Location Change

MountianFlyingWV

User of Gorilla Glue
Well my parents got a job offer in Florida.......Kinda hate to say it but i may be leaving my mountainous heaven called west virginia. I'll have to change my name to SwampFlyerFL i guess :(
Anyways i have a question?
Hows the flying down there? And how are the flyers?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Ugh. I'd hate that. I really love the mountains. Skiing is awesome, but maybe you can take up water skiing.:p

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
oooh . . . middle of nowhere . . .

Grew up in that neck of the woods . . . more specific?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Woods is right. I seem to recall that area being pretty much all wooded area, but it's been a few, well... more than a few years!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
woods and swamp :p

Been by there recently? A lot of the trees in the region have gotten shorter, wider and squarer. still hard to navigate around, though you do it in a car rather than on foot . . .

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Just below orlando flyingmonkey. a few minutes from lakeland

Several hours from where I am, but...

You'll be close to Fantasy of Flight, an awesome aviation museum. You'll have the Sun-n-Fun grounds nearby, with their museum and annual full scale fly in. It's also a pretty active area for FPV pilots as well. There's going to be a big FPV meet down that way next weekend.

The lack of mountains will certainly suck though. I know that's the one thing I really miss about living up north.

MountianFlyingWV

User of Gorilla Glue
Several hours from where I am, but...

You'll be close to Fantasy of Flight, an awesome aviation museum. You'll have the Sun-n-Fun grounds nearby, with their museum and annual full scale fly in. It's also a pretty active area for FPV pilots as well. There's going to be a big FPV meet down that way next weekend.

The lack of mountains will certainly suck though. I know that's the one thing I really miss about living up north.

You wont believe it. But the place my parents will be working at runs up to the fence line of fantasy of flight. You can even hear the planes taxiing.
Also yeah i have a hard time thinking about leqving the mountains. Because i have never lived in a place where i can see the horizon.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Ah . . . Polk City. Geographic center of Florida. You really are moving to the middle of nowhere.

Grew up in Groveland, about 30 minutes north, just the other side of the Green swamp. Also lived in Lake Alfred, 5 mi to the southeast for a few years.

If you're up for the drive, the group running the FPV fly-in has regular meetings in Leesburg, roughly an hour north. Seems like a good group -- safe, but not overly so. They tend to hang out in the FPVlab forum.

Also looks like there's a big flyin in Zepher hills a the end of Oct., about 30-45 min away:
http://www.zephr.info/index.html

That region is flat, but riddled with lakes. I'd recommend investing in a boat and a water plane . . . the large Icon A5 is on sale. more interested in building? Perhaps a Polaris -- 22,000 posts on RC groups can't all be "I hate it!":

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922465

The boat? well that's to go fetch your plane after it crashes -- just say out of the weeds ;)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Spent a few years in the area as a very young lad, just a bit north of there in the Homosassa and Crystal River area, and had relatives that lived out in the Highlands, we made that journey every couple of weeks or so. At that time, it was very wooded and I don't recall very many open areas, but I'm sure that has changed in the 30 or so years that have passed.

I ended up back somewhat near there in the 90's, when I moved to St Pete, but never got back over towards Leesburg during that time, so it's been a good while since I've seen the area. It's definitely not mountains, but it has it's own charm. A lot of lakes all over that area, and you'll be close to some of the best attractions in Florida!

earthsciteach

Embrace it! Bass fishing is phenomenal! Its a reasonable drive to the ocean or the gulf. The humidity is going to be hard to deal with, at first, but you can handle it. There are mountains not too far to the north in GA. Flying Monkey can tell you all about those. Once a year you will get to experience one of the best fly-ins in the nation - Sun 'N' Fun. Maybe you can get a job at Fantasy of Flight, work your way up through and get to work on airplanes, someday.

MountianFlyingWV

User of Gorilla Glue
Thanks for telling me about all of the events there. I'm getting kinda excited about it now :) .
I'm still a little depressed about the whole moving thing, because i'm leaving a lot of friends behind. So i'm trying to find a way to make the situation seem a little brighter. And you guys telling me about the RC community in Florida really helps. So again thanks! :)

Also to crafty dan. I'm actually already investing in a RC seaplane. I'm leaning toward the Parkzone Icon A5, but i kinda want to do a scratch build so i'll keep looking at the polaris. Another thing, there also is a lake in the back yard at the place i'll be living. We also have a friend who has a boat on the lake, so the boat will be taken care of to. :)

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Go have fun, and make great new friends!

Just a suggestion, The A-5 Is not a great seaplane. I have flown it a few times, and the Flyzone Tidewater is far superior. Also, a Polaris is even better than even the Tidewater. Buy whatever you want, but in my opinion the A-5 is not a great plane.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Flying will suck in new friends like a magnet! You'll be fine and have new friends in no time. Plus, you might still be able to have old friends come visit, right?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thanks for telling me about all of the events there. I'm getting kinda excited about it now :) .
I'm still a little depressed about the whole moving thing, because i'm leaving a lot of friends behind. So i'm trying to find a way to make the situation seem a little brighter. And you guys telling me about the RC community in Florida really helps. So again thanks! :)

Also to crafty dan. I'm actually already investing in a RC seaplane. I'm leaning toward the Parkzone Icon A5, but i kinda want to do a scratch build so i'll keep looking at the polaris. Another thing, there also is a lake in the back yard at the place i'll be living. We also have a friend who has a boat on the lake, so the boat will be taken care of to. :)

Friends are always hard to leave, but it's something you'd be doing an a few years anyways. It's good practice making new friends, and if you can find a local club you fit in with, you'll still have friends there no mater where you roam. Most clubs that are openly friendly will be that way regardless of age, and there are some nice hobby stores in ORL, there's got to be flyers to support them. So look around -- you'll likely find some great flying buddies nearby.

I'll agree with Teach about everything but the beach. I hate the beach to this day because I've always lived close enough to drive day-trip to the world's best beaches, but too close to stay. I don't remember the hours of sand, sun and fun splashing in the ocean . . . I remember the 2 hour drive home -- burned, dehydrated with sand everywhere it shouldn't be. But while Teach will be whining (and he will whine) in a few of months about how it's too cold to fly his corsair in 6 inches of snow, you'll pull out your light jacket, step outside and enjoy flying on a beautiful day.

. . . So you have your own backyard gator . . . If it's water and bigger than a puddle, you do. Just steer clear of the weeds and aquatic wildlife, and for goodness sake -- DON'T feed them.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Isn't hot air thinner and would therefore produce less thrust? You might not notice it, but your planes are going to be slower.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
RCSF,

It's not that much hotter or thinner -- if anything the water content from humidity might make it thicker. The pressure differneces from heat are enough to make some interesting cumulitive effects (read: lightning and tornados), but that prop will push against it just fine.

Now the lipos in winter might run quite a bit better . . .