Lipo charger says 2S but it's a 3S

charlie256

I lost my first battery so bought another, itust have ran out of battery mid flight as my Tx made some beeping noise and the battery sign by Rx was flashing.

So I'm trying to charge it but when I get to the the point where it's checking, it says 2S on the left and 3S on the right.
I remember reading somewhere that this might be a problem so I haven't charged it yet.

Any advice? Is it safe to charge anyway?

Thanks
IMG_20200518_220324.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Do you have a designated battery checker? If so then you can check if any of the cells are damaged. My guess is that it may have a dead cell

charlie256

I do not unfortunately.
Is this likely? It's a brand new battery I'd only used it yesterday and then today.
Does this mean it's not safe to charge and should just buy another?

Thanks

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I do not unfortunately.
Is this likely? It's a brand new battery I'd only used it yesterday and then today.
Does this mean it's not safe to charge and should just buy another?

Thanks
Some brand new batteries do fail. If you have a multi-meter you can manually check the voltage. Just don't short anything.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
This is telling you that you selected a 2S charge and you have a 3S battery pugged into the charger.
Go to the beginning of the menu and select a 3S charge or balance, which ever you prefer.

charlie256

This is telling you that you selected a 2S charge and you have a 3S battery pugged into the charger.
Go to the beginning of the menu and select a 3S charge or balance, which ever you prefer.
I've double checked and I'm definitely selecting 3S

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
Any advice? Is it safe to charge anyway?
I have the same unit and it wont allow charging with that configuration ....if you click enter you get a message ... " balance connect error "

is that charger so old that the paint is chipping off the buttons as it appears in the photo, if so maybe its time

charlie256

When I select 2S in the menu then at the check stage everything says 2S.
So maybe one of the cells are damaged?
Can I charge it with 2S selected?
I really want to fly my plane today as the weather is great but don't want to do anything dangerous....

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Try a different setting, if changing, try balancing, if balance, try changing
I agree with @Aireal Anarchist, you may have a defective charger.
A picture or video of the selection may help. If you got the charger online, you will need the video to return it.

charlie256

After trying all the diff options and nothing changing, I tried the fast charge option and then shut it off after a second.
This gave the battery a drop of power because when I connect it to the plane, I now get the beeping noises which I wasn't before.

However, now when I try charge it again and choose 3S it beeps and says low voltage.

20200519_141824.gif

Can I just charge it as a 2S? What risks am I running?

It's unlikely to be the charger as it worked fine on my old battery and only having problems now that I am using a new battery.

Really appreciating all the responses and suggestions, thanks guys!

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
After trying all the diff options and nothing changing, I tried the fast charge option and then shut it off after a second.
This gave the battery a drop of power because when I connect it to the plane, I now get the beeping noises which I wasn't before.

However, now when I try charge it again and choose 3S it beeps and says low voltage.

View attachment 169298

Can I just charge it as a 2S? What risks am I running?

It's unlikely to be the charger as it worked fine on my old battery and only having problems now that I am using a new battery.
that makes a difference then its the battery that the problem it may have a dead cell, do you have a voltage checker that can read the voltage of the new battery and each individual cell at the balance plug, Im thinking possibly a bad solder joint of one balance wire to one cell

also I see you are choosing charge mode....you should be using "Balance Mode" for a 3S lipo for the health of the battery

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, I copied what you did and
First: 2.39
Second: 5.03
Third: 7.62

I presume that means there is something wrong?
Yes, you have seriously over discharged your battery. You may have ruined the pack. The cells should not go below 3.2v each.

I have heard of some using the lead acid setting to bring a pack back form the dead. THIS IS RISKY, DO NOT LEAVE THIS UNANTENDED. After charging about 15 minutes, once the pack has more of a charge, switch it to Lipo 3S balance, and finish the charge.

Have a bucket of sand ready in case of a Lipo fire. As always keep the battery away form anything flammable.

Last edited:

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I have successfully used 2 jumper wires from the battery discharge plugs and jump started the dead battery with a second full charged battery
you do this like cardio defibrillation, short bursts 60 sec at a time till you get the voltage up in the low cell(s) just high enough to get the battery charger to recognize your 3 cells again
as stated above this is risky..... and don't drain and damage the good battery doing this trying to charge that dead battery
just short 60 sec bursts till the charger see's the 3 cells

Last edited: