Longest Flight time

Wojethebest

the competition is to have the longest flight time using a 2200mah 3 cell battery must have proof in video form showing the putting in of the battery(so we know you don't put another batteries in) and no gliders or planes i say looks like one(but if everyone disagrees it gets overruled)

Just make sure you don't run out of power and crash:black_eyed:

Have Fun

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hmm, I don't have proof, but my longest flight times are with slow sticks, Blu babies, and oddly enough, a speed 400 warbird geared 6.3 to 1 on a 4 s lipo 2200 lipo.

The times were: 1:15 min, 55 min, 53 min.

Maybe I will do another endurance flight soon, I wait for calm days, trim the plane for slow circling climbs, and set down the Tx,:p

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
How about an engineless Aeromacchi A-339 or P-33 Shooting Star or something along those lines? They are warbirds after all, but can slopesoar for hours and hours!:D

Of course I could always do a small modification to my 3S 2200mAh so with a little soldering it would become a 1S3P 6600mAh and then it will fly for days! And it's not cheating, it will have 3cells of 2200 each:D

Last edited:

SteevyT

How about an engineless Aeromacchi A-339 or P-33 Shooting Star or something along those lines? They are warbirds after all, but can slopesoar for hours and hours!:D

Of course I could always do a small modification to my 3S 2200mAh so with a little soldering it would become a 1S3P 6600mAh and then it will fly for days! And it's not cheating, it will have 3cells of 2200 each:D

Why not just make a harness that goes to the balance plug to stick the cells in parallel? No soldering on the battery required.

Wojethebest

It isn't a glider so its allowed

Since its a small mod ill allow it

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Why not just make a harness that goes to the balance plug to stick the cells in parallel? No soldering on the battery required.

If you ever do that, make sure to tell me first so I can be in another zip code! Unless you plan on doing it on the forth of july, of course!:D

Draw it out on a diagram, first of all the battery as is, then add your mod, and you'll see that you will be shorting out all the cells. Don't forget that to put 2 batteries in parallel you just join all the positives togeather and the negatives togeather. In series you join positive to negative in a fairy light configuration. Is you join up all the positives togeather to start a parallel battery without removing the series first, you still have a negative in the mix: the one that was joined to the positive to make the series. So as soon as you join them togeather, that cell to which the negative belongs will be shortcircuited. So before you make it into a parallel pack, you MUST first remove the serial connection!

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Actually, there would be an easyish way to do it with an unmoddified battery... The first way would be in theory a UBEC, but they don't give the most efficiency as there are still power losses... Transformer rule is the power going in is equal to the power going out. But it doesn't always work like that. Another way would be to make a small circuit with a relay built in that is connected to the balance port, and basically flipping a switch would change from one cell to another. It would have to be done on 35 (72) mhz as the 2.4 bind sequence during the splitsecond changeover on a slope can caise a crash, but on 35 it's instant as there is no binding involved.

Another thing would be to either make the plane with a dihedral and just have elevator and rudder controls, or to fit a single servo for both ailerons and have no rudder... The less servos there are, the less power consumption there is.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Warbird glider conversions arn't good for thermaling really... Too much weight and not enough wing area. But they work fantastic on an upward draft, hence why they are used a lot in slopesoaring. And sloping rules out the leaving it to slowly climb, as it is a very fast and active flight... You need to be constantly controlling it.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Wait, is it a sloping contest? I thought it was just duration...
When I say "thermal type", I just meant a gentle turn so it doesn't go OOS and also doesn't create a lot of drag. Warbirds can be turned gently for duration if necessary. Not really needed if sloping, but if it's straight duration...

Oh, Epi. I also managed to make some room in the budget and have some balsa headed my way!

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
The rules say no gliders, doesn't say anything though as to venue:eek:

Great! Any ideas what you'll end up building? A Fiu maybe!?:D

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The rules say no gliders, doesn't say anything though as to venue:eek:

Great! Any ideas what you'll end up building? A Fiu maybe!?:D
Slope can easily go all day with the right setup and conditions. I don't think that would be fair for a duration test...

I did order the sizes needed for the Fiu, how did you guess? lol

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Instead of "no gliders", how about "throttle must be engaged entire flight". :) It would be a much better, firm rule that has the same purpose. It will then be an engineering feat instead of a piloting skill feat.

Really wouldn't you just want to limit/set the throttle to something really low and let the plane do slow, lazy circles for about an hour?

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
No problem!! I put the spoilers or butterfly on the throttle stick, with them disengaged being with the stick at the top: if it's up, then the "throttle" channel is on full isn't it?:eek:

Then of course, I could always make a Lockheed U-2 (which is really a warbird too) with a small EDF in it and just keep the throttle on idle... turning, but not actually doing much. And I can totally underpower it by putting one of these tiny low amp EDF units that work off of 1S!!:D

Next firm, unaquivitable rule please!!:eek:

Last edited:

e_lm_70

the competition is to have the longest flight time using a 2200mah 3 cell battery must have proof in video form showing the putting in of the battery(so we know you don't put another batteries in) and no gliders or planes i say looks like one(but if everyone disagrees it gets overruled)

Just make sure you don't run out of power and crash:black_eyed:

Have Fun

I guess this record standing from 2003 is hard to beat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_of_Butts'_Farm

:cool:

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
No gliders or planes that look like one... Nothing an XB-35 with teeny tiny teeny props on 1S microheli motors can't solve... I'll even put the throttle up!! :D

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
No gliders or planes that look like one... Nothing an XB-35 with teeny tiny teeny props on 1S microheli motors can't solve... I'll even put the throttle up!! :D

Bah, Epitaph you need to think on a grander scale here! Think B-36!:p

In all honesty the term glider or looks like one is a little broad. The Bixler is a great glider, but it's considered a trainer! My cessna 180 I just finished is a full scale trainer, but it has a very light wingloading and an incredible glide.

I'm not bashing, in fact I love endurance contests! Still, maybe we need separate categories.

BTW in the glider category this is my longest flight, but it's still shorter than the slow stick.

Look at post 5:http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?6348-Bridi-Tercel&p=72295&viewfull=1#post72295