Life of the Simple Scout...

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I will be using the black and blue Scout as my trainer and test airframe for motors and props. I wanted it to have the widest most docile speed envelope and handling characteristics. The VG's on the outside should help with the tip stalls and may replace the effects of dihedral somewhat.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Fitted up the LG on the Scout last night. It was the struts from the FT-3D actually...
20200306_205616.jpg

Should do well on the trainer. Gonna order a smaller motor for this one and other planes later. Looking at the Leopard 2835 9T 900Kv. I have a 30 amp ESC that will work with this motor all the way up to 4s for this motor. Given that later I will buy another the same and order two matching ESC's for twin motor planes in future builds.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
No, Still holding my breath. I check the mail everyday and everyday I get disappointed. It's not to bad that it has been windy the past week. It would really suck to get it then can't fly because of weather lol

Zetoyoc

Elite member
No, Still holding my breath. I check the mail everyday and everyday I get disappointed. It's not to bad that it has been windy the past week. It would really suck to get it then can't fly because of weather lol
id probably be so excited to have the new rx that id try hovering in the living room if I couldn't go outside. I am sure nothing would get broken either

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Like Brittany would say "Oops, I did it again :oops:" The Seventh Son is born! That's right I built another Scout. This time at 85%, a plane to fit the B Pack sized 2212 it is rated for...
20200712_183848.jpg
This scaled down version was just around a sheet and a half to build, the fuse is as wide as a standard power pod so it comes out at 2", actually 3/8" narrower then the standard Scout...
20200712_112827.jpg

Then it is also a lot more robust, and more controllable in weather then the Mini Scout...
20200712_112708.jpg

Im using a cheap 2212 1400Kv on an 1800mah 3s with a 30amp ESC to power this, so pound for pound I think it would out perform the standard size Scout on the C pack. I am using 9g servos in not exactly stock locations. Usually the control rods and servos i put in behind the cockpit but this time i decided to bury them in the fuse...
20200712_130144.jpg

With all the gear in this is balanced right on the nose with room left to pull the battery forward once the receiver goes in. I am trying out the upside down power pod method on this one to see if i can make the given space more versatile and it works. I have an elastic band that is anchored to the rear BBQ skewer for the power pod that holds the battery in place and the ESC sits just above and locked in by the skewers themselves...
20200712_183815.jpg

I would say the 8" prop works perfect on it and once this radio shows up it will fly. Lately i have been trying to get the boys flying the Sport Cub S so this would be a good transition later. plus i have a buddy that want s to try flying so this would help there as well. Landing gear struts are currently drying from paint. There will be a maiden vid on it in the next month or so, fingers crossed

Tr33s

Like Brittany would say "Oops, I did it again :oops:" The Seventh Son is born! That's right I built another Scout. This time at 85%, a plane to fit the B Pack sized 2212 it is rated for... View attachment 174412 This scaled down version was just around a sheet and a half to build, the fuse is as wide as a standard power pod so it comes out at 2", actually 3/8" narrower then the standard Scout... View attachment 174414
Then it is also a lot more robust, and more controllable in weather then the Mini Scout... View attachment 174413
Im using a cheap 2212 1400Kv on an 1800mah 3s with a 30amp ESC to power this, so pound for pound I think it would out perform the standard size Scout on the C pack. I am using 9g servos in not exactly stock locations. Usually the control rods and servos i put in behind the cockpit but this time i decided to bury them in the fuse... View attachment 174415
With all the gear in this is balanced right on the nose with room left to pull the battery forward once the receiver goes in. I am trying out the upside down power pod method on this one to see if i can make the given space more versatile and it works. I have an elastic band that is anchored to the rear BBQ skewer for the power pod that holds the battery in place and the ESC sits just above and locked in by the skewers themselves... View attachment 174416
I would say the 8" prop works perfect on it and once this radio shows up it will fly. Lately i have been trying to get the boys flying the Sport Cub S so this would be a good transition later. plus i have a buddy that want s to try flying so this would help there as well. Landing gear struts are currently drying from paint. There will be a maiden vid on it in the next month or so, fingers crossed
Like Brittany would say "Oops, I did it again :oops:" The Seventh Son is born! That's right I built another Scout. This time at 85%, a plane to fit the B Pack sized 2212 it is rated for... View attachment 174412 This scaled down version was just around a sheet and a half to build, the fuse is as wide as a standard power pod so it comes out at 2", actually 3/8" narrower then the standard Scout... View attachment 174414
Then it is also a lot more robust, and more controllable in weather then the Mini Scout... View attachment 174413
Im using a cheap 2212 1400Kv on an 1800mah 3s with a 30amp ESC to power this, so pound for pound I think it would out perform the standard size Scout on the C pack. I am using 9g servos in not exactly stock locations. Usually the control rods and servos i put in behind the cockpit but this time i decided to bury them in the fuse... View attachment 174415
With all the gear in this is balanced right on the nose with room left to pull the battery forward once the receiver goes in. I am trying out the upside down power pod method on this one to see if i can make the given space more versatile and it works. I have an elastic band that is anchored to the rear BBQ skewer for the power pod that holds the battery in place and the ESC sits just above and locked in by the skewers themselves... View attachment 174416
Thanks for the update. It’s been so windy here I the Four Corners I haven’t had many opportunities to fly.

Attachments

• CF0E7986-5FC2-4DAC-9A9C-F6B2CE9F2D55.jpeg
    CF0E7986-5FC2-4DAC-9A9C-F6B2CE9F2D55.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Sweet! Is Brittany your wife or is it a reference to some movie I haven't seen yet (very possible lol)? I love how you did the LG on this one!!