Long EZ issues

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
So I'm still relatively new to flying, but I can get a plane in the air and keep it there. I just recently bought the LongEZ speed build. I don't know what happened but I'm pretty sure it had to do with thrust angle. My CG was perfect, I know this because I threw it around with all electronics in and it glided beautifully! But when I did thrust tests, the nose wanted to pitch down. (I tried to add a video showing this, but I don't know if it uploaded) I tried moving the power pod, but it still pitched down. It eventually worked after a few crashes (and cosmetic damage) but I don't know what the heck I did to fix it. All I'd done was something unrelated to the power pod (if it matters, my Dad convinced me to try again, and powered my TX back up) so I have several questions.
1) What did I do, and can I do it again? 2) have any of you had similar problems and have solutions/advice?

I'll add some specs if they matter. TX- FlyskyFSi6, power pod: power pack A, Battery: Tattu 850mah 11.1v 2s Li-Po. Expo: 30%(recommended)
It would be extremely helpful if any of you have advice or solutions. As of now, I think I'll put the electronics back in my tiny trainer. That is way more relaxing. Thanks!

GMalatrasi

I've been playing around with My LongEZ for a while now... Never had a good experience.
I really don't think it's a great flying plane, at least for my skill level. So I just gave up on it, I'll be removing the electronics from it soon.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So I'm still relatively new to flying, but I can get a plane in the air and keep it there. I just recently bought the LongEZ speed build. I don't know what happened but I'm pretty sure it had to do with thrust angle. My CG was perfect, I know this because I threw it around with all electronics in and it glided beautifully! But when I did thrust tests, the nose wanted to pitch down. (I tried to add a video showing this, but I don't know if it uploaded) I tried moving the power pod, but it still pitched down. It eventually worked after a few crashes (and cosmetic damage) but I don't know what the heck I did to fix it. All I'd done was something unrelated to the power pod (if it matters, my Dad convinced me to try again, and powered my TX back up) so I have several questions.
1) What did I do, and can I do it again? 2) have any of you had similar problems and have solutions/advice?

I'll add some specs if they matter. TX- FlyskyFSi6, power pod: power pack A, Battery: Tattu 850mah 11.1v 2s Li-Po. Expo: 30%(recommended)
It would be extremely helpful if any of you have advice or solutions. As of now, I think I'll put the electronics back in my tiny trainer. That is way more relaxing. Thanks!
The three things to be careful of when building the LongEZ are;

Weight - If it is built heavy it will fly horribly and with difficulty.
CG - Again it may fly extremely poorly or not at all.
Motor Thrust Angle; You need to have the thrust line through the planes centre of mass so that the motor does not cause the nose to rise or fall on the application of throttle.

Otherwise it is a nice bird to fly though a bit quick for some!

Have fun!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
So, I was able to get a frame of my video of my thrust tests. I was under about 60% throttle at this point, since I was in shadow I enhanced the color contrast so it's easier to see. I also added a line to show centerline of thrust. It's clearly pointing down. I also grabbed it from the CG at the top if that matters. Same result. Hai-Lee posted to this thread, stating that the thrust angle needs to be through the center of mass. I was sure that the Thrust angle was through that, but is there an easier way to tell? I just eyeballed it, and held it on the back. Anyway, I hope the photo shows kinda what I was talking about

Attachments

• IMG_3334.jpg
    IMG_3334.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 0