Life of the Simple Scout...

Marty72

Elite member
Thanks, yeah, I'm pretty much set on the simple scout. As I start planning the build (as a first build), I've been going through what I have and what I need to buy. I need a better hot glue gun, Josh goes on about the Adtech 200, I can get that on Amazon for $33. Is there a better priced gun that can do long stretches of laying out glue as well?

Also, another build question. How do you guys cut out the fold channels on the Dollar Tree foam boards without going through the backside paper? On the build videos, Josh uses a blade with a dull tip to trace the edges but for cutting new channels, what do you guys typically do? Would that same approach work? I guess I could make a jig so the blade can only go so deep. But instead of reinventing the wheel, I'll ask guys who have already tackled the problem.

I appreciate the help.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The full size scout will actually probably slow down even more than the mini scout. Maybe it’s just because I always make my minis pretty heavy, but the full size scout is super slow and forgiving (if you haven’t mad your choice yet - I haven’t finished reading the thread!)
Hello my friend, long time no talk. How ya been?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I got my gun at the Dollar Store as well for like 10 bucks. It's not the Adtech Pro 200 but it works for me. I have done long runs with it and 99% of the time I don't run out of hot glue. It should be all you need for most of the builds. Just make sure it holds the larger diameter sticks, not the smaller ones.

As far as cutting the channels you could use a dull tip knife. Myself I do 2-3 cuts on the same line to keep them clean and straight. If you try to cut al the way though in one cut it usually comes out jagged and snarled even using a ruler. Try out on a scrap piece of foam, first cut along the line cuts through the paper only to direct the next couple cuts. The next cut goes a little deeper to score into the foam but not the paper on the other side. if this is a channel cut for a fold I stop there, if it is a cut through, a third cut completes the cut thought the paper on the other side. This process will give you the clean cuts you require to make a quality, accurate, square build. Pro tips... use a meatal straight edge where you can, and make sure it is a sharp blade. There are, like everything else Flitetest lol, YouTube vids on scratch building as well.

PoorManRC

Master member
Thanks, yeah, I'm pretty much set on the simple scout. As I start planning the build (as a first build), I've been going through what I have and what I need to buy. I need a better hot glue gun, Josh goes on about the Adtech 200, I can get that on Amazon for $33. Is there a better priced gun that can do long stretches of laying out glue as well?

Also, another build question. How do you guys cut out the fold channels on the Dollar Tree foam boards without going through the backside paper? On the build videos, Josh uses a blade with a dull tip to trace the edges but for cutting new channels, what do you guys typically do? Would that same approach work? I guess I could make a jig so the blade can only go so deep. But instead of reinventing the wheel, I'll ask guys who have already tackled the problem.

I appreciate the help.
I use the AdTech 80...
$16.95 at Wally World. 😉 Hasn't cooled on me yet - and that includes a 1560mm Storch Wing!!

Marty72

Elite member
You know, I don't spend enough time in these Dollar stores. ha. Sounds good, thanks again. I'll pick up some boards tomorrow and start screwing around with them. After today's success, I'm more interested in doing a build.

BTW, I didn't mean to hi jack your thread, it was never my intent. I was just curious about the difference between the Mini and the Simple Scout and it slowly drifted off. Only now has it dawn on me.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Use this thread all you like, I am actually done with it. My Scout is a dead wall hanger in the kids bedroom now, served me well. Actually your build could be chapter 2 to my build, it's all yours buddy. Post your pics here of your build progress. Because you are just starting out it will be a good continuation of the story. Mi Casa Su Casa... (probably not how you spell it lol)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

I appreciate the help.
A lot of guys use gift cards, but take my word for this - use propellers! They work awesome! Once you’ve done your score cut with your sharp raise blade, go through with the end of your prop - I love that tip! Good luck! I’m going to fly my scout once the weather clears up...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
A lot of guys use gift cards, but take my word for this - use propellers! They work awesome! Once you’ve done your score cut with your sharp raise blade, go through with the end of your prop - I love that tip! Good luck! I’m going to fly my scout once the weather clears up...
I never heard of the prop thing, how long have you been using that one?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hello my friend, long time no talk. How ya been?
I’ve been doing great! Been gone and then had nasty weather - that hasn’t left... I’m going to take up my scout and ft-22 once the weather cooperates. Also, here’s a sneak peak at my commuter paint job... 😉

Attachments

• 2F7DCE80-BE97-4D3F-9E3C-3C65181BAF0C.png
    2F7DCE80-BE97-4D3F-9E3C-3C65181BAF0C.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I’ve been doing great! Been gone and then had nasty weather - that hasn’t left... I’m going to take up my scout and ft-22 once the weather cooperates. Also, here’s a sneak peak at my commuter paint job... 😉
I like where the paint is going, what color is going to contrast with the red? Or is it just red and white?

You will be happy to know my next build is gonna be the FT-22. I only have the biplane to play with now and the P-40 is almost done, and I have this C pack set up for a pusher just sitting on the bench. I don't think I will get the Bronco flying again so it is time. Gonna need a winter plane as well, really wish I had a twin pack for a Sea Duck. I am gonna look up some float planes that I could get some inspiration from and make my own design.
I don’t remember when I first started using it, but since my work space is always so messy, I always have props lying around, whereas my gift cards are lost in the stuff...
I have always thrown out my props, like you they were always laying around on the bench and I got tired of them getting in the way. I was gonna make a prop wall as a memory board or something. I gotta try this little trick of yours

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I like where the paint is going, what color is going to contrast with the red? Or is it just red and white?

You will be happy to know my next build is gonna be the FT-22. I only have the biplane to play with now and the P-40 is almost done, and I have this C pack set up for a pusher just sitting on the bench. I don't think I will get the Bronco flying again so it is time. Gonna need a winter plane as well, really wish I had a twin pack for a Sea Duck. I am gonna look up some float planes that I could get some inspiration from and make my own design.

I have always thrown out my props, like you they were always laying around on the bench and I got tired of them getting in the way. I was gonna make a prop wall as a memory board or something. I gotta try this little trick of yours
Yay! I was looking at f-22 pics and dude - I really want to make a large scale model with twin 70mm edf’s and retracts and go all out! That is in line along with the t-28 and the airliner project...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Oh, and the Cessna I’m basing off the carbon-z Cessna, so it’ll have a little bit of black but not much else. It’s not my absolute favorite looking version, but it has a lot of pics from all different angles so that makes it a good plane to base mine off of...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My second c-pack motor randomly started working, but I don’t know how much I trust it... I might just pick up another 2218 motor for the sea duck I plane to do for the winter.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yay! I was looking at f-22 pics and dude - I really want to make a large scale model with twin 70mm edf’s and retracts and go all out! That is in line along with the t-28 and the airliner project...
What's the T-28? Never heard of that one
My second c-pack motor randomly started working, but I don’t know how much I trust it... I might just pick up another 2218 motor for the sea duck I plane to do for the winter.
Check this out
the-privateer.jpg

It's a pusher and an amphibious airframe. Twin boom and a low wing...
I may be able to base it off the plans below

Attachments

• AP_Eazy_Pusher Plans.pdf
    640.5 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
T-28 Trojan is a warbird that I want so may take my hand at modding/designing... that looks like a project-worthy plane! My first thoughts are an 80% explorer with ft scout/cub floats with a warbird wing... I might have to give this a shot!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Where did you get that, looks familiar
It’s some floats I built with a random wing I built that hasn’t taken to the skies yet, and then of course the good’ol explorer. I printed out plans for a 50% ish explorer, so I might try to do a mash-up if these things to get something that looks a little like the seaplane you posted... I think a mini explorer would be cool, I could run it off my 1808 and 2s maybe