Location for GPS module in a fixed wing

sumone

I have a Volantex Ranger and I'm in the process of setting it up with Fpv with a flight controller.
This particular plane has a plastic blow moulded fuselage .
Do you think the GPS signal will penetrate the plastic ok if placed inside the fuselage ?
or should i locate it on the outside ?.
Have not been able to test it myself tonight as it's late and wanted to finish the project ready for a test flight in the morning.

Thanks.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
It should be fine on the inside, plastic and foam are generally invisible to radio waves. You do need to watch the carbon fiber infused foams and the metallic paints. Both carbon fiber and any type of metal will block Rf.

You could always take the unit outside and place one of the plastic parts on top of it to test if you can get a signal.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have a couple inav and ArduPilot rigs with the GPS just under the skin and have no problem. RMRC Nano Skyhunter, Strix Nano Goblin, Strix Stratosurfer to name a few. Some plastic and some foam. Like Merv said, just don't block the signal with carbon or metal. The other thing you want to do is keep your RF units away from the GPS. Ie RX and VTX. Those signals can interfere with GPS signals. Some of the newer GPSes I have seem to be more immune to this, but it is still good practice to keep all your antennas seperated. (GPS uses an antenna too) Also remember that RXes that have telemetry are also transmitters which send data back to the ground station (transmitter)

Cheers!
LitterBug

sumone

Tested it out and all went well .
I was trying out the ZOHD KOPILOT.
First ever time using a flight controller (really only wanted it for the RTH feature)
But i got to say the auto launch feature was pretty cool.
I think i must have auto launched and landed 20 times .Pretty cool feature.

Jozefheli

Tested it out and all went well .
I was trying out the ZOHD KOPILOT.
First ever time using a flight controller (really only wanted it for the RTH feature)
But i got to say the auto launch feature was pretty cool.
I think i must have auto launched and landed 20 times .Pretty cool feature.

Can you please send pictures of the mounting for the ranger 2000. Getting the same plane and would like to use the zohd kopilot.. Thanks

sumone

Can you please send pictures of the mounting for the ranger 2000. Getting the same plane and would like to use the zohd kopilot.. Thanks

I designed a holder for the Kopilot and my RX and 3d printed it .
It slides over the wooden shelf in my Ranger 1600.
The Kopilot and GPS Sit on top and the RX sits in the lower section.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 0

Bricks

Master member
Is that the receiver antenna sticky straight up behind the Kopilot module if it is not really a good place to have it you may have LOS when the plane is coming at you, if not disregard.