Looking for a cheap FPV Setup with 1km range (0.6 miles aprox.)

MarioGdV

I looked some old posts with people having the same problem and everyone solved it in different ways. I think it could be a problem with the wires, so instead of using the 5V output of the VTx, I'll connect the camera to the battery, just like the video transmitter.

Bricks

Master member
I think I did. I changed the antenna while it was connected, but it was just a couple of seconds. Is it important?

Could very well be the problem by chance you burned out the transmitter. With out the antenna connected it gets hot very quick and burns it out..

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Generally a black screen indicates that the VTx is transmitting but not getting any signal. If the VTx is not transmitting, you get snow. Double check that the camera is getting proper power, the signal wire connections are solid, and the lens cap is off ;)

MarioGdV

Generally a black screen indicates that the VTx is transmitting but not getting any signal. If the VTx is not transmitting, you get snow. Double check that the camera is getting proper power, the signal wire connections are solid, and the lens cap is off ;)

I've just connected the camera and the transmitter to 2 different batteries, but the results are the same, just a black screen.
Also, the lens cap is off, and I'm in a place with light, so I think the problem is the camera. I'm going to look inside it to see if there's something wrong.

IanSR

I assume the camera casing is getting warm to the touch after a few minutes?

Do you have an old AV input on a tv or something? If so connect the camera video out to that instead (but keep the battery connected) that way you can eliminate the video input part of the vtx (I've had this where the receiver only gets a black screen and the camera video out works fine, meaning something is broke in the vtx on the input side, it's quiet a common problem on those tiny KingKong VTXs).

Also please check the pins inside the camera, make sure they are ok and you didn't accidentally try and plug in the cable the other way and flatten them.

(I just noticed I have exactly the same FPV setup as you, camera and vtx, so yeah, separate them both and check them individually ef ore you go tearing the sparrow apart.)

MarioGdV

I assume the camera casing is getting warm to the touch after a few minutes?

Do you have an old AV input on a tv or something? If so connect the camera video out to that instead (but keep the battery connected) that way you can eliminate the video input part of the vtx (I've had this where the receiver only gets a black screen and the camera video out works fine, meaning something is broke in the vtx on the input side, it's quiet a common problem on those tiny KingKong VTXs).

Also please check the pins inside the camera, make sure they are ok and you didn't accidentally try and plug in the cable the other way and flatten them.

(I just noticed I have exactly the same FPV setup as you, camera and vtx, so yeah, separate them both and check them individually ef ore you go tearing the sparrow apart.)

The goggles had this cable in the package, is that what you mean?
15460820577611573474701.jpg

If I connect that to the video cable of the camera, it doesn't receive any signal.
1546082250212436104391.jpg

Also, the camera gets warm, and smells like something is burned inside it.

MarioGdV

I connected the green/white cable to see if the audio works, and for some reason, it does. The microphone of the camera works, but it doesn't send any images. That's weird

IanSR

Yes but you need to connect the video negative to the input too, that's the black cable, relying on a common ground being connected is not a good idea and rarely works.

Of the wires coming out the Runcam:
Yellow is video signal.
Black is video negative (ground) AND power ground.
Red is power positive.

Run two cables off the end of the black wire, send one to the negative on the battery, and place the other onto the outer metal part of that video input connector. See if you get s signal then.

It's preferable to do a proper connection with solder or chocolate connectors but you can get away with just sticking the wires inside the socket like you have, if it doesn't seem to work, just move the yellow wire about a bit inside the barrel just to be sure it is making a connection.

Last edited:

MarioGdV

Yes but you need to connect the video negative to the input too, that's the black cable, relying on a common ground being connected is not a good idea and rarely works.

Of the wires coming out the Runcam:
Yellow is video signal.
Black is video negative (ground) AND power ground.
Red is power positive.

Run two cables off the end of the black wire, send one to the negative on the battery, and place the other onto the outer metal part of that video input connector. See if you get s signal then.

It's preferable to do a proper connection with solder or chocolate connectors but you can get away with just sticking the wires inside the socket like you have, if it doesn't seem to work, just move the yellow wire about a bit inside the barrel just to be sure it is making a connection.

I did it, and there's no image. I guess the problem is the camera and not the VTx. Thanks for the help.

IanSR

Well your English is far better than my Spanish (it's actually better English than most English people speak nowdays).

I was going to suggest borrowing a camera, even if it was one of these 5g ones, to be 100% sure of the camera being the issue.