LitterBug's 3D printed (mostly) Dual Tilt EZ Tricopter

LitterBug

Techno Nut
EGADZ! NOT YET ANOTHER TRICOPTER LITTERBUG! SAY IT ISN"T SO!

Yes, yes it's true.... Taking the EZ BiCopter plate from a while back, and have added another boom mount to turn the Bicopter into a dual tilt Tricopter. Expecting to have something relatively soon, since I just need to print two plates up and move the motor arm from the EZBi, to the EZTri plates. Printing will commence tonight..... Expect a DTFc FC with dRonin and custom mixer.

EZtriPlate.png

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If at first you dont succeed Tri Tri Tri again.
If at first you DO succeed Tri Tri again.

Just wondering... does Dronin speak in trinary?

sorry Im TRI-ing to be funny.

Is this the model you will TRI to fly Wile E on? Or will you TRI on something else?

Tri not to kill me.. I have had too much coffee after dinner and Im a tad wound up.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
If at first you dont succeed Tri Tri Tri again.
If at first you DO succeed Tri Tri again.

Just wondering... does Dronin speak in trinary?

sorry Im TRI-ing to be funny.

Is this the model you will TRI to fly Wile E on? Or will you TRI on something else?

Tri not to kill me.. I have had too much coffee after dinner and Im a tad wound up.

TriBorg
You are such a TriRant. Are you wearing Tri-Die shirts? Tri not to eat to many French-Tris. Is it TriDay yet? I think I saw Wile E. chasing a Triranasaurus Rex.

Cheers!
LitterTri

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
TriBorg
You are such a TriRant. Are you wearing Tri-Die shirts? Tri not to eat to many French-Tris. Is it TriDay yet? I think I saw Wile E. chasing a Triranasaurus Rex.

Cheers!
LitterTri

Thats actually pretty creepy... yes I WAS wearing Tridyed shirt.. the arms anyways hehe. but on a bright notr everyone loves trighetti. Triborg out.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
THIRD TRI at the plate is the charm.

The EZBi has been dismanteled, and the boom moved to the EZTri Plates. Have some spare RCE Mini Tri booms that look to be the perfect length for the tail boom. Looking at several motor mount options in my RCE Parts box.

EZtriProgress.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Oblique Active Tilt TriBorg. But on the mini Tricopter with the angled front arms, I'd be using it to straighten the tilt out.

I've got the rear mount printed and everything mocked up. I'm using another one of Motorpixiegimbal's designs from thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:613225 Will need longer hardware to mount the rear motor.

IMG_20191219_220627712_HDR.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I've been playing with the dRonin mixer for the EZTri. My thought is I always want to keep the frame level on the pitch axis and "manually" tilt the props forward/back for propulsion. This is less of a challenge with the Tricopter since the tail motor can keep pitch level. I'll use a fifth RC channel (ACC0) to dynamically set "pitch" and will swap the standard pitch stick for ACC0 to control propulsion angle of the motors. If I want to pitch, I can use the ACC0 slider to set the pitch angle. In theory, I should be able to do what looks like High and negative Alpha hovers.

Port assignment on the DTFc:and the associated mix for the EZtri
1: Right servo -- ACC0, Yaw
2: Left servo -- ACC0, Yaw
3: Tail motor -- Thrust, Pitch
4: Right motor -- Thrust , Roll
5: Left Motor -- Thrust, Roll

In theory, this mix will also be much better for the Bicopter compared to what I've been using. In the case of the bicopter, only the servos can be used to control pitch. Pitch should be set to leveling mode and pitch should ALWAYS = 0. Then the ACC0 will control forward/back propulsion. (swap pitch/ACC0 channels in radio) I'll have to check my port assignments on my RCE Bicopter. It is built with a RCE F3FC but the mix should be set something like this:
Right Servo -- ACC0, Pitch, Yaw
Left Servo -- ACC0, Pitch, Yaw
Right Motor -- Thrust, Roll
Left Motor -- Thrust, Roll

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
For those people who are more in line with the *Flight mixers, I've been looking at going down that route as well. Here's the quick and dirty, not so complete, MIXER, and SMIX tables..
Mixer
{ 1.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f }, // REAR (pitch)
{ 1.0f, -1.0f, 0f, 0.0f }, // RIGHT (roll)
{ 1.0f, 1.0f, 0f, 0.0f }, // LEFT (roll)
Smix
{ SERVO_LEFT, INPUT_STABILIZED_YAW, 100, 0, 0, 100, 0 },
{ SERVO_LEFT, INPUT_RC_AUX1 , -100, 0, 0, 100, 0 }, // Thrust
{ SERVO_RIGHT, INPUT_STABILIZED_YAW, 100, 0, 0, 100, 0 },
{ SERVO_RIGHT,INPUT_RC_AUX1 , 100, 0, 0, 100, 0 }, // Thrust

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Mo better closer to this for *Flight:

The mmix statement has the following syntax: mmix n THROTTLE ROLL PITCH YAW
The smix statement has the following syntax: smix servo, input, rate, speed, min, max, bo

Motor 1 = rear
Motor 2 = right
Motor 3 = Left

Servo 5 = Right
Servo 6 = Left

So the *Flight mixing will be close to this (will be surprised if no tweaking is needed):

mixer custom
mmix reset

mmix 1 1 0 1 0 // REAR (Stab pitch)
mmix 2 1 -1 0 0 // Right (Stab roll)
mmix 3 1 1 0 0 // Left (Stab roll)

smix reset

smix 5 2 100 0 0 100 0 // Right (Stab yaw)
smix 5 8 100 0 0 100 0 // Right (RC Aux1)
smix 6 2 100 0 0 100 0 // Left (Stab yaw)
smix 6 8 -100 0 0 100 0 // Left (RC Aux1)

Cheers!
LitterBug