Long EZ - FT Style

jpot1

Elite member
Inspired by the recent FT video I decided to try to make some plans for a long EZ scaled to about a 30” wingspan. Initial results were promising and a forum member successfully maidened but it was too twitch and CG sensitive for me. The result was a scaled up version with specs below. So the first several posts you may see are addressing the original mini version (sorry if its confusing).

Specs:
Wingspan ~37"
2 x 9g servo
2200kv 50g motor w/ 6x4 prop
3s 1300 mah battery
Plans: attached below

Flight video:

Beauty shot:
270BC247-4979-4662-B413-15944E3BAE5E.JPG

Mini version:
Wingspan ~30"
2 x 5g servo
F pack equivalent motor
3s 850 mah battery

Plans: below - ez-mini-v1.pdf

Attachments

• 0B4185E0-D29E-4202-B33B-DAF2EADF8A0A.png
    0B4185E0-D29E-4202-B33B-DAF2EADF8A0A.png
    626.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Long_EZ_Build.pdf
    607.1 KB · Views: 0
  • ez-larger_v2.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • ez-mini-v1.pdf
    43 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
So far so good. Relatively simple FT style B fold fuse. Fold over wing taped and glued at the center. Thinking of an FT22 type canopy. Using an F pack motor on a mini power pod which balances with an 850 mah 3s. CG is estimated at 1.25” back from the where the wing meets the fuse.

5496324B-F914-4D26-B224-664521718517.jpeg

CA736D0E-A2BF-4AD4-9BF8-D7572432A97D.jpeg

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Subscribed.

Can't wait to see how it flies... I've guessing well, with means I'll have another plane to add to my build list.

jpot1

Elite member
A little more progress. Added some nose weight and did a few glide tests. Flew well, but bashed the canard which I may strengthen with a bbq skewer.

A5D7AC7B-B304-4F71-8BA3-6CEA19D8104B.jpeg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wow Jpot another build! You are a machine!!!

Let me have part of that drive and enthusiasm mate. Maybe a touch of the skills as well.

jpot1

Elite member
Thanks Psyborg! Winter is in full swing in NJ so I have plenty of time to build. Too cold or windy on the weekends and the current storm may dump a foot on me so no flying anytime soon. :(

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
i agree with Psyborg!! This thing looks AWESOME! ha Keep up the awesome work!

Blessings,
Stefan

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks Psyborg! Winter is in full swing in NJ so I have plenty of time to build. Too cold or windy on the weekends and the current storm may dump a foot on me so no flying anytime soon. :(

Ha! Jersey shore storms are flurries to me since I moved to NY. I am just east of Buffalo now and the beast they call Lake effect snow is a mean one. They like sending us a normal snow storm of 4 -6 inches with the possibility of lake effect or lake enhanced snows up to 3 feet added to normal snows EVERY storm.

Worst storm I lived thru in Jersey was back in 75 -76 when I was out hunting on thanksgiving day and a squall hit. over three feet dumped down in under 2 and a half hours. I crawled under pine tree and took a nap. I actually got in trouble for being late to dinner.. no one cared if I was lost forever in a white out in the middle of the woods hehe.

In any case aint neither one of us flying yet for a few more days or so.

jpot1

Elite member
More progress tonight. New canard with embedded bbq skewer, hatch in place and rear cover mounted. One servo/linkage in and one left. Found this online to refine my CG calc. https://rcplanes.online/cg2_canard.htm

63F71396-DD1A-4575-B427-FB55DEA2D2AB.jpeg

Lots of space inside. A 3s 800mah sits centered for balance.
E9F3FC8D-E968-40C8-8D62-3E23D493B80D.jpeg

Bbq skewer embedded in the canard for support.
B1FE5932-61E8-4E82-B67E-F791D8DC7749.jpeg

jpot1

Elite member
Finished the build tonight. Updated post #1 with specs. Working to polish plans. May release prior to maiden due to weather here.

jpot1

Elite member
Plans posted in first thread.

Build Instructions:

Fuse
A pretty normal FT style fuse build. Remove the foam to enable a b fold. Score the front on the blue line to enable forming the nose. Remove paper from the nose and rear bottom to enable forming to the curves in the fuse. The four rectangles at the rear are for the power pod holder, remove the foam but leave the other layer of paper.

Power Pod Holder
Cut all four pieces. The pod mount top/bottom will help form the fuse shape at the rear. Test fit your power pod.\

Nose Top
Remove the paper and fit to the nose. Some foam will need to be removed at the tip where the nose meets. Glue and trim excess paper.

Canard
Recommending a BBQ skewer centered in the canard for added strength. Cut a channel, add glue and BBQ skewer. Slide carefully through the fuse and glue in place.

Hatch
"A" fold on the main hatch piece. Use the indicated marks for skewer holes. Blue lines are for reference to help center the poster. Excess poster board will exist, trim after gluing.

jpot1

Elite member
Instructions cont'd....

Wing
Cut out 1 wing and then mirror for the other side. Cut out two spars, score in the middle for a typical FT style vertical foam spar. Glue centered along blue line on bottom of the wing. Remove paper from the double bevel to the blue line. I do not use score cuts to form the wing but by removing the paper am able to get a more curved wing shape. Cut elevon and bevel.

Remove foam for servo placement, leaving outer layer of foam.

Join using tape on the bottom of the wing and then adding hot glue. Another piece of tape on top to secure as typical with FT wing builds.

Carefully slide the wing through the fuse, centering the wing. Apply glue where the wing meets the fuse. Add the wingtips using the blue line to center with the top of the wing.

Rear Fuse
After all wiring is run, add top fuse rear panel. Remove paper to help follow the fuse curve. Some trimming may be needed based on variations in hatch.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Sweet! Like the updated pics at the top of the thread. Nice clean lines.

Under normal circumstances I’d have this built and maidened by next weekend but I have bitten off more than I can chew right now with the c-130 and Canuck. So I’ll put it on the list.

DamoRC

jpot1

Elite member
Sweet! Like the updated pics at the top of the thread. Nice clean lines.

Under normal circumstances I’d have this built and maidened by next weekend but I have bitten off more than I can chew right now with the c-130 and Canuck. So I’ll put it on the list.

DamoRC

Thanks DamoRC, very jealous of you folks living in warmer areas. I’ve got 6” of snow and another storm coming Monday night. Loving your Canuck plans - like the faceted design similar to the Reichenberg.

T-Richard

looks Great!

I'll build the micro version whenever it comes out, mostly because I already have the micro motor and electronics. This is much more detailed. Great job

AirplaneJames

X-EZ

Jpot - Nice work sir. Just finished your build plans...I may increase the surface area of the elevons depending on the flight characteristics, but other than that this thing looks awesome.

E1B9676D-BEA9-4EF6-85DA-706F4D881825.jpeg

jpot1

Elite member
Jpot - Nice work sir. Just finished your build plans...I may increase the surface area of the elevons depending on the flight characteristics, but other than that this thing looks awesome.

View attachment 104305

Wow that looks fantastic! Please post how the maiden goes. Video would be great. I’m still waiting on weather, we got almost a foot of snow on Wed so it will be a while...