Long EZ - FT Style

jpot1

Elite member
@Michael763, oops forgot to post my update here as I had posted on FB page. Maiden went well, flew very similar to the larger size with maybe a little more twitchy behavior due to the smaller wings.

Swamped with work and family stuff but am making final updates to plans and hope to have them out soon.

jpot1

Elite member
Plans for the smaller version are not uploaded to the first post. Please note if you use the power pod there is a bit of fiddling to get everything in and I did use some foamboard shims that are not in the plans to prevent side to side movement.

Make sure for both the large one and mini that you use about 5mm of reflex for the elevons to achieve level flight.

Happy building!

jpot1

Elite member
Re-working the plans a bit to shrink the fuse width and address a working canard. I plan to tie both sides of the canard together and mount the servo in the fuse via a torque rod style setup. I want to be able to build the canard and insert the rods first so I've chopped the nose off to allow the canard to slide in and then made the nose separate to slide on. Similar concept to the FT mini vector. This should allow replacing crumpled noses much easier as well!

Going to try some zip tie landing gear also.

2018-10-05_13-01-45.png

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Re-working the plans a bit to shrink the fuse width and address a working canard. I plan to tie both sides of the canard together and mount the servo in the fuse via a torque rod style setup. I want to be able to build the canard and insert the rods first so I've chopped the nose off to allow the canard to slide in and then made the nose separate to slide on. Similar concept to the FT mini vector. This should allow replacing crumpled noses much easier as well!

Going to try some zip tie landing gear also.

View attachment 116047
Are you going for an elevator on the canard or a full flying one?

jpot1

Elite member
Finally back to my next iteration. Narrowed the fuse, added doublers to the nose and am trying out a moving canard for elevator control. Also going to try some zip tie landing gear.

49A2F7FF-387F-4768-A0E9-2C90E865B3FE.jpeg

C5AD6692-35E7-44A2-9277-C9D628E23674.jpeg

C952C63D-ABE2-45A8-8602-86EADA60CA3A.jpeg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Was thinking as I was building today - I wonder if Caroline ever flew hers. Looks like my new setup uses up the space for your nose gear- oops!
I quite like the 'tubby' body but that elevator on the canard is tempting!!
It will fly, probably next year now...the dark nights have set in :(
This weekend has winds of 25mph today and 20 tomorrow with rain. I am hoping to get the quads out next weekend, weather permitting.
Envious of those places in the world who don't have such variation in their seasons.

jpot1

Elite member
Almost done with the next version. Need to hook up servos and add some color. I’m liking the narrower fuse. Build is getting simpler as the nose doublers make that area simpler.

This version will have a working canard. Interested to see the flight characteristics.

808839F6-2177-41A3-B7A8-5100C723BB25.jpeg

New vs. prior

2F5512A2-0279-491F-A61A-85093C91DC22.jpeg

Keno

Love your work and creation. One thing you might investigate is your reflex vs your CG point. I believe you will find a sweet balance between these two issues. Your canard adds an interesting aspect, thus the "CG" moves back and it becomes a "Plane" rather than a "Flying Dart" (missile). Your design is noted for smooth flying and its forgiving stalls effects . Hey, forgive me as this is only my observation so I maybe out of order as I work on more on the "flying Dart" design.