Looking for a Warbird, Suggestions?

R0CKSTAR3N3RGY

Hey everyone! First post around here but I'm not new to RC planes.

I currently have three warbirds but I have only been able to fly one of them.

I have the following:

FMS 800mm BF109

BlitzRCWorks P51D

ParkZone Ultra Micro P40

The only warbird I have been able to fly is the P40. I assume it's most likely because of the AS3X, but I was really surprised when I just couldn't fly the BF109 and especially the P51. I honestly thought the P51 would be easy to fly.
The problem I had with the 109 was most likely getting off the ground with too much thrust, causing me to fight the torque roll. I was able to glue it back together and will try flying it again. However, for the P51, it may have been tail heavy, but I thought I had the CG balanced before take off. Once the plane was in the air, it did show symptoms of being tail heavy. However, the problem was when the ESC or maybe even the motor decided to drop down to something like 40% throttle and wouldn't go back up. Leading me to breaking a landing leg on landing and the motor is grinding and screeching after the crash. Maybe I'll order a new motor/esc from Fly Fly Hobby (aka BlitzRCWorks). Let me know what you think!

Anyway, I currently have two other planes that I can fly no problem. My other two planes are a E-Flite Carbon Cub SS and a E-Flite Inverza 280. Both of these planes I love, especially the Inverza 280.

Lately I've been flying the heck out of my Inverza which has gotten me feeling confident in buying another warbird. I have been looking at either the ParkZone T28, because of the famously good flight characteristics and tricycle gear, or the P47D from either HobbyKing or ParkZone (1100mm). I know on the show Josh flew a 1600mm P47 from HK and it looked like it was a delight to fly. Of course I would be open to buying another suggested warbird!

I'd like to know if you have any suggestions, tips, or anything worth sharing with me in guiding me into my next warbird purchase.

Thanks!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If you want a great flying warbird, try the FT spitfire. I love mine and I have never been a fan of warbirds due to their bad habits like tip stalls. The spit flies almost like my combat delta as far as maneuverability but tracks like it's on rails. I know you said you're looking to buy, so might not be into a foamboard plane, but it really looks good in the air and flies better than any other warbird I've flown...

R0CKSTAR3N3RGY

I thought about doing some home builds like the FT Spitfire. I was really interested in post I saw about a FT Spitfire turned into a BF109.

Speaking of BF109's, I finally got my 109 all set to fly and got it off the ground today! I got two good flights! It does have a pretty nasty tip stall but it was a lot of fun!

However, I might move into a pretty sick FPV build, but I would still love some more suggestions for warbirds!

H!-OcTaN3

Hi,

I can tell you from experience (i taught myself to fly on one) the park-zone corsair is a fantastic model (1100mm). I did have the older version which didn't have rudder, but the flight characteristics were amazing. It did have an upgraded turnigy motor and i was flying on a 2 blade instead of (scale) 3.

That bird would hand launch at half throttle (no torque roll) on a 3000Mah 3s 40c pack i could fly for nearly ten minutes and landing was an absolute joy, cut throttle and glide in or come in under power was just as easy.

When i got more confident it was doing rolls, loops, inverted circuits, cubans and really things it was necessarily designed for.

I have read more than my fair share of how NOT to get a warbird if you have just learnt to fly (trainer) but this plane was so forgiving yet completely up to the challenge for a more aggressive pilot that I cant say enough good things about it.

Chris

oatman

I thought about doing some home builds like the FT Spitfire. I was really interested in post I saw about a FT Spitfire turned into a BF109.

Speaking of BF109's, I finally got my 109 all set to fly and got it off the ground today! I got two good flights! It does have a pretty nasty tip stall but it was a lot of fun!

However, I might move into a pretty sick FPV build, but I would still love some more suggestions for warbirds!

Which FMS 109 do you have? The original V1 with the desert paint scheme or the second V1 with grey camp scheme?

The desert scheme V1 is a great docile and easy to fly warbird. It has a relatively low wing loading so it has a generously wide flight envelope. Super predictable and gentile stall with no bad tendencies... Definitely doe not tip stall. I have and love the Hobby King version that comes with rudder servo installed despite the description that says otherwise. It handles wind very well for its size as well so once you are familiar flying in the calm you will have no troubles on moderately windy days.

I'm not familiar with the grey camo version, but it is smaller at 750mm wingspan and though it doesn't seem like much accounts from others indicate it isn't quite as easy to fly but still pretty awesome to. And faster as it comes with a higher kv motor.

There is now a V2 just out that has an even higher kv motor than the second V1 and is also smaller at 750mm but is is so new there haven't been a lot feedback yet.

Anyways keep flying that 109, it will reward you... And don't go full WOT on take off! 1/2 throttle or a touch past is plenty for a gentle climb out without torque or p-factor issues. And keep a touch of Right rudder to compensate.

Anyways keep flying and enjoy. Hope this helps.

As for warbird suggestions... I'm assuming you mean easy to fly for the relatively inexperienced warbird pilot... I have a few suggestions for what ever that is worth.

1. 1000mm - 1200mm is a sweet spot for easy flying and able to handle wind while being affordable and low fuss. Smaller usually drops off in terms of easy flying characteristics generally but there are some exceptions. Bigger gets complicated and expensive and cumbersome but there are always exceptions.

2. Get something popular. If it sells well the. There will be a lot of reviews and online help that is easy to find. Questions and issues will be quickly and easily responded to with reliable and dependable info.

3. Lots of available Spare! This is obvious but often overlooked IMO.

Basically that's it... Read the reviews and you'll start to see what seems to be appropriate.

My first warbird was selected along the same lines and fit the bill perfectly.
The Durafly P-51 1100mm EPO foamy. All the reviews said it was almost a low wing trainer it was so easy to fly and well mannered. I found this to be the case and flew the heck out of it until I eventually moved on and sold it second hand. I highly recommend this one, especially if you have some firm smooth strip to roll off on the wheels. It hand launches easily though I. The beginning I wouldn't recommend doing so yourself... Have a buddy who knows what they are doing help. It will fly off grass with some attention and tweeting but it can be a pain to sort it out and as a beginner you don't need the aggravation and nose over induced broken props.

There is even a new version in different paint so you have two options now... Usually in stock from your local warehouse...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...tang_w_flaps_retracts_lights_1100mm_pnf_.html

The parkzone warbirds as mentioned by the previous poster are all good choices as well and if you do some research you will see there are loads of good options. I like the parkzone spitfire... Loads of peeps at my flying club fly these and they are very forgiving warbirds and look awesome too.

Last edited: