Lockheed C-130 Hercules Design

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
The plans are printed, and I am starting the build this week. I had completely re-organized my workshop. It was too cluttered, and I needed more room to build. I even installed a shop light.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I'm eager to see how these progress. I am hoping to do a C-12 Huron and a P-3 Orion so I hope to gain some insight from the similarities of these builds.

Have you determined prop sizes, prop blade numbers, motors, and wingspans for each?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If you do that P-3 make sure you do plans and a build thread. Id be down for that just as a static model. Go AIR CREW!!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
If you do that P-3 make sure you do plans and a build thread. Id be down for that just as a static model. Go AIR CREW!!
Thanks. I chose those two because of my service on the P-3 and my son on C-12's. I have some things to learn along the way though as I've never attempted a scale plane, nor multiple motors, nor landing gear, nor flaps, nor bomb bay doors. I think I might be doing these in steps and accepting there will be failures (opportunities to learn) along the way. The alternative is to overthink it which I already do too much and waste time (like my tricopter).

I do think though that there are enough similarities with the Greyhound and the Herc with my planned aircraft that I could learn a lot through Vincent's plans in the areas I need.

I will certainly keep you informed.

unrauv

I could do the plans for a P-3, 1830 mm WS? Looks a lot like a B-29 but with turbo props.
C-12 Huron looks doable but the trike landing gear are not go for grass fields.

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
That is a kind offer. I'll tell you what, I have a lot of projects on the back burner and would very much like to jump into these. I would prefer being able to dedicate more focus on this, especially if someone else was getting involved. I would hate for someone to invest time on something like this only to have it sit in limbo for who knows how long. Also, I would be interested in learning the design/drawing process. Could I get a rain check on that and then perhaps when I am ready I can do this with your help/advice?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks. I chose those two because of my service on the P-3 and my son on C-12's. I have some things to learn along the way though as I've never attempted a scale plane, nor multiple motors, nor landing gear, nor flaps, nor bomb bay doors. I think I might be doing these in steps and accepting there will be failures (opportunities to learn) along the way. The alternative is to overthink it which I already do too much and waste time (like my tricopter).

I do think though that there are enough similarities with the Greyhound and the Herc with my planned aircraft that I could learn a lot through Vincent's plans in the areas I need.

I will certainly keep you informed.

Don't forget the bouy tubes and the JAFO seats, oh yeah and the beds. Now if we could only find flight packs to last long enough to need a bed...

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Don't forget the bouy tubes and the JAFO seats, oh yeah and the beds. Now if we could only find flight packs to last long enough to need a bed...
If I'm successful with the bomb bay doors then eah sure throw in a free fall chute and simluate the others. Sounds like you've been around them. Were you in the USN?

Michael9865

Elite member
I'm eager to see how these progress. I am hoping to do a C-12 Huron and a P-3 Orion so I hope to gain some insight from the similarities of these builds.

Have you determined prop sizes, prop blade numbers, motors, and wingspans for each?

Go Navy! A P-3 is not to far from a RP-3D. Also rode around on a C-12 while in the Middle East for Desert Storm. Also C-130 was my freedom bird from the Middle East. Watching eagerly forward to when they come to life.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I've been around the RP-3's, NP-3's, and EP-3's along with other minor variants of the basic P-3. Which mine will be I'm not sure. I was thinking an Arctic Fox with ski/wheel conversion gear but I do think I prefer the flat grey paint scheme. If I went the EP rout I'd lose on the fun a bomb bay would offer. Another thing the Herc has to offer is the common engines with the P-3 (though the Herc's are upside down and has different blades).

Michael9865

Elite member
I've been around the RP-3's, NP-3's, and EP-3's along with other minor variants of the basic P-3. Which mine will be I'm not sure. I was thinking an Arctic Fox with ski/wheel conversion gear but I do think I prefer the flat grey paint scheme. If I went the EP rout I'd lose on the fun a bomb bay would offer. Another thing the Herc has to offer is the common engines with the P-3 (though the Herc's are upside down and has different blades).

I enjoyed my time at VXN-8. I heard more than a few mechs argue about whose engines where upside down and which one had the correct props. LOL

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
When were you at VX-N-8? I (an AT) was with NRL after they unified. Perhaps we worked on the same aircraft and know some of the same people.

By the way, Pax has grown much over the years when I was there ('96-'99).

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yes Jim I r squiddly. I did boot in Jan 83, hit Pensacola right after the on to NAS Jacksonville. Was training sensor three but stumbled on my cross training with the whale farts and ended up getting in some trouble with a clueless officer while I was on hold. Got listed as DOR but I never quit that's what they labeled it as. Finished up on Nimitz in an Ordinance department. Was a fun and well storied career.

EDIT. Gah forgot Millington Tenn for "A" school between Air Crew and Jacksonville.

Last edited: