Lithium-Ion experiments

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I recently became interested in lithium ion batteries after seeing them in a few record breaking aircrafts so I decided to experiment a bit with those because it sounds too good to be true.
I ordered a 600mm flying wing from banggood with 2 18650 cells made by Sanyo that are supposed to be very good quality.
They have a nominal capacity of 2600mah and should be able to deliver 5 amps which isn't much but that plane doesn't need a lot, I also got a 2300kv red bottom motor to power since I heard good thing about them.
DSC_7525.JPG
That's the plane, all up weight is 247 grams and "dry" weight without battery is 152 grams.

DSC_7526.JPG
And the battery, 95 grams is what you would expect for a lipo between 800 and 1000mah of capacity but a lipo with 2600 mah will be like 300 grams.

So you probably want to know how good it performs, well it's very good!
Before I was flying with this battery I was flying the plane on a 2s 500mah one and found it flies happily at 50% of throttle so I set my throttle hold to 50%.
Earlier today I went to fly with the custom pack and flew it for half an hour at 50% throttle all the time, my plan was to wait until the ESC low voltage cutoff activates (at 3.3v).
It didn't trigger, I landed at 30 minutes because my hands were freezing and the battery was still at 3.77V per cell so I can expect to fly easily one hour!
I will have to do more testing about that but I know that it flies great!

My plan is to get a skywalker falcon and build a custom 6S pack, I calculated that with a 650kv motor and 8x4 prop it should be in the sweet spot of those batteries and give me plenty of power AND flight time! :cool:

I also found out that Sanyo makes 3500mah cells that are supposed to be able to deliver 10 amps for the same weight and just slightly more expensive so I consider powering 800mm wings with those.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
LiIon are definitely superior when a high discharge rate isn't required. I have a bunch of them for my vape gear but haven't tried them in a plane yet. I have a couple of small foam builds planned for this winter, will have to give it a try in the spring.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I just charged the battery, put 1626mah back into the battery so I still have about 800mah to spare.
Not bad, anyways it starts getting boring flying laps after 20 minutes but will be different when I put fpv on it.