Long-EZ build

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I've been promising myself that I will build a Long-EZ model for so long....and then comes along this super design.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/long-ez-ft-style.39433/

Printed out tiled and have just stuck it together.
It's long!!!! 😁😁
Next stage is to arrange on the foamboard, stick down and get cutting.
IMG_20180810_194438900_HDR.jpg IMG_20180810_194446061.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Ok, basic cutting out done, I'm tired so the half cuts, bevels etc can wait till tomorrow!
IMG_20180813_212426410.jpg
Not looking forward to the paper removal bits, this foam board I can get in the UK hates to give up its paper :)

jpot1

Elite member
Glad to hear that. I love building, love flying, but its even better when someone else builds your design. At least when they fly it successfully! One thing to make sure of is that the elevons need 4-5mm of reflex for level flight.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Glad to hear that. I love building, love flying, but its even better when someone else builds your design. At least when they fly it successfully! One thing to make sure of is that the elevons need 4-5mm of reflex for level flight.
I was expecting to need a spot of reflex. Have you tried an undercarriage on this design?

jpot1

Elite member
I was expecting to need a spot of reflex. Have you tried an undercarriage on this design?

I had plans to come back to this to add gear and possibly go with a symmetrical wing but got caught up with all of the other cool designs this community has been generating.

It looks like you closed the nose but you could probably still fit a piece of plywood in for nose gear to be reinforced. On the wing my thought was to use the spar as the attachment point.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I had plans to come back to this to add gear and possibly go with a symmetrical wing but got caught up with all of the other cool designs this community has been generating.

It looks like you closed the nose but you could probably still fit a piece of plywood in for nose gear to be reinforced. On the wing my thought was to use the spar as the attachment point.
Yes, the nose is closed, figured I would get it flying and feel out the performance and handling first. To me the rear wheels just have to go on that semicircle frame from the body. I will look for a suitable one I can buy rather than bend my own aluminium :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
A canard does not normally require significant angles of up elevon, (reflex), or downwards deflection unless the CG is slightly off or the canard is too lightly or too heavily loaded.

Normal canard configuration balances the weight in the same ratio as the lift between the wing and the foreplane. Too much reflex(?) can reduce the maximum flying speed as well as seriously increase the landing speed. In bad cases it can also introduce yaw due to elevon drag issues.

With the elevons set for minimum drag it is wise to configure or setup the elevons, (Ailerons), with a degree of Differential to have zero yaw component when roll is initiated, if the correct balance point is used.

Just a few thoughts on Canards!

Have fun!

jpot1

Elite member
Thanks @Hai-Lee - I kept the canard scale in size but did add a few degrees like the FT viggen. It probably needs to be made larger but with the reflex it just flew really well so I left it.