LitterBug's FT Gremlin Sized 2" Tricopter

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This design/build has been in the works for about 2 years with collaboration from some folks over at @David Windestål's forums and Thingiverse on the frame and firmware.
Screenshot from 2019-12-07 14-43-08.png

Build Specs:
Frame: 3D printed in PLA: Variations of https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:363...
FC: Omnibus F4 nano V3 LC
Firmware: Triflight (merged with BetaFlight 4 by JIhlein)
Servo: BlueBird BMS-101HV nano (feedback wire added) (700+ DPS)
ESCs: 4in1 10A??
Motors: SunnySky 1104 7500kv
Props: GemFan 2040
RX: LemonRX Satellite
BEC?? WHO NEEDS ONE? 2S straight to the HV Servo FTW!

Tail servo testing

More to come after I finish printing a dummy prop so the pivot angle can be measured and set correctly

Cheers!
LitterBug

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
It will run on the "stock" F3FC, but that's about all we have it working on as far as F3 goes. Just not enough memory for BF and BF is dropping support of F3

LB
Jeeez. I had to stop updating CF when they stopped supporting my Naze32 rev 5...

Twitchity always wanted a mini-tricopter but the hardware just wasn't there in 2015. I hope he gets to see this...

Another great build there @LitterBug. Looking forward to seeing this one fly.

Are you planning on going FPV with this?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
It will run on the "stock" F3FC, but that's about all we have it working on as far as F3 goes. Just not enough memory for BF and BF is dropping support of F3

LB

Sweet, I have a new F3FC sitting on the shelf. Been way out of the loop lately, I haven't even tried BF4 yet lol.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I still run the dRonin based TriFlight on my remaining F3 builds. I had the latest on a Baby Tri and F3FC for initial testing, but updated that one to a matek F722-STD board for F7 testing. I have one F3FC left in a Baby Tri, one in a Bicotper, and one on the bench. I want to modify the DTFc (Doge) target to work with the latest since I still have that board in a few builds too. (mini tri and HK Y-3) Actually thinking about puting the other F3FC in the HK Y-3. Really need to get that in the air.

Cheers,
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Jeeez. I had to stop updating CF when they stopped supporting my Naze32 rev 5...

Twitchity always wanted a mini-tricopter but the hardware just wasn't there in 2015. I hope he gets to see this...

Another great build there @LitterBug. Looking forward to seeing this one fly.

Are you planning on going FPV with this?

Yeah, Going for basic flight first, the will add FPV. This is a fairly minimal build for indoor flying. I have a very lightweight FX806T camera setup that will fit this build nicely. https://www.buddyrc.com/fx806t-micro-5-8ghz-40ch-25mw-vtx-v60t-micro-fpv-camera-combo.html
just need to solder it up and tape it on... (or 3D print a camera holder).

So far without camera or battery it is 51g. That's without really trying hard to keep weight off.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would think something that small and lite you would be able to eliminate the tail servo and manipulate two of the three motor speeds and torque to operate the yaw axis. Specially now we have higher power motors and much better speed controllers.

Should be able to torque around just like a quad I would think at this point.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I would think something that small and lite you would be able to eliminate the tail servo and manipulate two of the three motor speeds and torque to operate the yaw axis. Specially now we have higher power motors and much better speed controllers.

You can turn great in one direction, but even straight flight would be a challenge with the uneven torque.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor

You can turn great in one direction, but even straight flight would be a challenge with the uneven torque.

I always wanted to make a tiny Y-6 just for this reason.

Imagine 6, 7,500kv motors all screaming at once. That should get the cat running for the door. ;)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I always wanted to make a tiny Y-6 just for this reason.

Imagine 6, 7,500kv motors all screaming at once. That should get the cat running for the door. ;)
I don't have to imagine. The OctoUFO has 8 X 1102 10,000kv motors with tri blade1930 props screaming and resonating on the 3D printed frame. Maybe summore vids should be done.....

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Found it in the FliteFest'17 video! It's cued up to start at that point around 2:52. Wile was inspired by the PPG Paragliding team.

Screenshot from 2019-12-09 07-57-41.png

Screenshot from 2019-12-09 07-58-06.png

Last edited: