Lightweight glider

jakexie6

Hey there! I was wondering how to build and design light? I'm planning on making a glider and I want to keep the wing loading pretty low so I want to learn some techniques to lower weight before I start building.

d8veh

Elite member
I think we need a few more details if you want sensible advice. How big is it? How do you intend to launch it? Will it be RC or free-flight? have you made gliders before?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Hey there! I was wondering how to build and design light?
If you’re using FB pull the paper off one side. Both sides if you are willing to laminate with packing tape of film.
If you’re using hot glue, use it sparingly, it’s heavy. Better yet use something else, foam tac or fabric tac or similar.

Planiac01

Hey man! I consider myself to be pretty experienced in gliders. I made one a while back which has extremely light wing loading, and its 15ft. scale up is my profile pic. Keep the wings larg with undercambered wing tips, and keep the frontal cross section at narrow as possible.

jakexie6

I think we need a few more details if you want sensible advice. How big is it? How do you intend to launch it? Will it be RC or free-flight? have you made gliders before?
I plan to make a 3m glider that will be hand launched. It will be RC and I've made a few gliders like this before. I'm aiming for a REALLY light wing loading.

jakexie6

Hey man! I consider myself to be pretty experienced in gliders. I made one a while back which has extremely light wing loading, and its 15ft. scale up is my profile pic. Keep the wings larg with undercambered wing tips, and keep the frontal cross section at narrow as possible.
I remember reading your article about that glider! The Galaxy right? That was actually a source of inspiration for me, a huge DTFB glider that's a BEAST.

Planiac01

I remember reading your article about that glider! The Galaxy right? That was actually a source of inspiration for me, a huge DTFB glider that's a BEAST.
Thanks a ton! What really helps for me for gliders is to make small prototypes and if the prototypes fly well, you can tweak them until they are perfect. From there, you can scale up to 3m. Lift generally scales up well but not down.