Help! Looking for a high(ish) quality E-Sailplane

stereodreieck86

Hello guys,

I used to have asw28 (FlyFly) and sold it because of problems with the quality (twisted tail, wrong angle of incidence and a problem with the mount for the T-Tail)for that reason I like to stay away from FlyFly (if possible). Unless the quality has improved a lot (which is probably not the case).
I would love to upgrade my fleet to something better (from foamies and the VolantexRC ASW28) to composite-fuselage and high-quality wings.
I still own the VolantexRC ASW28 (which has a great fuselage but the wings are not soo great) but I still like to step up my game.

I did some research and found the Beinecke ASW24 for 249Euro which is a superb price since airbrakes are included and the quality is fantastic but the wings are a little bit soft and the used airfoil makes the plane kinda slow. The wings are styro/balsa and the fuse is made out of epoxy.
Check out http://www.beineke-modellbau.de/asw24.htm WE (RCguys)have a bunch of motors/ESC/servos sitting on the shelf that we can use.

Which plane would you recommend? I live in Germany.

Cheers Nik

asw-elektrik1.jpg
asw28-18_2.jpg
asw24_4.jpg

Last edited:

clolsonus

I bought the hobby king ASW28 for $99 (US) + free shipping when I saw it come up on sale. This is my first sailplane so I can't say much about efficiency and thermaling, but it flew straight and true. It had plenty of power for steep climbouts. The quality seemed very acceptable, on par with any other foam/pnp type model. (Over the years I've seen much much worse.) You could nit-pick that it has flaps instead of more scale spoilers, but the flaps are effective for increasing drag on landing approach. For the price I paid, I'm thrilled with it.

Sounds like you might be looking for a step up from this type of model, so I'll be interested in hearing if there are other suggestions. One of these days it would be fun to have a 3-4m version, put in an autopilot, and play with autonomous soaring, but prices go up rapidly with scale!

Brett_N

I have whatever the BIG Vlantex is (the 3 meter) one and aside from some hangar rash, I like it.

I wouldn't GIVE you a FlyFly based on the current experience I'm having on my build table. Huge waste of money.

stereodreieck86

Sounds like you might be looking for a step up from this type of model, so I'll be interested in hearing if there are other suggestions. One of these days it would be fun to have a 3-4m version, put in an autopilot, and play with autonomous soaring, but prices go up rapidly with scale!

I am willing to spend roughly 250bucks. the Reichard planes look really nice:
https://www.der-schweighofer.at/Proxima-II-ARF-Kit-2780-mm-Reichard-a69936
Proxima-II-ARF-Kit-2780-mm-Reichard-2198673-a69936.jpg

I wouldn't GIVE you a FlyFly based on the current experience I'm having on my build table. Huge waste of money.
Do you have a build thread ?