Look what I found, laying on top of a closet!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Wait I'll ask the dolphins and Slartibartfast! (funny, Safari's autocorrect either knows of Slartibartfast or just gave up :))
That's pretty funny, but remember he only did the fiords around Norway... The dolphins might be able to help though!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Hi tramsgar, didn't Tesla have an anti gravity theory as well? (Shhh, before you know it, HK will be selling modules doing just that :))
Tesla had a number of ideas that were all way ahead of his time like wireless power transmission, radio, vacuum tubes and others that slip my mind ATM... sucks getting CRS.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
While I am familiar with this one: Carrier Routing System, a large-scale core router (I have installed a few of Cisco's for AT&T), what I meant was "Can't Remember Stuff". It's actually a little more colorful than that, but I pg13'd it up for the forum

Johan

Sounds like it might be what we call Dope, as in Dope and tissue covering. My first balsa build was a freeflight glider that I covered in tissue and dope...what an ordeal! It flew well though, right up until it crashed into a tree trunk on a long landing...

Hi xuzme720, thanks for pointing me to the right terminology.

Beleave it or not: I just found the can of Dope I used to cover my first balsa plane (Tiger Moth, when I was still living at home (end teens, early twenties). Since the Hawker tempest is my second balsa plane, this can had been used and there was still something (¾) in the can, this must have been used for my first Balsa, over 20 years ago.

Man, they did not mind about solvents back then, this stuff is not water based, no wonder they call it 'Dope' :)
It appears to have survived these years (good lid:))
I'm now applying it to the paper (also more than a decade old) and it appears to work well.

Currently trying to get CA, UHU hart and this Dope from my hands and ventilate the premises :)

con244

Hey Johan, very interesting thread. I think you can use acetone to get that gunk off. Not sure if it is particularly good for you though. Nail polish remover may work ok as well.
Con

Johan

Hey Johan, very interesting thread. I think you can use acetone to get that gunk off. Not sure if it is particularly good for you though. Nail polish remover may work ok as well.
Con

Thanks con244,
Well the stuff (the dope I mean) at least smells if it contains acetone, benzene or some other mean stuff ...
Looking at the packaging, this is from before manufacturers were obliged to mention the ingredients, it only states:
highly inflammable (I can smell that...)

tramsgar

Hi tramsgar, didn't Tesla have an anti gravity theory as well? (Shhh, before you know it, HK will be selling modules doing just that :))

Not to my knowledge, but there was this death ray he only kept the plans for in his head.

Johan

Funny,

while looking for "Hawker Tempest" references, I found this British Clip about Air reconnaissance.

The plane in the clip seems to be a 'brother' of mine: In the clip there are two with registrations SA Z and SA W, the decals on mine are SA N ..

tempes SA N.jpg

PS, wings are covered now onto the fuselage ..

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Nice find! One of the nice things about scale craft, especially warbirds, is finding a specific plane to model and learning more about it's history.

Johan

Ha Dan, that is so true!,

but also following build threads of experienced builders (that rules me out :)) like: Joker53150:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...s-quot-Build-to-Win-quot-Contest-Build-Thread

He is great with Balsa and has many nice solutions/tricks

@XxBensterxX,

As you might have read, this is a > 10 year old kit I found on top of a closet. I found out that the exact same kit is still available:

http://hobby.uk.com/flying-scale-models/balsa-kits/wingleader-ww2/hawker-tempest-mk-v.html

and even on eBay :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/West-Wings-...200939228?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item1c382390dc

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
We all had a "first" kit. Give it a try. You might be surprised at how easy they can be.

Johan

Nice find! One of the nice things about scale craft, especially warbirds, is finding a specific plane to model and learning more about it's history.

Yeah, I've seen people NOT use decals provided with a kit, just because they were after replicating a particular edition, so they painted their own instead ...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
You might be surprised at how easy they can be.

Easy and hard -- Bensters, be prepared to put your heart and soul into an beautiful kit that blossoms into a really crappy airplane.

Yup! A crappy airplane you can be proud of!

Most everyone who builds a lot have a fond memories of building it, great pride in the accomplishment, and embarrassment at the quality of the build. Just remember, each one you build will be better than the last, in some way.

If you don't start and build the first, learn from it and build another, then another, you'll never make the masterpiece.

con244

Yep and then comes the day you are finally going out to maiden your brand new hand built model. You check every thing, wait for the wind to drop off and then launch it into .............. the ground!:mad: Still worth the effort though.
Con