LitterBug's 22-23 Winter build of AgentC's EZ Bronco

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Been cluttering up AgentC's thread and decided it would be better for me to post up my own thread for my winter build. Planning on using a bunch of old brushed clearance parts hoarded over the years. FT used to have a 3 channel EZ-power pack and they still sell the 2 channel version. AgentC's design will work with either of those, but I may take this a step further and make it a four or five channel build. His V1.4 plans were designed for the 3 channel, and the current 1.5 version will work with the 2 channel.
EZBronco.png

STM32F1-FC: Beef's Brushed Board (BBB) based on the Naze32. Has 4 brushed outputs and 4 PWM outputs.
Firmware: Currently Betaflight 3.2.5 (last version for F1 based FCs)
Motors: TBD Misc clearance brushed motors
Props: TBD Misc Clearance Brushed sized props
RX: TBD Serial protocol micro RX
Servos: Misc linear Horizon Hobby from crashed BNF micros + "new" old stock
Battery: TBD 1S lipo
LEDs: SURE! It could use some lazers LOL!

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Been working on getting the hardware side of things going before I start cutting foam. Have way too many brushed parts laying around that I've picked up on clearance for pennies on the dollar over the years. Here's a picture of my first "working" electronics with 2 channel brushed mix running on BetaFlight 3.2.5
IMG_20221201_095940_185.jpg

The box beneath is full of props/motors/fcs/servos/etc for building micros and OG Tiny Whoops.

Current BetaFlight mixer config:
Code:
# Betaflight / NAZE (AFNA) 3.2.5 Feb 11 2018 / 00:40:11 (6e69ff00c) MSP API: 1.36
resource MOTOR 1 A08
resource MOTOR 2 A11
resource MOTOR 3 NONE
resource MOTOR 4 NONE
resource MOTOR 5 NONE
resource MOTOR 6 NONE
resource SERVO 1 B08
resource SERVO 2 B09
mixer CUSTOMAIRPLANE
mmix 0  1.000  0.000  0.000  0.300
mmix 1  1.000  0.000  0.000 -0.300
feature RX_SERIAL
set serialrx_provider = SBUS
set motor_pwm_protocol = BRUSHED

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Is there an alternative source for the 3 ch flight controllers?
That's what I am developing in this thread. I want to go through a few variations that are plausible including running straight off a regular RX. I'll try to document things in a way that others can use.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have been trying a good part of the afternoon to figure out why I couldn't get A) my RX to bind, and B) channels to move in the RX tab of the BetaFlight Configurator. Well...
A) My RadioMaster TX16S 4-in-1 module would not bind to the TBW-FrSky-RX (COMPATIBLE) in D8 mode. Finally dug out my external XJT module and it bound up 1st try in D8 mode.... <sigh> Need to look for firmware update for the internal 4-in-1 module, and/or report the issue to the Open* forums if there are no updates to fix the issue.​
B) Tried connect Sbus to the PPM and SPEK inputs with no luck of channel movement on the reciever tab. Finally decided that the board only had PPM and SPEK not SBUS marked on it and I should switch the RX into PPM mode. BINGO! So now I have TX/RX and not just configurator control.​

Playing with obsolete/discontinued/undocumented (or no longer documented broken links) can be entertaining! But hopefully someone else can learn from my leanings today. Including my future self when I can't remember how I got all this to work! Probably need to re-calibrate my sticks, or adjust the model in my TX. endpoints and centers are a tad off.
1669933127248.png

Honestly, I thought the foam cutting would have started by now! ON TO THE CUTTING!

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
OK, ok...., had to patch the 4-in-1 first before the cutting. Updating from V1.3.3.7 to V1.3.3.20 fixed the D8 binding issue with the internal TX16S module! Also was working on flashing firmware on a brushed F3 EVO board. I gave up on the RX for it since it is integrated and not producing a usable signal. There are exposed TX/RX pins that I can use another RX on so done with it for now.

ON TO THE CUTTING!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Been slowly cutting templates and now foam. I'm used to using FT kits, so my foam cutting is pretty rough. There was also a spilled coffee incident along the way, and started with a rather beat up sheet of DTFB. D'OH! Should have my first build ready by the first 2023 indoor fly.
IMG_20221215_225846882.jpg

May be time to fire up Wifey's cricut and make some stiffer templates out of thicker material. (Manilla folder)

Last edited:

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Been slowly cutting templates and now foam. I'm used to using FT kits, so my foam cutting is pretty rough. There was also a spilled coffee incident along the way, and started with a rather beat up sheet of DTFB. D'OH! Should have my first build ready by the first 2023 indoor fly.
View attachment 232940

May be time to fire up Wifey's cricut and make some stiffer templates out of thicker material. (Manilla folder)
The BEST Community EZ plane, hands down! (y)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Cutting patterns, tracing, then cutting is less than optimal and my build was turning out rather asymmetric/warped. LOL

Playing with LightBurn so I can use a laser cutter to make a more precise build.
1673585245209.png

Captain Video

I have been trying a good part of the afternoon to figure out why I couldn't get A) my RX to bind, and B) channels to move in the RX tab of the BetaFlight Configurator. Well...
A) My RadioMaster TX16S 4-in-1 module would not bind to the TBW-FrSky-RX (COMPATIBLE) in D8 mode. Finally dug out my external XJT module and it bound up 1st try in D8 mode.... <sigh> Need to look for firmware update for the internal 4-in-1 module, and/or report the issue to the Open* forums if there are no updates to fix the issue.​
B) Tried connect Sbus to the PPM and SPEK inputs with no luck of channel movement on the reciever tab. Finally decided that the board only had PPM and SPEK not SBUS marked on it and I should switch the RX into PPM mode. BINGO! So now I have TX/RX and not just configurator control.​

Playing with obsolete/discontinued/undocumented (or no longer documented broken links) can be entertaining! But hopefully someone else can learn from my leanings today. Including my future self when I can't remember how I got all this to work! Probably need to re-calibrate my sticks, or adjust the model in my TX. endpoints and centers are a tad off.
View attachment 232640

Honestly, I thought the foam cutting would have started by now! ON TO THE CUTTING!

Cheers!
LitterBug
Hey Litterbug. If you are going to FF’23 perhaps you can help me with my TX 16.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hey Litterbug. If you are going to FF’23 perhaps you can help me with my TX 16.
Sure thing! I am bringing all my gear to help out where I can with all the digital stuff.

Hoping to pick up a full size FT Bronco kit If they have one at the store. Need to finish this one TINY one first. Maybe at FF.