FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I'm also thinking about putting a downward facing fpv spy cam in the belly for spectators to use. Just depends on space and weight.

I could put it in one of the superpods on the wing...
if you you used a Vario, you could easily have a camera switcher and a spy cam as mode2. The vario and FC would help you fly level. (while you were surveiling) I am on page 2 and thid is Such and amazing job so far?. did you make formers then skin them? I haven't seen any good pictures showing how you arrived at the form other than cut the Circ. and roll the fuse shape.

as with others here, we can't wait for this to be in the air.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Man it's been a while since I've been on here, I've been working on some other hobbies for the time being. Just checking in.

if you you used a Vario, you could easily have a camera switcher and a spy cam as mode2. The vario and FC would help you fly level. (while you were surveiling) I am on page 2 and thid is Such and amazing job so far?. did you make formers then skin them? I haven't seen any good pictures showing how you arrived at the form other than cut the Circ. and roll the fuse shape.

as with others here, we can't wait for this to be in the air.

There are very few formers throughout, there's not a lot of room inside for any but the working components provide plenty of structure. The fuselage is supported mostly by the wing itself and the tail will be filled almost entirely by the thrust tube and fan.

Can't say I know when this will fly, I've really kinda stepped back from the hobby for a good while.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Are you still working on this? Am am really interested.
I've been taking a break from the hobby for a few months, I was dealing with a lot of personal issues at the time. I'm just now getting back into it but I'm mostly focusing on slope soaring for the time being. I am keeping this project around and I do plan on finishing it, I just can't say when. It would be a shame to scrap it when I'm this close to having it done for sure. Gotta relearn how to fly though too.

Flite Risk

tr
Props and ESC arrived while I was gone so I got the BDF set up. I had to run the wires through the duct to make it fit, it's very tight. If I make plans I'd suggest using a 64mm at most.

View attachment 167180

I'm not too sure about this ESC, it starts up at about 1/4 throttle and seems to pulse a bit at full throttle. It's designed for quads so I probably just have to mess around with the programming.
try fiddling with the timing in the programming of the esc.

The whole beep beep throttle up
beep beep beep throttle down dance.

Merovech

Hi! I just came across this as I was looking to build a U-2. I already have a Phase 3 U-2 (C?) that i picked up earlier this year. I'm the third owner and it did not have the stock EDF unit in it and it was weak (600g of thrust for a 900g plane). I replaced it with a PowerFun that has 1180g of thrust. Worked great - until the front landing gear (I made/attached) fell off on take off.

I see the pictures and the progress you've made. This looks good!

Merovech

Wow man you stress as much as I do. It's looking fantastic, and at that size and proportioned a lot like a sailplane, it should be fine.
I stressed so much over my RB-57D. It was a lot of unknowns all put together in one plane. In the end the only real problem was it has more power than I'm ready for!
With the elevator that close to the wing, one big mistake I made was my elevator throws were much too great. Reducing ALL throws made it much more manageable.

You made an RV57D!?!?

Where are the plans?

leaded50

Legendary member
you know... the U2 was based on the Lockheed 104 Starfighter, but with substantially increased wingspan .
It was initually named Model CL-282 ,codename "Aquatone.
When adopted by USAF it got the "U2" designation, where "U" stood for "utility," which was deliberately misleading about the airplane's true top-secret intelligence role :)

Merovech

I don't believe there are any plans. Just build one! Go here:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/mini-rb-57d.65170/

Make yours bigger than mine, it'll be easier to build and to fly.

I could give you what I drew and used to build, but they aren't "build plans". All the instructions are in my head. :p

AFTER I finish repairing my U-2, I might just make an RB-57D. I picked up some diagrams already and also found the engine size -then scaled it to 80mm and the wingspan is like 84.5" Turns out the scale is like .8080xxxxx

Two 80mm EDFs should generate enough thrust to make flying it fun, and the wingspan should make it a decent powered glider.

AFTER I finish repairing my U-2, I might just make an RB-57D. I picked up some diagrams already and also found the engine size -then scaled it to 80mm and the wingspan is like 84.5" Turns out the scale is like .8080xxxxx

Two 80mm EDFs should generate enough thrust to make flying it fun, and the wingspan should make it a decent powered glider.
Yeah -
I should have said: Mine has little to do with scale. I just think it's a darn good looking plane and wanted to build a twin. It sure won't win any scale competitions! It was "built around the lines of" an RB-57D. I started with the scale plans and mushed it around to suit me. But it was a fun project and I learned a lot. Can't wait to see yours!