Long EZ - FT Style

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
So I've got a friend who recently bought a Velocity-XL which is kind of related to the Long-EZ....he's been teaching me a lot about composite construction so I figured I better give this one a go.

Unfortunately I had a small hiccup with my CNC cutting it out so this first one was just a quick and dirty practice build.

20180511_223135.jpg

Definitely going to have to build another to actually fly!

One question though - where's the CG supposed to be? I don't see it marked anywhere.

As for feedback....

It would be nice to add some tabs on the ends of the wings that fit into the winglets to help locate them and give them a bit more strength.

The top of the nose was the trickiest bit...partly because of the mistake my machine made (the mistake caused one side of the fuselage B slot to be too wide and the other to be too narrow) but also figuring out where the back should go to allow room for the hatch vs. where the front should fit.

Speaking of the hatch, what's supposed to hold it in place in the front? Just friction? Might be nice to redesign it slightly so it has a tab that fits under the nose part to latch it in.

Overall great design! I can't wait to cut it again and take my time building it so it will actually fly next time :D If I can figure out the CG I may toss some clay in this one and give it to my daughter to chuck around the yard....

jpot1

Elite member
jhitesma - honored you are building this as I have followed your threads over the years. I was having trouble with the CG but based on input recently from FlyingCurry and J. Stevens on FB I believe the CG is going to be at the point where the leading edge of the main wing meets. Unfortunately for your build thats buried in the fuze now. Based on the plans in Inkscape that would equate to ~145mm back from the trailing edge of the canard.

I am currently scaling this up and have put in tabs for the wing tips (great minds think alike)! As for the hatch, the poster board on top rests on the top of the fuze sides and then the hatch and fuse have black dots which are the location for a BBQ skewer to go through. I also put a piece of popsicle stick in the front to keep it held in place. See pics below.

I need to work on the nose as well. May try something like what was done on the mini vector. Keep me posted on how things work out. I should have pics of the larger one up on this thread later today/tomorrow.

hatch.jpeg
hatch1.jpeg

jpot1

Elite member
Finished most of the build and before adding the motor did some glide tests to confirm CG. Was further back than the online calculator but ahead of what I was using on the failed mini version.

Dry fit motor and esc and even with extensions my 1300 3s is not going to be enough nose weight. Definitely will need a 2200 and hope it will be enough after adding servos.

Next up servos and beveling the leading edge.

3E59CCFC-A388-4CCD-A2C6-E2ABE86CBC21.jpeg
0DB95AF9-EB2D-4F00-B89B-6FB17F198A67.jpeg
7FD72636-DC83-4C7A-955A-09B4A10F258B.jpeg

jamboree1

Yes, she has a short nose. try putting the 1300 in and add weight until it balances, maybe get by with an 1800, if you have one...does anyone?? except me perhaps

jpot1

Elite member
Yes, she has a short nose. try putting the 1300 in and add weight until it balances, maybe get by with an 1800, if you have one...does anyone?? except me perhaps

Feel free to send me an 1800. ;)

That’s all I have plus smaller. No flying today due to rain so maiden will have to wait until next weekend.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Any time it's a one sheeter, I can't seem to help but build it. (like I need the distraction) Anyway, I have this, mostly built, the servos are waterproofed, and the goal is to WP the rest. Although I was going to Minwax craft paper it, now, I think I will spray it. If I can get my ESCs to work right, I will be in business. I will get some more pictures tonight.
LongEZ Wing.JPG

jpot1

Elite member
Great! A word of warning though, several of us have built this little one but only one successful flight. I have rebuilt larger but have been unable to maiden.

Looks like you are adding dihedral?

FoamyDM

I think dihedral is always a good option, Nature is much better than me at determining the equality point. Here are some updates:
0LongEZ.JPG
01LongEZ.JPG
1LongEZ.JPG
2LongEZ.JPG
3LongEZ.JPG

3 things left:
  • Put in the linkage
  • Figure out why my ESCS are funny. BLheli 12As are giving twitchy motor. (Soldering is my guess. ugg. I've got to many and I have a lot of Planes to put into rotation. (AP sea Duck is one))
  • Colorize it.
Thank you for the CG warning. I though there was a successful maiden.
I was about to ask about CG being like where a flying wing i would be at, then I forgot... cannard so elsewhere.
I see 1.25" behind wing joint with fuselage - ish. :D (makes me wish I hadn't cut the grass)

jpot1

Elite member
Looks great. @AirplaneJames did have a great maiden and used the 1.25" CG. I found that tail heavy and crashed. So definitely on the "ish" side.
Hoping to maiden my larger one at some point this weekend.
IMG_1098.JPG

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Looking good @FoamyDM !

@jpot1 - Don't want to hijack the thread, but hope you consider imatation as flattery. Have a friend at the field who saw the FT video also and inquired as to whether I would build one. Told him about this thread and when you get it sorted that I would put one together. Later he inquired about FT twins as he has two FT 1806 motors looking for a home. We discussed building a SuperBee (he already has a mini guinea). Then I thought I would leverage what you are doing here and try to kill two birds with the one stone (the Long EZ and Two Motors) which led me to the Velocity V-Twin. I am pretty much done with the modeling which I based on your approach to the Long EZ. Looking forward to learning more from your experience with this to apply to the V-twin build (if I ever get to it).

Sketchup Capture.jpg

DamoRC

FoamyDM

Looking good @FoamyDM !

@jpot1 - Don't want to hijack the thread, but hope you consider imatation as flattery. Have a friend at the field who saw the FT video also and inquired as to whether I would build one. Told him about this thread and when you get it sorted that I would put one together. Later he inquired about FT twins as he has two FT 1806 motors looking for a home. We discussed building a SuperBee (he already has a mini guinea). Then I thought I would leverage what you are doing here and try to kill two birds with the one stone (the Long EZ and Two Motors) which led me to the Velocity V-Twin. I am pretty much done with the modeling which I based on your approach to the Long EZ. Looking forward to learning more from your experience with this to apply to the V-twin build (if I ever get to it).

View attachment 107834

DamoRC
FUN! - if this is set with Diff Thrust, do you need the rudder?

I picked of the C17 Banggood Models for my kids. I won't rave and rant here, but worth the $. something I noticed is when you change the motor speeds for Yaw control (set as aileron controls.) the plane also banks, ending up with a coordinated turn. Do you think that would happen here? or does the differential have to be minimal?

I'm dying to try this on a scratch-built plane. My AP Mini Sea Duck needs a re-flight to check this out. :)

jpot1

Elite member
CG ended up 127mm back from the LE of the canard. In the pic the line that the BBQ skewer is pointing at. I started way more forward (other pencil lines) which is why the nose is a bit mushed. Major benefit of the CG location is that this will now easily accommodate a 1300 3s.

D5768B97-A082-466B-A9C3-4F31CBA92EA6.jpeg