Long-Wing Sparrow

Long-Wing Sparrow 1.1

Please log in to download

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Ryan O. submitted a new resource:

Long-Wing Sparrow - Of all the things that damaged it, it was a streamer flight

It started as a design for B.S. Projects FF '19 cargo plane, and it ended as a plane that wouldn't die. The cargo plane didn't work too well, but it is really strong. The standard Sparrow, but with a larger wing, F pack, and increased throws. Please do me a favor, don't hand toss this unless you know how to. I overbuilt the wing, but all that is needed should be two paint sticks in the wing. Mine had a larger tail that didn't seem to help because it was very weak and had too much pitch...

Read more about this resource...

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
When building make sure to give it some down thrust angle to counteract the power of the motor. When flying make sure not to push it to the edge of a stall because then it tip stalls and goes into a very hard to recover from spin. Landing is a piece of cake because it is a ground effect beast!

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Sorry about that, I think that if you click the button that says more information it should take you to the video. Here's the link if it doesn't work :)
You are correct, sir! I didn't even think to try that. Doh! Thank you, brother!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
If you want to use larger than stock servo arms for better throws you should put one servo slightly lower than the other so that they don't rub against each other.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
So unfortunately, my original prototype's fuselage has become too weak and flimsy, so after a crash I scrapped it for the snow skimmer. Here was the last flight. It was tail heavy as well.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
please can u upload some pics of this plane.. @Ryan O.
sure thing
1608316257403.png
1608316291869.png

1608316543716.png

Virtualjack

Thank you for putting these plans out.
I'm building the mighty mini sparrow but instead of putting the type A/F engine in the tail, I'm putting the type B engine from the Flerken Power Kit (it was cheaper). I'll let everyone know it goes.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Thank you for putting these plans out.
I'm building the mighty mini sparrow but instead of putting the type A/F engine in the tail, I'm putting the type B engine from the Flerken Power Kit (it was cheaper). I'll let everyone know it goes.
Cool, if you haven’t built yours yet wait a couple days because I’m updating the plans to be easier to use.

Virtualjack

I'll wait.

So far I just taped together five pieces of paper to give me a 36.5" wing. It might be about right if my WAGs are any good.

The nice thing about the Sparrow is it is easy to swap out wings so we can keep experimenting.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I'll wait.

So far I just taped together five pieces of paper to give me a 36.5" wing. It might be about right if my WAGs are any good.

The nice thing about the Sparrow is it is easy to swap out wings so we can keep experimenting.
the original had about a 46" wingspan so I likely made an error in my cad drawings, which is possible since it was the first one I did. I hope to get them redrawn tuesday or Monday if I'm quick.

Virtualjack

Your drawings were 46", I just removed a middle section :)
I looked at making modifications needed for a fitting a 2212 engine and it involves some significant changes to the fuselage at which point I realized, I need to build the original first and get used to its flight characteristics. Then I can try making modifications.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Your drawings were 46", I just removed a middle section :)
I looked at making modifications needed for a fitting a 2212 engine and it involves some significant changes to the fuselage at which point I realized, I need to build the original first and get used to its flight characteristics. Then I can try making modifications.
With the extra weight in the back you may want to lengthen the ones or at least give it a lot of nose weight. Mine flew tail heavy until I jammed a a 4s 850 in the front and added a RunCam 2.