Hatch idea๐Ÿ’ก!!
Like the rear Turtle Deck TOO. ๐Ÿ˜œ looks a bit like mine. Great Minds.....

REALLY like the Hatch. MOST of my Batteries are for my RC Crawlers - and way TOO big for most FT Aircraft!!! ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜–
I've got a STACK of Rare Earth Magnets, and a SECOND Scout coming (if I haven't pissed him off!๐Ÿ˜œ)
It's for my Son, but I'll just give him the one I'm building, because I've found SO MANY ideas for what I want in my Aircraft!! ๐Ÿ˜

You also gave me another idea on this page....
To deal with the increased Takeoff and Landing speeds of Tubby Cubby....
Add CROW!
If it wasn't for the WEALTH of information that is this Forum, who knows where this old Lone Wolf would be! ๐Ÿ˜‰

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That could only be called a SUCCESSFUL Maiden!!
Dude, LOVE your take on the Batry Hatch idea๐Ÿ’ก!!
Like the rear Turtle Deck TOO. ๐Ÿ˜œ looks a bit like mine. Great Minds.....

REALLY like the Hatch. MOST of my Batteries are for my RC Crawlers - and way TOO big for most FT Aircraft!!! ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜–
I've got a STACK of Rare Earth Magnets, and a SECOND Scout coming (if I haven't pissed him off!๐Ÿ˜œ)
It's for my Son, but I'll just give him the one I'm building, because I've found SO MANY ideas for what I want in my Aircraft!! ๐Ÿ˜

You also gave me another idea on this page....
To deal with the increased Takeoff and Landing speeds of Tubby Cubby....
Add CROW!
If it wasn't for the WEALTH of information that is this Forum, who knows where this old Lone Wolf would be! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ok so I will bite, what idea are you talking about for your Tubby Cubby?

PoorManRC

Master member
How come I haven't seen any posts on your builds lately, the Scout or the Storch?
Or even the Cub rebuild?
I SAID what idea for the Cub - add Crow!! ๐Ÿ˜œ

The Cub will be a total redux - in a SEPARATE Thread. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
The Storch is merely on temporary hold, waiting for a WING, and some other bits that I can't afford yet...

The Scout is VERY active! Oddly, I'm STALLED because I CAN'T FIND my 0.9mm Hex Wrench that I dropped!! ๐Ÿ˜– I can't just run out to the Shops, like everyone else. Otherwise, I would've just bought a new one, like everyone else.... ๐Ÿ˜ž

She's made some strides (at my slow pace). I've only got 2 People commenting, so I'm not sure who's even following the build...

Tubby Cubby got lots of comments from several People (ONE entirely TOO much!)๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ฃ
Almost forgot.... lol ๐Ÿ˜‹

Oh yeah - I STABBED my Hand clean through with a micro Screwdriver.... Trying to loosen the HEX Screw on a Wheel Collet!!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜–
So.... I don't really have the full use of my Left Hand. I'm ambidextrous, but that only gets me so far.

..... I'm trying not to get bitter about current situation. I'll be honest, it DOES SUCK! ๐Ÿ˜–
It always seems to work out in the end. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
Update...
Had the opportunity to maiden the Scout today. It was a little windy but I took the chance anyway. Here is some video

Did lose it in the end and took a hit. No real damage other then some pride but a successful flight all said and done. Took it home and charged the batteries and took it out when the wind calmed down. Did some sustained inverted flight and 3 easy landings. No crashes. Altogether a good flight day.

nothing wrong with your fast flying! :LOL:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So I know it hasn't been long since I maidened this plane, and it has treated me well, but the fixed plywood firewall has given out on me today. It will be quite the operation to fix it and it would still look like a dogs breakfast,
20190903_210722.jpg

20190903_210736.jpg

or I could just build a new plane. I also have given up on the Spit recently so I am out a warbird. So I was thinkin of salvaging this hot rod and doing the P-40... a heavily modified P-40. I was kinda inspired to take the P-40 to the next level by what @bracesport has done to the Spit... with less 3D printing and more molding of the FB.

20190903_210750.jpg

Not sure... is this to much down thrust?...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I mean, itโ€™s a scout - it can fly under any circumstances...๐Ÿ˜‚
And it did. I flew another battery with it like that and it did fine. Not ideal but fine. I am thinking of making the firewalls out of some kind of plastic. This was a 3/16 aircraft grade plywood firewall and broke somewhat easily. I find it a pain to drill the holes just right to fit the bolt pattern so i am thinking of something a bit more flexible and has some impact absorbing properties to it. Its a learning curve

Marty72

Elite member
So Battleaxe, I've been following your trials and tribulations of the Scouts. So as a beginner myself, who is no stranger to augering a plane into the ground, which plane do you believe is easier to fly, the Mini Scout or the Simple Scout? Which can you fly slower?

Thanks in advance, Marty

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So Battleaxe, I've been following your trials and tribulations of the Scouts. So as a beginner myself, who is no stranger to augering a plane into the ground, which plane do you believe is easier to fly, the Mini Scout or the Simple Scout? Which can you fly slower?

Thanks in advance, Marty
Excellent question Marty. As you said you have been following and the first plane i flew a full batery through was the Mini Scout as a 3 channel RET, which it was designed for. Since i had so much success with that one i decided to build the standard size Scout to transition to the larger planes. Just made sense. My maiden on the Simple Scout as you can tell wasn't as graceful as expected. Mind you i originally built it as an RET to match the Mini. After the crash on the maiden I cut ailerons into it. By this time i was already flying the Spitfire as a bank and yank AET 3 channel and liked it alot more then just rudder/elevator/throttle, so going 4 channel on the Simple Scout made sense. Once the changes were made to 4 channel it was easier to fly then just a 3 chanmel RET.

So to answer your question I would go with the Simple Scout being that larger planes are more forgiving, a 4 channel or AET 3 channel set up allows for more control and it is actually a simple build too.

I am guessing you are fairly new to flying?

What motor set ups do you have planned for your builds?

Why do you like the Scouts?

Marty72

Elite member
Thanks for the detailed reply, that helps. Two weeks ago, I bought Hobby Zone Sport Cub S RTF (4 channel), for just over $100. I have always wondered about RC planes but never had the time. I now have the time, so I thought I'd see if RC planes are for me. I chose a small plane only because I don't have any large flying areas around me. I figure I'll fly a lot more if I can do it at a near by park. The only draw back to the small plane (2 oz) is it needs very low wind conditions, which are usually available first thing in the morning. The plane is extremely easy to fly in beginner mode, as it has the SAFE system. This is my first plane and someone without any experience (no simulator) can fly it, if you do your homework and try to understand how this all works before you fly it. I spent a lot of time on the bench playing with it.

The issue comes when I flip the switch to intermediate or experience mode. For me, it's extremely difficult to fly and that has been the source of my crashes. It has a panic button (or I can switch it back to beginner) but once in a while, I flip the switch the wrong way and crash. I've been trying to teach myself to fly off the safe system by switching it off and flying until things start to look bad, then I flip it back on. I'm beginning to wonder if the eflite game boy type transmitter (short range) is the problem. It just seems no matter how small the inputs, I get into porpoising the plane. I'm been experimenting with the cg location and trimming the plane but I'm not sure what is going on. I'm afraid that the SAFE system works so well that cg and trim errors (along with controller issues) are covered up.

So why the Scout. Well, I want to build and figure it's better solution for learning the hobby. I'm a building kind of guy anyway. I guess I'll buy a better transmitter and build a foam plane (planning on crashing), and learn to fly without the SAFE system. I'm thinking, as long as I don't put the plane in a tree, rebuilding planes is cheap (assume I can reuse all the components). I spent a lot of hours in my youth building model planes (that did nothing), so again, model building seems like a big part of the fun. I was planning at this point, just to go with the flite test Power pack B for the first build.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks for the detailed reply, that helps. Two weeks ago, I bought Hobby Zone Sport Cub S RTF (4 channel), for just over $100. I have always wondered about RC planes but never had the time. I now have the time, so I thought I'd see if RC planes are for me. I chose a small plane only because I don't have any large flying areas around me. I figure I'll fly a lot more if I can do it at a near by park. The only draw back to the small plane (2 oz) is it needs very low wind conditions, which are usually available first thing in the morning. The plane is extremely easy to fly in beginner mode, as it has the SAFE system. This is my first plane and someone without any experience (no simulator) can fly it, if you do your homework and try to understand how this all works before you fly it. I spent a lot of time on the bench playing with it.

The issue comes when I flip the switch to intermediate or experience mode. For me, it's extremely difficult to fly and that has been the source of my crashes. It has a panic button (or I can switch it back to beginner) but once in a while, I flip the switch the wrong way and crash. I've been trying to teach myself to fly off the safe system by switching it off and flying until things start to look bad, then I flip it back on. I'm beginning to wonder if the eflite game boy type transmitter (short range) is the problem. It just seems no matter how small the inputs, I get into porpoising the plane. I'm been experimenting with the cg location and trimming the plane but I'm not sure what is going on. I'm afraid that the SAFE system works so well that cg and trim errors (along with controller issues) are covered up.

So why the Scout. Well, I want to build and figure it's better solution for learning the hobby. I'm a building kind of guy anyway. I guess I'll buy a better transmitter and build a foam plane (planning on crashing), and learn to fly without the SAFE system. I'm thinking, as long as I don't put the plane in a tree, rebuilding planes is cheap (assume I can reuse all the components). I spent a lot of hours in my youth building model planes (that did nothing), so again, model building seems like a big part of the fun. I was planning at this point, just to go with the flite test Power pack B for the first build.
Power pack B is good for the Scout and a couple other planes but if you want versatility, if i was you i would go with the C pack. That way you can grow into it. Going slow is good for the limited space you have to fly in but the smaller the plane the more susceptible to weather you become, just like on the Sport Cub S. It was actually my first plane as well. The safe system is fun to get flying out of the box, instant gratification. And just like yourself as soon as i took it off safe mode things went south. It really isn't a plane to teach you to fly. Chances are that if you want to get flying down the Mini Scout might be your ticket. I ran mine on the F pack among other planes. There is a really good plane you might like called the Shrubsmacker designed by @Grifflyer. Its a high wing tractor style like the Sport Cub but a little bigger. Set it up for any channel configuration you choose and it can be a plane that grows with you as well. There are a couple threads in the forums on it, one of them is mine i do believe. I love that plane till i lost it in the trees lol.

Last edited:

Marty72

Elite member
So you think the Mini Scout is a better choice? Do you have to fly the Simple Scout faster making it require a larger field? I figured the larger Simple Scout would be easier to build (more room for hands). The reason for my interest in the Scout is I like the look of the WWI planes. I'd love to build a Bi or Tri plane, but we know how that would end, in tears at this point. The best choice for me is probably the Tiny Trainer but I'm just not excited by it. The Scout's have some style to them.

I appreciate the motor size suggestions. Does running a bigger, heavier motor require a higher flying speed or it insignificant? I've found flying slow allows me more time to work on fundamentals and trying to wire my brain to my controller so inputs up,down, left, right, throttle are second nature. I do like the idea of reusing all the components as much as possible and saving $.

It's interesting that you had the same plane, Sport Cub, and had the same experience. That SAFE system works too well. I can't believe how fast I can tip stall and end up diving into the ground without the SAFE on. The other issue with the Sports Cub is the brush motor doesn't last long at all.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So you think the Mini Scout is a better choice? Do you have to fly the Simple Scout faster making it require a larger field? I figured the larger Simple Scout would be easier to build (more room for hands). The reason for my interest in the Scout is I like the look of the WWI planes. I'd love to build a Bi or Tri plane, but we know how that would end, in tears at this point. The best choice for me is probably the Tiny Trainer but I'm just not excited by it. The Scout's have some style to them.

I appreciate the motor size suggestions. Does running a bigger, heavier motor require a higher flying speed or it insignificant? I've found flying slow allows me more time to work on fundamentals and trying to wire my brain to my controller so inputs up,down, left, right, throttle are second nature. I do like the idea of reusing all the components as much as possible and saving $.

It's interesting that you had the same plane, Sport Cub, and had the same experience. That SAFE system works too well. I can't believe how fast I can tip stall and end up diving into the ground without the SAFE on. The other issue with the Sports Cub is the brush motor doesn't last long at all.
Slowing things down does make sense. If you actually check out my youtube channel you will see my flights with the Mini Scout and you will see just because it was my first flights it still took up a lot of space for a small plane. Which was less then a couple months ago.

Now i only fly the larger planes because they are more forgiving and i can now fly them in a smaller space compared to flying the Minis when i started. I took up my Baby Blender today and kept it in a tight area even though its a larger plane. I have video of that biplane on my youtube channel as well, some good aerial stuff from a drone.

I am flatteted your following my story and you should subscribe to my youtube channel. If you feel inclined to video your flights you should upload them to youtube as well. That way if you post the vids on the forum there are things other members will be able to pick up on and help with tips and suggestions. We arent just here to help you build we also help you fly.

I am big on the build side just like yourself and I modify my builds all the time. I open a new thread everytime i start a new plane. Most recent is my NEXT LEVEL P-40 Group Build. I really enjoy the warbirds from WW2. You might want to take a look at my Baby Blender thread as well.

Any good advice i can give you is to fly lots. Try to go up everyday. And dont stop building. I usually have 3-4 planes i can switch the power pods to so if one goes down in a crash, i can switch it over and be flying again in 10 mins.

Marty72

Elite member
Thanks again for the responses. I too love the WWII planes, if I could fly, I'd have all the WWI and WWII planes. Not sure why, but I love the warbirds. For now, I need to pay my dues and learn what I'm doing . I'm leaning towards the Simple Scout, as I have a micro plane (same size as the mini Scout) and the Simple Scout is the next size up.

I've wondered how useful RFL 9 (simulator) would be. I have a hard time believing it replaces real flying. It's pretty pricey, otherwise I would have gotten it and tried it out for myself. I just hate to spend $180 just to find out it's not all that useful.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks again for the responses. I too love the WWII planes, if I could fly, I'd have all the WWI and WWII planes. Not sure why, but I love the warbirds. For now, I need to pay my dues and learn what I'm doing . I'm leaning towards the Simple Scout, as I have a micro plane (same size as the mini Scout) and the Simple Scout is the next size up.

I've wondered how useful RFL 9 (simulator) would be. I have a hard time believing it replaces real flying. It's pretty pricey, otherwise I would have gotten it and tried it out for myself. I just hate to spend $180 just to find out it's not all that useful.
I have tried a couple of free sims and i found they weren't realistic. On taildraggers it is really easy to ground loop on take offs and landings, which is a problem I struggled with, on the sim I couldn't get it to ground loop at all. So it wouldn't solve my problem.

The Simple Scout is an awesome choice. The wings size and chord makes it so easy to fly even at slower speeds. The control surfaces are big so at low rates it makes for a nice docile plane.

What transmitter are you thinking of goin with?

Marty72

Elite member
I'm struggling with the transmitter. If I knew for sure I was going to stick with this, the DX6e, but DXe is $100 bucks cheaper (69 vs 169), still working on that. Obviously, the more committed to this your are, the better transmitter you should get. Any suggestions? I haven't found any coupons or sales and FT packages don't over any discount advantage to buying components individually. Surprising. HH packages are a much better valve.

The Simple Scout appears to land on grass better than the mini and they have the same wing cubic loading, so they should be similar low speed flyers. If nothing else, it will be fun to build.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm struggling with the transmitter. If I knew for sure I was going to stick with this, the DX6e, but DXe is $100 bucks cheaper (69 vs 169), still working on that. Obviously, the more committed to this your are, the better transmitter you should get. Any suggestions? I haven't found any coupons or sales and FT packages don't over any discount advantage to buying components individually. Surprising. HH packages are a much better valve.

The Simple Scout appears to land on grass better than the mini and they have the same wing cubic loading, so they should be similar low speed flyers. If nothing else, it will be fun to build.
As far as transmitters go, I use the DXe and i really wish i would have bucked up and done the DX6 or DX8. Way easier to program. More options.

Most of my planes are belly landers and i hand launch. Way more consistant. Although ground take offs and landing is more scale. The bigger planes are easier to take off and land as well.

Start a build thread on your Scout and you will see the support you get from the members. Lots of good ideas as well.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The power pack b is good for the Scout if thats all you want to play with. There are a couple other planes it works with as well but if you want versatility if i was you i would go with the C pack. That way you can grow into it. Going slow is good for the limited space you have to fly in but the smaller the plane the more suseptable to weather you become, just like on the Sport Cub S. It was actually my first plane as well. The safe system is fun to get flying out of the box, instant gratification. And just like yourself as soon as i took it off safe mode things went south. It really isnt a plane to teach you to fly. Chances are that if you want to get flying down the Mini Scout might be your ticket. I ran mine on the F pack amoung other planes. There is a really good plane uyou might like called the Shrubsmacker designed by @Grifflyer. Its a high wing tractor style like the Sport Cub but a little bigger. Set it up for any channel configuration you choose and it can be a plane that hrows with you as well. There are a coue threads in the forums on it, one of them is mine i do believe. I love that plane till i lost it in the trees lol.
Promoting your plane again @Grifflyer, makin ya famous lol