Looking for a quality PLA at a reasonable price

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a quality PLA at a reasonable price. I am just starting to get into 3D printing. What company name makes a quality product ? I do understand, you get what you pay for. I don't need to start with top shelve PLA, but I don't want bottom shelve quality either. Please point me in the right direction. If there are any threads out there on this, please post the link.

Open to all info,
Al

Turbojoe

Elite member
I've tried a few different brands and settled on this one: AMAZON LINK. I've had brands that were so fragile that the filament would go brittle and break just sitting on the reel holder for a day or so. My current enotepad reel (red) has been hanging on the holder for better than 4 months now. Still as fresh as new. I bought 3 more rolls. Amazon doesn't show many colors but I'm sure they make more colors.

Joe

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

Doing some research on the leads that I have from the following guys. I listed the filaments in order from the post.
1. eSun
2. Enotepad
3. Hatchbox
4. Inland

It looks like you can buy all the above companies from Amazon. Some of the manufacturer have a better price if you go to their websites.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Microcenter Inland filaments are rebranded eSun. Definately value for price. If you want to spend a bit more, Hatchbox is better. But Inland with the right settings is a great value.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I have used Esun and Hatchbox. Esun is definitely the better of the two.
Interesting, @SquirrelTail said that for him esun gave him constant problems but hatchbox worked great, so that’s why I went with hatchbox. I guess that just means I have another excuse to buy some more filament to test out. :) What printer are you using? I’ve also used iSANMATE PLA+ wood filament, it worked fantastic and the wood filament gives a super cool finish.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I find Hatchbox works very well at lower temps, but eSun/inland at slightly higer temps is almost as good...

Printer calibration like Temperature PIDs can make a big difference for ANY filament. Esecially if they have a narrrower temperature window.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Interesting, @SquirrelTail said that for him esun gave him constant problems but hatchbox worked great, so that’s why I went with hatchbox. I guess that just means I have another excuse to buy some more filament to test out. :) What printer are you using? I’ve also used iSANMATE PLA+ wood filament, it worked fantastic and the wood filament gives a super cool finish.
Stock Creality Ender 3 Pro

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have 3 printers... and have been messing around with 3D printing for 6+ish years. Have not tried every filament out there and have mostly used knock off printers, but have found that a well tuned printer will work well with just about ANY filament.

alan0043

And for reference I used eSun Pla+

Hey Kn,

What our your thoughts on the eSun PLA + ? I was thinking about going that direction. I have watched a few videos where different guys have tested the Pla + with what looks like look results. They were doing mechanical strength test.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Hey Kn,

What our your thoughts on the eSun PLA + ? I was thinking about going that direction. I have watched a few videos where different guys have tested the Pla + with what looks like look results. They were doing mechanical strength test.
It is just all around better. I really like it. Stronger, better adhesion, higher temps, and it never gets tangled

alan0043

Hi Guys,

I have made a decision on what filament to go with for my first filament buy. I am just getting into 3D printing. The printer I bought was a Creality Ender 3 V2. I have also added a second screw rod and motor to help the with the printer head to move up and down evenly. I have not run any filament thru the printer yet. I am going to try the eSun PLA +. This is going to be an interesting journey. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a quality PLA at a reasonable price. I am just starting to get into 3D printing. What company name makes a quality product ? I do understand, you get what you pay for. I don't need to start with top shelve PLA, but I don't want bottom shelve quality either. Please point me in the right direction. If there are any threads out there on this, please post the link.

Open to all info,
Al
Matterhackers build series and solutech are great and cheap.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Hi Guys,

I have made a decision on what filament to go with for my first filament buy. I am just getting into 3D printing. The printer I bought was a Creality 3 V2. I have also added a second screw rod and motor to help the with the printer head to move up and down evenly. I have not run any filament thru the printer yet. I am going to try the eSun PLA +. This is going to be an interesting journey. Wish me luck.
Awesome! Tell me how the V2 is for you. I have my eye on it but it would take me 25 weeks to save up enough for it.