Life of the Simple Scout...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It’s some floats I built with a random wing I built that hasn’t taken to the skies yet, and then of course the good’ol explorer. I printed out plans for a 50% ish explorer, so I might try to do a mash-up if these things to get something that looks a little like the seaplane you posted... I think a mini explorer would be cool, I could run it off my 1808 and 2s maybe
If @Headbang and @Photo001 can get a 70mm edf Viggen to fly on a F pack i cant see why a mini explorer wouldnt work

Marty72

Elite member
My Battleaxe inspired Simple Scout. So I started yesterday by gathering supplies, based on the help on got here, I bought a Adtech 80 and Gorilla glue sticks from Wally world, picked up foam boards, poster board and Aim dental Floss from Dollar Tree and started making templates to scratch build. I also bought a new box cutter and a hobby knife, more tape and paint. So It's been going pretty slow, making my share of mistakes. I'm sticking to the recommend plans on this build. So this morning I ordered B kit and a few other items from Flitetest. I finished the wings today, tomorrow I'm going to start cutting out the fuselage and maybe more if I make the time. I won't get the power pack B until next Thursday or Friday, so I'm no rush. This foam board is delicate stuff, I've been frustrated a bit my how easily I mar the surface. I'm getting a lot of practice handling and cutting this stuff, ha. Thanks guys for the help.

I have a painting question regarding masking. I have blue 3M painters tape, I was planning on using that on the foam board to paint the wings but after applying a strip a foam board and removing it, I because concerned (pretty strong adhesion). What tape do folks use to mask?

Attachments

• IMG_1757.JPG
    IMG_1757.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1756.JPG
    IMG_1756.JPG
    842.4 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My Battleaxe inspired Simple Scout. So I started yesterday by gathering supplies, based on the help on got here, I bought a Adtech 80 and Gorilla glue sticks from Wally world, picked up foam boards, poster board and Aim dental Floss from Dollar Tree and started making templates to scratch build. I also bought a new box cutter and a hobby knife, more tape and paint. So It's been going pretty slow, making my share of mistakes. I'm sticking to the recommend plans on this build. So this morning I ordered B kit and a few other items from Flitetest. I finished the wings today, tomorrow I'm going to start cutting out the fuselage and maybe more if I make the time. I won't get the power pack B until next Thursday or Friday, so I'm no rush. This foam board is delicate stuff, I've been frustrated a bit my how easily I mar the surface. I'm getting a lot of practice handling and cutting this stuff, ha. Thanks guys for the help.

I have a painting question regarding masking. I have blue 3M painters tape, I was planning on using that on the foam board to paint the wings but after applying a strip a foam board and removing it, I because concerned (pretty strong adhesion). What tape do folks use to mask?
It’s looking good! I just use normal masking tape but I stick it to my pants a couple times so it is a little less sticky. The stuff I was using was super sticky, but I have some rolls of masking tape that don’t take off the paper without unsticking it... use some scrap foam and figure out how your tape reacts with the foam. It should work well.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

Wings look good man, for your first build you have made it clean and straight. Got the dihedral in and you even did the scallops in the tail edge, I just cut mine straight across. You sir are well on your way.

How did the bevel cuts for the ailerons go for ya?

The masking tape you got has probably have the strongest adhesion, once applied it could pull the paper off the foam and ruin the finish. Pro tip, before you apply the tape, apply the tape to your pants or shirt a few times to pick up some lint to dull down the adhesive, then apply to the plane. It will still stick and hold just fine and peel off easier. Another tip for when you remove the tape from the plane, pull it parallel over top of itself as so not to pull up and away from the surface, reduces the chances of the paper peel issue

Looking good though, keep posting and we will keep up on your progress

Marty72

Elite member
Wings look good man, for your first build you have made it clean and straight. Got the dihedral in and you even did the scallops in the tail edge, I just cut mine straight across. You sir are well on your way.

How did the bevel cuts for the ailerons go for ya?

The masking tape you got has probably have the strongest adhesion, once applied it could pull the paper off the foam and ruin the finish. Pro tip, before you apply the tape, apply the tape to your pants or shirt a few times to pick up some lint to dull down the adhesive, then apply to the plane. It will still stick and hold just fine and peel off easier. Another tip for when you remove the tape from the plane, pull it parallel over top of itself as so not to pull up and away from the surface, reduces the chances of the paper peel issue

Looking good though, keep posting and we will keep up on your progress

Marty72

Elite member
Thanks, I've been trying to make things perfect and that just isn't going to happen, not sure why because it's going to get ding up (at best) anyway. I already dropped the wing and dinged a corner. ha.

yeah, great, thanks for the tape tips.

Yeah, I suck at beveling anything, Josh makes it look easy, I'm like a chimp with a razor blade (with brand new blades). I thinking there has to be a better way. I'm considering experimenting with a dremel, maybe sand paper. I don't care about the mess, I'd rather it look and perform correctly. Any other ways you guys have had success? I'll spend more time, I looking for a better way for a novice to get a better result.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
As far as the actual painting goes there are a few vids flitetest put out on painting tips. A couple huge tips there, if you are going to paint straight onto the paper it is good to note that the propellants in the spray can will melt and deform the foam, and the moisture in the paint will soak into the paper and delaminate it. Both issues you don't want to happen. So hold your spray can 12-20" away from the plane and do really light coats. The propellants disperse enough after about 12" so that should be noted and you want to do about 5-6 coats to gain the desired color, (really its just a misting each time). If you do the first few coats light and let it dry and cure over night, it should be sealed enough to make a couple of heavier coats to finish the next day.

I am actually painting my P-40 right now, and it takes some care and patience. this is goin to be a few day process for me. I did seal in my plane with oil based polyurethane first, that makes it more water proof and easier to paint. Another trick to foam board, which you could also do if you like

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks, I've been trying to make things perfect and that just isn't going to happen, not sure why because it's going to get ding up (at best) anyway. I already dropped the wing and dinged a corner. ha.

yeah, great, thanks for the tape tips.

Yeah, I suck at beveling anything, Josh makes it look easy, I'm like a chimp with a razor blade (with brand new blades). I thinking there has to be a better way. I'm considering experimenting with a dremel, maybe sand paper. I don't care about the mess, I'd rather it look and perform correctly. Any other ways you guys have had success? I'll spend more time, I looking for a better way for a novice to get a better result.
The bevel cuts can be tricky to use a razor, sand paper is the next best thing. 120 grit glued to a small block of wood is ideal. sand the bevel at a 45 degree angle, stopping every few strokes to get a feel for how far it goes. It is actually more forgiving then the blade because you can get the bevel nice and close to the paper without going through. Dremel will be way to aggressive and eat through the foam before you have time to react lol

PoorManRC

Master member

Welcome to the "Club"!!
I'd love to advise you on the Foam Board marking....
But my Arthritic Gorilla Hands have about the same problem!!! 😖
PRACTICE has made it somewhat better, but all my FT Aircraft have at least ONE wrinkle! 😜

EDIT - When it comes to Paint.... I've recently discovered that first coating the Plane with ACRYLIC Paint (the 50 cent stuff, any color you like). Especially on all exposed Foam....
It creates a Barrier that the Spray Paint won't penetrate!! 😎

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Wow! More great tips. Thanks.
Honestly there are tips to every step of the FB process, stuff you will use build to build. It gets pretty intuitive after a few, then you start to work out your own procedures. Before you know it you will come up with something out of necessity and will give some great tips of your own.

whackflyer

Master member

Sounds like you’re set up and well on your way to flying! Hope your build goes great! Good luck and have fun!

Marty72

Elite member
So yesterday I got a little flying in with the Crash Cub S. Changing the thrust angle (after repairing the nose after the last crash) help quite a bit. It seemed to trim out better and hold with a great range of throttle. I ended without a crash, and I flew better than last time (no in beginner mode). So I'm making progress, moving in the right direction. I'm not taking the Simple Scout up until I'm more proficient with the Crash Cub. So I jumped the gun on the build, but I really enjoy building, probably as much (maybe more) than the flying. They are just different activities and I understand it's not for everyone.

I did some more work on the Simple Scout. I'm calling it the Roo Baron (I'll explain later). I've made quite a few mistakes, all fixable but they all left some kind of cosmetic mark. I would have done much better to get the built kit (as a first build), as the majority of my mistakes are related to cutting. The cutting has taken way longer than I expected, but that's ok. But I'm getting a full education on building. ha

So I'm waiting for parts at this point, won't have them until Thursday. I can't really proceed until I get them. The wings, tail and chassis are done. I've been painting today. Again, some mistakes, but it's all a learning curve. You'll notice a fence around the parts being painted, well it's because I have a young Australian Cattle Dog mix, Roo. She is awesome dog, but she is into everything.
IMG_1759.JPG
IMG_1758.JPG
IMG_1760.JPG
IMG_1761.JPG
IMG_1764.JPG

Marty

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So yesterday I got a little flying in with the Crash Cub S. Changing the thrust angle (after repairing the nose after the last crash) help quite a bit. It seemed to trim out better and hold with a great range of throttle. I ended without a crash, and I flew better than last time (no in beginner mode). So I'm making progress, moving in the right direction. I'm not taking the Simple Scout up until I'm more proficient with the Crash Cub. So I jumped the gun on the build, but I really enjoy building, probably as much (maybe more) than the flying. They are just different activities and I understand it's not for everyone.

I did some more work on the Simple Scout. I'm calling it the Roo Baron (I'll explain later). I've made quite a few mistakes, all fixable but they all left some kind of cosmetic mark. I would have done much better to get the built kit (as a first build), as the majority of my mistakes are related to cutting. The cutting has taken way longer than I expected, but that's ok. But I'm getting a full education on building. ha

So I'm waiting for parts at this point, won't have them until Thursday. I can't really proceed until I get them. The wings, tail and chassis are done. I've been painting today. Again, some mistakes, but it's all a learning curve. You'll notice a fence around the parts being painted, well it's because I have a young Australian Cattle Dog mix, Roo. She is awesome dog, but she is into everything. View attachment 143171 View attachment 143172 View attachment 143173 View attachment 143174 View attachment 143175

Marty
Wow I gotta say your Aussie Shepard is so cute, and has that full of energy mischievous look as well.

Marty i am amazed at how good that plane looks so far, for a first build you are killing it. You chose the right plane to fly and really ran with the graphics to make it look great. I wish my first plane looked like that. As you can tell practice is the name of the game.

Be patient with the flying thing. I was in the same boat. I built over 8 planes before I the flying thing even clicked for me. Even the little woman told me to just do the building and give up on the flying, real supportive, to a point anyway. She saw how frustrated and disappointed I got trying to keep anything in the air. The Scout might actually be a better trainer then you Crash Cub now that you can get a couple batteries through it and not crash at all. It will handle the conditions better. If you can find a decent sized space to maiden it, like a park, school yard, farmers field, sod farm, or just a meadow somewhere. Being a larger airframe you can maintain orientation better as well.

Have you received your B pack yet?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Oh yea here is our newest addition to the family, got her about 6 weeks ago:
20190920_141429.jpg

She is a Boxer Cross named Luna, so playful with the kids and smart as the devil himself. She has figured out how to open closed doors and use the foot pedal on the garbage can to get into trouble there...

Marty72

Elite member
Thanks Battle Axe! No I haven't received anything yet, waiting on all the components (Thursday).

I do have a build question. Powerpod the prints have the firewall plate longer in height (vertical) than the powerpod. I've checked it again and again. I don't understand how that can work, it can't slide into the plane (I don't think). Maybe it will make more sense when I get the motor but right now, it makes no sense. In the video, he's assembling a mini powerpod. Is there a thrust angle on this motor (right)? I'm not seeing that either. Again, once of get the parts, it will probably clear up these questions.

Roo is a super high energy, do it all dog. This dog is smart too. Looks like a nice Boxer, they are characters. Roo was shelter dog, she'll 15 months old..

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The power pod for the Scout is like no other model in the FT fleet, so it isn't a swappable. You could glue and tape it on flush with the top and let the rest hang down below. the 2 skewers that go through the fuse hold the pod on. the pod is a sacrificial lamb when it comes to crashes. Just like when you crash the cub and have to open it up and re-glue the motor back on, this is the FT system and is actually easier to fix.

As far as thrust angles goes the video uses a generic clip of Josh putting a power pod together that works for the Scout and all the Minis. Some will have thrust angle and some wont, If your plans call for no thrust angle then it something you won't have to worry about. The Scout is designed around the B pack which is what you are getting and won't need thrust angle. The Scout I built had a motor that is twice the power of the B pack so I added down and right thrust to compensate. You won't have any issues.

I will say though, to be honest, at your rate of progress even on the flying side you will be kicking yourself by getting the B pack instead of the C. Once you move onto other planes to build you will want the C pack later, or you can just order one when you need it, and have 2 on the go. I like taking out a couple of planes when I go to fly whatever I am in the mood for. One guy I go flying with has an enclosed trailer he tows in behind his Jeep that has no less then 8-10 planes in for his flying excursions, I thought I was nuts lol