Little problem with the Ft Long ez

The~Birdman

I'm not a very experienced RC pilot but I can keep a plane in the air. I have my flown the Ft bloody baron for a couple of month, and I didn't really have any problem with it. But I recently build a Ft Long ez and tried to fly it for the first time today, it went inverted the second I launched it and smashed into the ground. I patched it up and retried it, and the same thing happened. I use the A-pack, a 3s battery, it was a bit nose heavy, and there were quite a bit of wind today when I tried.

I'm dead confused about why it went so poorly, any ideas as to what happened and how I can prevent it?

kilroy07

Legendary member
I'm assuming you are saying it rolled (longitudinal axis) when it went inverted and not looped.
I had similar result recently with my Goblin... (and come to think about it my $10 foam glider before that) both were caused by a stripped servo... That is one one side was getting control and the other wasn't... To test gently move each servo through it's travel. If one bites and grinds, it's bad...

Hope this helps.

d8veh

Elite member
Is your propeller definitely pushing the plane in the right direction? Did you double check that all your servos are moving in the right direction?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
sounds like ailerons reversed, too much throttle on launch, or not enough expo and too much throw.

good luck,

me :cool:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
A twist in the wing will also cause a roll. It very easy to build a twisted wing.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I'm not a very experienced RC pilot but I can keep a plane in the air. I have my flown the Ft bloody baron for a couple of month, and I didn't really have any problem with it. But I recently build a Ft Long ez and tried to fly it for the first time today, it went inverted the second I launched it and smashed into the ground. I patched it up and retried it, and the same thing happened. I use the A-pack, a 3s battery, it was a bit nose heavy, and there were quite a bit of wind today when I tried.

I'm dead confused about why it went so poorly, any ideas as to what happened and how I can prevent it?
Hard to guess without any clues. A pic might help. A video would be better!

Being "Nose heavy" is not a good idea as this puts too much weight forward to be supported by the canard. In such a case the elevonss must reduce the wing lift in an effort to raise the nose to climb. If your elevon deflections are not EXACTLY equal and of EQUAL effect then a roll will definitely ensue and the rest is exactly as described. Better just a tad tail heavy than even the slightest bit nose heavy on this design.

Just my opinion of course!

Have fun!