Looking for a large wingspan Scratch Build

Bricks

Master member
Normally you cannot just scale up plans with out making changes as the lines for the thickness of the foamboard is enlarged at the same time, making fold over cuts to big.

jack10525

Just remembered this post. Wow the storch with the 60" wing looks amazing. Might have to try that. Are you running the stock motor or something bigger?

Last edited:

Arcfyre

Elite member
Just remembered this post. Wow the storch with the 60" wing looks amazing. Might have to try that. Are you running the stock motor or something bigger?

I have a massive power setup. Propdrive 4238 750KV with an 80A ESC. Spins a 12x8 prop. It's a beast.

quorneng

Master member
There is a lot to be said for the Skymaster layout as you get counter rotation props (i.e no motor torque) without worrying about CW and CCW props and no asymmetric thrust if one motor goes down for any reason.
Mine is Depron rather than DTFB and the front motor is switchable from the the Tx.
21Apr18.JPG

Sounds impressive with both running but it also flies very well, and for a long time, with just the rear one.
Plans? It was built from a particularly detailed 3 view down loaded from the internet, suitably scaled up and tile printed.

Timmy P

There is a lot to be said for the Skymaster layout as you get counter rotation props (i.e no motor torque) without worrying about CW and CCW props and no asymmetric thrust if one motor goes down for any reason.
Mine is Depron rather than DTFB and the front motor is switchable from the the Tx.
View attachment 115206
Sounds impressive with both running but it also flies very well, and for a long time, with just the rear one.
Plans? It was built from a particularly detailed 3 view down loaded from the internet, suitably scaled up and tile printed.

Oh wow, That thing is perfect to scale. I really like that. It looks like ours may be about the same wingspan. My Skymaster is a 60 Inch dtfb build. It is really cool having the reverse prop and no torque roll. Get in trouble and just gun it right out. Its a plane that won't catch you off guard. How long have you been flying it?

quorneng

Master member
Timmy P
I have just looked up one of the original videos - actually its second flight - 25 May 2013!
It is one of my planes that needed no adjustment from day one although it has had a few 'cosmetic' repairs over the years.
It is still going strong and will be flown at a scale 'fly in' in 10 days time.