Long EZ - FT Style

mdegalli

Finally got off the ground from landing gear!! Nose retract too! This is my 4th build ... added rear hatch to access receiver and swap esc wires if necessary. Raised landing gear and raised motor mount point to give more prop clearance for gravel runway.

Second flight had a problem with AS3X oscillation and the wings disintegrated :-( Goes nice and fast with a 4S battery.

Will be flying 5th build next weekend!

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Thanks Psyborg! Winter is in full swing in NJ so I have plenty of time to build. Too cold or windy on the weekends and the current storm may dump a foot on me so no flying anytime soon. :(
oh wow. I am in nj too. you are the only other member I know of that is in nj

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
jpot, thanks for publishing your plans. Just found this thread last week and am almost done with the build. I've got the wing and canard tacked in place so I can double check measurements and alignment later. The only change I've made is ironing more of an airfoil in the canard. I thought that having a tape gun mounted in it would be a good idea for repairs but it ruined the looks so I took it out.
IMG_3078.JPG IMG_3079.JPG IMG_3080.JPG

jpot1

Elite member
jpot, thanks for publishing your plans. Just found this thread last week and am almost done with the build. I've got the wing and canard tacked in place so I can double check measurements and alignment later. The only change I've made is ironing more of an airfoil in the canard. I thought that having a tape gun mounted in it would be a good idea for repairs but it ruined the looks so I took it out.
View attachment 201193 View attachment 201194 View attachment 201195

Lol - tape gun might have added a bit too much nose weight. Build looks great!

jpot1

Elite member
On the smaller one I like a 2200kv motor with a 6x4 prop. On the larger one I’ve been using a C pack with a 9x6.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Great, I've got those! Build has been on hold while I rebuilt my small FT longez - smashed it showing off for my daughter :-(

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I've got it finished but worried about CG and weight. I've got a Tattu 1800 3 cell and 2 1/4 oz. of weight in the nose and balancing right where the main wing goes into the fuselage and an all up weight of 522g. I may have to lengthen the nose.

jpot1

Elite member
I've got it finished but worried about CG and weight. I've got a Tattu 1800 3 cell and 2 1/4 oz. of weight in the nose and balancing right where the main wing goes into the fuselage and an all up weight of 522g. I may have to lengthen the nose.
Is this the bigger one? If so I use a 3s 2200 almost all the way forward.

jpot1

Elite member
@jridge16 here you go. Let me know if you have any questions. If you build it please post a picture/video.

Attachments

• ez-larger_45.pdf
    41.5 KB · Views: 0

jridge16

Thank you jpot1!

This is designed for Dollar Tree foamboard?
45" span?
What components did you install on yours (motor, ESC, battery)?
I will definitely post photos when I build this.

Jeff

jpot1

Elite member
Thank you jpot1!

This is designed for Dollar Tree foamboard?
45" span?
What components did you install on yours (motor, ESC, battery)?
I will definitely post photos when I build this.

Jeff

Yes DTFB and about a 45” span. I used a C pack motor, 9x6 prop and 30a esc. 3s 2200 pretty far forward and you could easily go 4 cell with a smaller prop.

jridge16

jpot-
Looking at the 2202/04 v3.0 plans for your largest Long EZ. Had some questions:
(1) are the two long skinny rectangular pieces just to the left of the wing the wing spars?
(2) what's the piece under the fuselage? Bulkhead for mounting the engine?
(3) what's the rectangular piece just to the right of the fuselage
(4) and what's the trapezodal piece next to the piece in (3)?
(5) can you give me some dimension on the drawing so I know how to scale the printout of the plans? Maybe the size of part (3)?

Thanks,
Jeff

jpot1

Elite member
Hi Jeff,
1. This is actually a c fold. Remove the piece in the middle and fold over like in some of the trailing edges of other ft planes.
2. yes it folds I half and the tabs go into the slots at the back of the fuse for mounting a shorter power pod.
3. This is the canard
4. Oops ignore that
5. Part 3 is a little over 20”. I can get it to a mm measurement if you need - let me know.

jpot1

Elite member
I built this 3 times. CG was the same as if it was a wing. No canard effect at all. Disappointed.
The canard is really just for looks in this model as it’s too small to have any real impact. This is still one of my favorite planes to fly.