Long-EZ build

Seahunter

Following with great interest, now you have me wanting to model the EZ, I haven't flown a canard before. Good Luck!:)

jpot1

Elite member
@CarolineTyler - I know your build is heavier than mine but based on what I saw you should have had enough for take off unless your rates were too low.

First pic is the amount of reflex I have on mine.
666082EC-8434-4317-8DD3-83D87E0D6DC3.jpeg

Next pic are the throws for comfortable flying.

0F685BED-9C08-431C-9BD6-5BEC412F8304.jpeg

Hope that helps and you get this flying!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well, it was a very safe 'flight' LOL
I need to get the main wheels a bit more forward, not enough to rotate!

Unfortunately CANARDS do not rotate in the normal sense! Normally the nose wheel is of such a length that it holds the plane in a slightly nose up attitude on the ground. (A safe parking method is to actually retract the nose wheel and that way the wind will effect it less whilst parked).

With the nose held up by the landing gear then as the speed builds the canard or foreplane increases in lift until it is able to lift the nose wheel which cranks up the main wing incidence and you are away/ Normally you will not even need elevator input as it should take off all by itself.

A canard must maintain a balance between the lift of the canard with the lift of the main wing at the CG for proper flight. This is why with variable foreplanes on a canard they can support such a wide range of CG, (relative to a conventional design that is).

If the nose is elevated and the plane still will not lift off then the canard is not able to generate sufficient lift at take off speed and so either the canard angle needs to be increased, its area increased, or its loading reduced. Note:- reducing its loading can make the handling in pitch some what touchy or sluggish.

Just what I have experienced and learned!

have fun!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
@CarolineTyler - I know your build is heavier than mine but based on what I saw you should have had enough for take off unless your rates were too low.

First pic is the amount of reflex I have on mine.
View attachment 113591

Next pic are the throws for comfortable flying.

View attachment 113592

Hope that helps and you get this flying!
I had programmed low/medium/high rates the first attempt was on low, the second on high and yes, I have about the same reflex set up.
This bird wants to fly!
:)

quorneng

Master member
Hmmm!
That was going pretty fast!
Unless the wing is at a negative angle on its undercarriage I would have expected the ground effect to have created enough extra lift to get it off its wheels.
What you really need is an elevator on the canard working in opposition to the elevons, then if it has the power to leave the ground it will.

You can take off without 'rotating'. ;)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hmmm!
That was going pretty fast!
Unless the wing is at a negative angle on its undercarriage I would have expected the ground effect to have created enough extra lift to get it off its wheels.
What you really need is an elevator on the canard working in opposition to the elevons, then if it has the power to leave the ground it will.

You can take off without 'rotating'. ;)
Indeed, the pitch of the plane on the undercarriage and balance point will be my priority, expect it will be ready for either another "fast taxi" or take off for Friday evening/Saturday. :)

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The Long-EZ flew, and flew really well until a faulty/glitchy servo brought her down into the river. After one of the guys donned waders and went in there wasn't a flyable plane left. :(
I have got the main undercarriage, ESC, receiver and motor out of it and as the river is fresh water the electronics should still work once completely dried out.
I've learned a lot from this model, a second one will be built and it will be even better.
Whist she was flying, she flew beautifully, on rails!!

jpot1

Elite member
The Long-EZ flew, and flew really well until a faulty/glitchy servo brought her down into the river. After one of the guys donned waders and went in there wasn't a flyable plane left. :(
I have got the main undercarriage, ESC, receiver and motor out of it and as the river is fresh water the electronics should still work once completely dried out.
I've learned a lot from this model, a second one will be built and it will be even better.
Whist she was flying, she flew beautifully, on rails!!

Glad it flew well for you...at least for a little bit! :)