LiPo battery charging Error!

baronbernie

Been going through many LiPo batteries and after trying to charge a battery the charger's indicator light for ERROR comes on. Just exactly why this happens I can not explane. I have used a timer on my cell phone to be aware of the time used during the flight. Many times even when a shorter time is used, the error light still lights up. After checking with the LHS, the charger is fully functional and safe to use. What is happening? When the battery error light comes on can the battery be brought back to full charge? What happens to the battery when the error light comes on. My study of the electrical system seems to create more questions than answers.
Any help is appreciated. Thanx

Baron

earthsciteach

An overdrawn LiPo can be brought back, maybe, but you need a programmable charger to do it. The charger has to be set to NiMh. Trickle charge the battery until it is over the low voltage threshold for the charger, then balance charge it as a LiPo. If you do this, DO NOT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE BATTERY! LiPos can burn down your house!

buggyboat

I'm not sure how dangerous this is, but I do not have a programmable charger. I brought back a dead lipo by plugging a charged liposuction into it. Positive to positive and negative to negative. Let them sit for about 3 minutes. Then I stuck the dead one on my crappy balance port charger and it charged right up. It was a 2s 1300. Didn't even get warm.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I'm not sure how dangerous this is, but I do not have a programmable charger. I brought back a dead lipo by plugging a charged liposuction into it. Positive to positive and negative to negative. Let them sit for about 3 minutes. Then I stuck the dead one on my crappy balance port charger and it charged right up. It was a 2s 1300. Didn't even get warm.

IF a cell had been low enough to reverse charge you would have had a fire, also the current supplied by a direct connection to another battery would have been WAY above the recommended charge rate for a battery. Lucky you I would say. ;)

Thurmond

buggyboat

It was left hooked up for about a week and a half after being discharged. It was pretty dead. We used to do this with car batteries back in the day, but I know things are different with lipos. What is reverse charging and how does that happen? Thanks!