Looking for 3D Printer Info

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am interested in to 3D printing. I would like to start my research with finding a good book or too on 3D printing. Right now I have the book " 3D Printing for dummies " 2nd edition. Copyright date is 2017. I want to find a book that is more up to date then the book that I have. I understand that 3D printing is a fast moving field. There might not be a book up to date because how the 3D field is changing. Can someone point me in the right direction ?

There are two different printers that I am interested in at the present time. They are, Ender 3 V2 or Voxelab Aquila. I am not planning to make a purchase on a printer till mid September. I want to understand the printers a litter better before I buy. I need to understand the software, the slicer, and any info that can help with printing. I'm I missing anything ? I have never done any cad drawing or 3D printing before.

All input is welcomed,
Al

kilroy07

Legendary member
I do not have any experience with the Voxelab, but I can recommend the Ender.

For a couple of reasons.
While it might need a couple "tweaks" to really make it preform, it does a pretty good job right out of the box.
It's cheap. Even if you expand or get a larger/more capable printer later on it makes a great "backup" or secondary printer.
(I use mine to print parts in different filaments while my Ender 5+ prints out the major plane parts in LWPLA.)
It's a good platform to Learn on. Easy to upgrade (although the V2 may not need upgrades as the V1 did...)
The fact there are millions of them out there, I doubt you will have an issue that someone else hasn't already come across/solved.
The bed is large enough to handle most jobs, but small enough you shouldn't have to worry about auto bed leveling (set it and forget it.)

If you are going to wait till Sep, you may want to wait a bit longer, there are usually crazy deals on black Friday...

Slicers are like transmitters, everyone has their favorite and will tell you theirs is the best.
Personally I like Simplify 3D, but it's old (dated), pricey and doesn't always process tricky parts (like 3D plane pieces) correctly, so I also rely on Cura.
The only reason I "hate" cura is it has a nasty habit of wiping out your settings (the "real work" of setting up a 3D printer) every time you update....

Head out to thingiverse and grab a STL or two (might I suggest the benchy) https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:763622
And open it up in the slicer of your choice (most slicers now help you get the initial config settings set up) and just play around a bit.
See how layer height will affect the time, the resolution. Learn about infill and supports.
Then when you are ready to buy, you'll be printing your first model minutes after getting it set up.

There are some really good you tube channels that can help you get started.
If you want some recommendations there I can offer a few as well.

Long story short, it's a hobby in it's own. And one that is really useful around the house. I've printed a bit for a broken fridge door and a Groot planter (to make the misses happy... ) and all sorts of brackets and whatnot.

I do suggest you get comfortable with "regular" prints before tackling 3D printed aircraft (or use their "tuned" Gcode files...) Printing planes takes a really tuned-in machine.

skymaster

Elite member
hi there, you are in the same boat that i am right now, i was also looking for a 3d printer and what a what coincidence that we looked at the same printers. for me i decided on the ender 3 v2. but my advice to you before you buy your 3d printer try to learn how to use the software.
there are a lot of videos that teach you how to make a 3d image. you might have to buy a few other tools to help you out like a geometry set and a caliper drawing on hands on and them transfering it to the pc are a great way to learn. there are a few good software like tinker cad, inkscape and fusion 360 and many more. its very time consuming but it's fun so it time to learn have fun.

tamuct01

I recommend the Prusa printers. I have a Mk2 that's been upgraded to the Mk2.5S. The Prusa printers are more expensive than the Chinese competitors, but the experience tends to be more polished and less fiddling to make them work. There are plenty of great YouTube channels on the subject. Makers Muse, 3D Printing Nerd, and Thomas Sanladerer are some of my favorites.

alan0043

there are a few good 3D printer YouTube channels, I would suggest checking out one (or a few) of them.

Here are 2 that might be worth looking at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbgBDBrwsikmtoLqtpc59Bw

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMakersMuse

Hi Jason,

Thank you for the links. The fellow from Teaching Tech has a host of information. He does a nice job explaining things.

Here is a little info on prices that I have found on these two printers. The Ender 3 V2 for $230 and the Voxelab Aquila for $168. The Aquila looks to be a clone of the Ender 3 V2 for $62 less. Also from what I can understand from watching some videos is that both printers use the same firmware. If I am wrong please correct me.

Please keep the info coming. I would like to say Thank you to the guys that have posted info.

alan0043

Do you know what drivers the Aquila uses? (that might be the cost difference right there...

Hi kilroy,

I do not know the answer to your question. Here is a rookie question. Are the drivers parts of the software or firmware ? Or are they hardware ?

evolwun

The "Ender 3 style" printers are, by far, the most popular starter printer right now. My two cents... V-Wheels are the worst of the three main options for motion systems in 3D printers.

Linear rails > Linear rods > V-Wheels

kilroy07

Legendary member
Hi kilroy,

I do not know the answer to your question. Here is a rookie question. Are the drivers parts of the software or firmware ? Or are they hardware ?
When I say "drivers" I am speaking about hardware. Specifically the little chips that control the stepper motors. A couple years back some newer "silent" chips came out and there was also a major change from 16 to 32 bit CPUs, While the older technology does work (especially for Cartesian setups) the newer drivers/cpus are just all around better.

As many are suggesting, the ender is a lower end machine, BUT with a few updates, this is the quality I'm getting out of my Ender 3 V1.
(See pic)
This is the exhaust of my SR-71 design printed in LW-PLA (which can be tricky to print with) and as you can see, nice results. That said, it didn't come out of the box like that.

Others have suggested the prusa and yea, it's definitely the Cadillac, but you will pay for that. I suggest the ender the same reasoning as FT suggests the tiny trainer, is it the best plane, no. Is it the easiest to build, no. But, does it give you a good entry point (not to easy, not to hard) and offers room to grow? Yes.

Obviously these are just MY opinions/suggestions. If you can afford the Prusa and don't want to worry about upgrading/tuning then that might be the best route for you.

Life is full of trade offs, 3D printers are no different. The hard part is deciding what is best for YOU.

IMG_1546[1].JPG

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I came across this video and it looks to be quit helpful. I believe it could answer most of my questions. I thought I would share. Enjoy.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Hi Everyone,

I came across this video and it looks to be quit helpful. I believe it could answer most of my questions. I thought I would share. Enjoy.

Yeaaa.... You got to be really careful on YT with reviews. often channels get stuff for free (i.e. two extra spools of filament as well as the printer) and it shows in their sugar coated reviews.

One reason I respect Thomas is he really points out issues with the printers he reviews.

alan0043

Yeaaa.... You got to be really careful on YT with reviews. often channels get stuff for free (i.e. two extra spools of filament as well as the printer) and it shows in their sugar coated reviews.

One reason I respect Thomas is he really points out issues with the printers he reviews.

Hi kilroy,
Thank you for the link to the video.