LiPo Over Ethernet Charger - Because we can

Bollie

Don't you hate it when you need to charge your LiPo and all you have is a network connection. Well have I got the solution for you, a LiPo POE charger.

LiPo POE.jpg

Most corporate network switches have POE (Power Over Ethernet) so that they can power a network device like a phone or IP Camera. POE is normal 48V, we got a converter to step the voltage down to 12V @ 1A and one of the guys I work with thought we could charge a LiPo with it, it worked :applause: Didn't want to push it past 0.6Amps though

It is particle , absolutely not!
Why did my mate do it? Because he could

Notice the 'ironic' power board in the top right hand corner

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Love it. Perfect for charging 1s Lipos for mini heli action in the boardroom!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Lol try charging one over a phone line

Illegal in USA! But many use such devices anyway. If the phone company catches you they have a right to deny you further service. Watch out for the 100V ring pulse. Device/Charger POOF!

Thurmond

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Is that a good charger? Can it charge to 3s at the same time?
Best charger EVER!

And yes it is capable of charging more than one 3S battery at a time. (usually only do two or three)
I have a parallel board (from HobbyKing) and can charge 6 batteries at one time.
Gotta know what you are doing... read up on parallel charging...
Will only do 4.5 amps max but works like a charm.

UndCon

UndCon
You can also hook it up to a bunch of solar panels.

I salvaged a bunch of garden lights - harnessing the power of the sun 1 panel at the time :D

//UndCon

Tritium

I have reported this before but ALL my flying battery's are charged by solar panel.

Thurmond

Bollie

Illegal in USA! But many use such devices anyway. If the phone company catches you they have a right to deny you further service. Watch out for the 100V ring pulse. Device/Charger POOF!

Thurmond

Reset assured no laws we're broken during this experiment, It's connected to our IP network, nothing to do with the public phone system offered by telco's

BTW it is a great charger, It charges lipo, life nimh and lead acid, I'm using it at the moment to top up an old car battery that we take out with us to the field to charge off, saves running the car battery flat. It's max charge rate is 50W but the biggest battery I have is 3s 5000mah so I can charge that in about 1 hour.
We also hook a fluro tube up to the car battery so we have some light when night flying or running night tracks with RC cars.

hobbyprince

lol yeah that's awesome! You should market it and sell it to all the geeks hahaha. What part of Perth are you from bollie?

Tritium

Bollie, My comment was directed at the Phone Line powered comment. Private networks are none of the Telephone companies business or concern unless they are also your ISP in which case they can regulate certain activities that cross network boundaries.

Thurmond

hobbyprince

awesome! i drive past one of the catholic schools up there every day after work and always see a few axn floaters on the oval. I work at the local hobby store hahaha