LiPo, do they needed to be discharged to or close to 3.3v / cell before charging?

Aaeros

I have been playing around with some stuff and my battery is currently at 72% overall, with about 3.9v per cell, or 11.91 total (3s). Is it okay to fully charge now or should I discharge until it is closer to the 3.3v /cell range?

FL_Engineer

Elite member
3.3v is your safe bottom, some like 3.5v. Storage should be around 3.7 so don't leave them discharged long after usage. Watch the video below for some basics.

FDS

Elite member
No they don’t.
If you want your lipos to last well and be reliable, land at 3.6v per cell minimum. I use the timer on the TX for that, I start by setting it for 3mins. Then land, check the cell voltage with a battery checker (essential purchase) then put another 2 mins on the timer and fly that.
Usually FT models will fly for 5-10 mins, depending on how hard you fly and temperature. Lipo is affected by air temps, when it’s cold out I take 40% off the timer on my first flight, then check the voltages.
Landing at 3.6v per cell gives you a bit of “reserve fuel” rather than just running onto the voltage limiter in the ESC and potentially crashing because it limits your throttle or pulses it.