Light post magnets

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I seem to have developed an issue with light posts. For those of you who are fans of Phoenix, the standard launch path is straight into a light post, which upon contact with planes creates confetti. I can testify that simulated impacts with this post are extremely realistic... I killed my p51 there yesterday, after re-fitting a new motor and shaft, with the intention of seeing how much better it looked in the air with the stupidly large spinner that came with the kit. I had to take off to the west, and turn south soon after, and slammed it into the lightpost. The plane was a writeoff.

Like they say in the movies, tomorrow is another day.

My only other operational plane was my Tuff Trainer, which I've decked out with LEDs for night flying. I took the kids out to a different oval. I put my new 9x receiver in and set the trims approximately to what I usually have it, but they weren't quite right. The rudder drifted the plane to the right, in between a tree and a light post at the end of the oval. Inexplicably, as I was trying to bring the plane back through this gap, it crashed into the light post. Two planes in two days. At least the Tuff, being tough, is fixable.

I asked my wife if she installed a light post magnet in my planes, which she denied. Perhaps I'm slowly morphing into a moth. Either way, somebody make it stop!!!!!!!!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
The only way to make it stop is to get it on video. With sound so the thud or crunch is clearly audible.

I seem to have developed an issue with light posts. For those of you who are fans of Phoenix, the standard launch path is straight into a light post, which upon contact with planes creates confetti. I can testify that simulated impacts with this post are extremely realistic... I killed my p51 there yesterday, after re-fitting a new motor and shaft, with the intention of seeing how much better it looked in the air with the stupidly large spinner that came with the kit. I had to take off to the west, and turn south soon after, and slammed it into the lightpost. The plane was a writeoff.

Like they say in the movies, tomorrow is another day.

My only other operational plane was my Tuff Trainer, which I've decked out with LEDs for night flying. I took the kids out to a different oval. I put my new 9x receiver in and set the trims approximately to what I usually have it, but they weren't quite right. The rudder drifted the plane to the right, in between a tree and a light post at the end of the oval. Inexplicably, as I was trying to bring the plane back through this gap, it crashed into the light post. Two planes in two days. At least the Tuff, being tough, is fixable.

I asked my wife if she installed a light post magnet in my planes, which she denied. Perhaps I'm slowly morphing into a moth. Either way, somebody make it stop!!!!!!!!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'd love to. My kids aren't old enough to use the cam yet and my flying buddy lives on the other side of the city... Although if I keep this form up the next flight will end the same way and will be easy to capture...

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I'd love to. My kids aren't old enough to use the cam yet and my flying buddy lives on the other side of the city... Although if I keep this form up the next flight will end the same way and will be easy to capture...

Yeah you´ll just point the camera on the light post and place it on the ground and then we can see a plane flying into the light post.

PaulT

Mentor
I know this may sound like a simple solution, but in Phoenix you can adjust your take off direction.
And (in your version of reality) you can do the same out in your field.

But there is a proportional law that states that hitting posts in a given area is inversely proportional to the size of the post.
(the smaller and fewer the more likely you will hit one)

I think we'll just call it Lobstermash Post Part'm from here on in!!:D
I know, I crack myself up. lol

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I know this may sound like a simple solution, but in Phoenix you can adjust your take off direction.
And (in your version of reality) you can do the same out in your field.

But there is a proportional law that states that hitting posts in a given area is inversely proportional to the size of the post.
(the smaller and fewer the more likely you will hit one)

I think we'll just call it Lobstermash Post Part'm from here on in!!:D
I know, I crack myself up. lol

Haha.
so the magnetic effect per light post increases as there are are less light post in total :D
This is getting a bit off topic btw :)

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The flights where I've hit the posts have all started from positions away from the path of the posts. The p51 drifted to the left (mostly due to wind) and the Tuff to the right (mostly due to trim). A magnetic field around the posts perfectly explains it ;)

I think PaulT's theorum is spot on, although Murphy's law is a key variable in the Lobstermash Post Part'm (LPP) effect, to the tune that LPP is likely to be almost completely countered by Jetpackninja's suggestion. I've never had anything camera-worthy happen to my planes while filming.

Hopefully the required equipment to test these theories will arrive before the weekend... Aust Post is being slow about delivering two of my parcels that should arrive in the next couple of days, and HK are taking their sweet time posting my EMS order... You can be sure the cameras will be out this weekend

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
You'll have to get this about 200 times bigger:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11169

2in1Mag.jpg

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Well, not quite 200 time bigger, but just big enough to de-magnetise the nose of the plane... Hang on, the motor might not like that much!

Bigshow4u

Eh, just stand in front of the post. That way it will hit you instead of the post. Then maybe the planes will be attracted to you instead.... Wait.... That might not be a good idea after all. LOL