Looking for a good plane to fly with winds

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Hello, family.
The truth is that these days it has been doing a bad weather with winds between 10 and 25 km/h, maybe more. So much for getting my little planes in the air. In fact, my new Tundra is waiting for the weather to improve before it's maiden. The point is that I really don't know when the situation will improve, and I haven't been able to fly for two months now. I'd like to have a plan B for the windy days.

I've been reading that the slope soaring is a good option for windy days, however I don't have any coastline or cliffs near the house, and the only hill I have access to is full of trees and shrubs on much of it. I have also seen some videos of DLGs being flown on the plain or even in the city with success.

Can anyone recommend a plane that can fly in strong winds and have some fun without fear of breaking or losing it? I can't buy online, so it would be a scratch build.

Thank you in advance

FDS

Elite member
Wings are good in wind, their low cross section helps them and they are still agile. Bigger quads are fun in wind too, they have bags of power.
The FT Versa Wing or Mini Arrow might be a good place to start.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Versas and Arrows are great planes to fly in wind for the reasons others have mentioned.

2 things I'd recommend with them, though:

1) Get them balanced out before you even throw them in the air. If it's not balanced, that sucker's gonna be hard to control.

2) Set some rates for throw. Full travel makes these things twitchier than a caffeine addict on their 3rd pot of coffee, and it can be a lot to control, especially at speed. Plus, with different rates set up on a switch, you can throw it to put it into a higher rate of travel when you have lower wind, and/or are bringing it in for a landing.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Versas and Arrows are great planes to fly in wind for the reasons others have mentioned.

2 things I'd recommend with them, though:

1) Get them balanced out before you even throw them in the air. If it's not balanced, that sucker's gonna be hard to control.

2) Set some rates for throw. Full travel makes these things twitchier than a caffeine addict on their 3rd pot of coffee, and it can be a lot to control, especially at speed. Plus, with different rates set up on a switch, you can throw it to put it into a higher rate of travel when you have lower wind, and/or are bringing it in for a landing.
Excellent!
My Tx is not programmable, only a two position switch for the DualRates. so I could have 100% or 50% servo movement.
I'll take your advice. Thanks a lot.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
The Kitfox my man, the Kitfox. Does well in the wind, easy to fly and to build...
This is in about a 25kph wind, it will handle in higher winds too.
Here is the thread with the plans
Yessss, i really like your Kitfox design!!! So it maybe means my Scrtach built Tunda could handle windy days :unsure:? My last trainer flew several extremely windy days and behaved perfectly. Maybe my tundra will do the same?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yessss, i really like your Kitfox design!!! So it maybe means my Scrtach built Tunda could handle windy days :unsure:? My last trainer flew several extremely windy days and behaved perfectly. Maybe my tundra will do the same?
I know when I built the Bushwhacker it wasn't as stable in winds, I don't know what your tundra wing is like, but the 6" of under camber on each wing tip really made it wobble around. So I designed this wing to handle windy conditions better and it has proved itself to a few others who have built it. Give it a shot, I would defiantly like to know what you think of it.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I know when I built the Bushwhacker it wasn't as stable in winds, I don't know what your tundra wing is like, but the 6" of under camber on each wing tip really made it wobble around. So I designed this wing to handle windy conditions better and it has proved itself to a few others who have built it. Give it a shot, I would defiantly like to know what you think of it.
I'd love to be able to build all the planes in the world. But really the time and especially the availability of materials makes it difficult. And that's not to mention my wife. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Let's just say I'm trying to build different kinds of planes. And for now the STOL position was taken by my Tundra. ;) I think as soon as she dies, I'll try the kitfox for sure. (when I say her, I mean my tundra, not my wife) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: