Long-EZ build

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Designed the motor mount in tinkercad, will print it tomorrow!
motormount.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
So jealous of those with a printer! Ready for maiden?
No, not yet but hopefully soon! Working on a way to have a retracting front wheel using a small servo and keeping the weight down at the same time.
Also....weather is a pain, the wind has been so high all week! I have a new quadcopter to maiden too!!!!! :)
My 3D printer is an Anet A8 which cost just over £100 - been so useful for many things.

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
3rd attempt at the motor firewall succeeded. I made a couple of silly measurement mistakes.
I don't like barbecue skewers so have devised a hinging hatch with a magnet to secure.
It's half midnight here so I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Motor attached to the printed motor mount, the two ridges lock onto the rear supports.
IMG_20180818_092700642.jpg IMG_20180818_092709600.jpg
What I've done to the top deck, a bit messy as I was feeling my way as I went along.
IMG_20180818_092821565.jpg IMG_20180818_092841044.jpg IMG_20180818_092851608.jpg IMG_20180818_092912711.jpg

quorneng

Master member
I made a couple of silly measurement mistakes.
Don't worry it is very rare that I make an 'own design' 3D part right first time, or even second time come to that, but making any adjustments is relatively easy. ;)

I have just counted up all the 3D printed parts I have used on my latest Depron scale plane. 110 different shaped pieces (yes really!) and some are used more than once. o_O

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Don't worry it is very rare that I make an 'own design' 3D part right first time, or even second time come to that, but making any adjustments is relatively easy. ;)

I have just counted up all the 3D printed parts I have used on my latest Depron scale plane. 110 different shaped pieces (yes really!) and some are used more than once. o_O
3D printing is so useful!!! Cutting plywood is not a strong point of mine!! Lol

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Sadly the forces inflicted by a rough landing could easily rip the gear box off of the top of the servo as it is normally only held on by 4 tiny screws, (one in each corner of the servo case).

To remove all forces from the operating servo you could use a 2 piece diagonal brace which braces the leg in the down position and transfers all landing shock forces through the brace to the top of the fuselage mount. To retract you connect the servo to the centre of the 2 piece diagonal brace and pull it to the rear. As the diagonal brace folds the leg retracts rearwards.

With the inclusion of a PULL PULL connection to the rudder servo it is possible to have the nosewheel steerable as well as retracting.

A really good project for a 3D printer.

Have fun!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Great looking build. Make sure you start with about 5mm of reflex and good luck with the maiden!
Yep!!! I've set the mid point with about 5mm reflex as you advised.
I'm rather pleased with it myself!!
CofG is right with a 2200mAh 3S