Look what I found, laying on top of a closet!

Johan

Not fully appropriate to post in Electric (being intended for a rubber band), but it is a warbird :)

I just suddenly rememberd that just before I moved to our current house and married I had bought a small balsa plane: Hawker Tempest Mk V..

foto.JPG

It had been lying on top of a (10 foot/3 meter high) closet for more than 10 years now.

Apparently I had already started roughly cutting parts.

foto 1.JPG

I'm now tempted to build it further...

Now where is that exacto knife ....

MrClean

10 years is a loooong time in rc development. You can truly have a lot of good flying fun now with what would have been a one shot, fragile but heavy sled back then.

Johan

I was thinking about that as well, but the model itself does not have movable control surfaces.
I'll have to figure out how to make it work :)

tramsgar

You could chew popsickle sticks and blend the pulp with wood glue and pour the mass in a mould made from the mirror part. Did that all the time as a kid.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
After this build, photocopy the plans and enlarge them. Then cut out all the formers and use them to hot wire cut out yourself a big warbird. :D

Johan

You could chew popsicle sticks and blend the pulp with wood glue and pour the mass in a mould made from the mirror part. Did that all the time as a kid.

I don't have any popsickle sticks lying around (feel a bit relieved because otherwise I'd have try :)).
Thanks for the suggestion.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Wait...you haven't started on it yet?!? What in the world you waiting on?!? There is unassembled balsa in front of you!!!
Get to it, man! and don't forget some pictures!!! :)

Johan

After this build, photocopy the plans and enlarge them. Then cut out all the formers and use them to hot wire cut out yourself a big warbird. :D

That is a neat idea! I'll photocopy the formers before assembly, since they're not part of the plans.
The plans only show placement, the shape of the formers was printed on the sheets of balsa.

Johan

Wait...you haven't started on it yet?!? What in the world you waiting on?!? There is unassembled balsa in front of you!!!
Get to it, man! and don't forget some pictures!!! :)

LOL, I did start, buts since everything is mirrored, I only need the second half for the copying :)

The box even contained the "UHU hart" balsa glue I put in there 10 years ago. It also stick very well to fingers I've noticed, not as bad as CA though ...

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
That is a neat idea! I'll photocopy the formers before assembly, since they're not part of the plans.
The plans only show placement, the shape of the formers was printed on the sheets of balsa.

I see...

I think I had a balsa rubber band powered kit that had all of the balsa pieces also on the plans. I might be remembering wrong.

I had a balsa rubber band powered Bird Dog kit that I never finished. Which is sad because all I had left was one of the wings. Then some one opened a window and blew pieces all over the place and I lost some pieces. Okay, that's just an excuse. I actually lost interest in finishing it because I started messing around with RC planes in the middle of the build.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
LOL, I did start, buts since everything is mirrored, I only need the second half for the copying :)

The box even contained the "UHU hart" balsa glue I put in there 10 years ago. It also stick very well to fingers I've noticed, not as bad as CA though ...
You know I'm only playing, Johan.
I've never used any of the UHU glues, always used either regular yellow wood glue (back in "the day") or CA's and epoxy. How is it working on the wood? Like tack time and grip...

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Why does he need Popsicle sticks to chew when all the scrap balsa is just sitting there and could be used the same way by chewing it and then gluing the pulp into the required piece? :p

Thurmond

Johan

You know I'm only playing, Johan.
I've never used any of the UHU glues, always used either regular yellow wood glue (back in "the day") or CA's and epoxy. How is it working on the wood? Like tack time and grip...

Lol, I know.
The UHU is not as fast as the CA, but faster then expected, grip could be better, still learning...