Looking for advice RotorX V3 or Vortex 150

z506

Hello,

I have been flying LOS toy grade quads for about 1 year, six months ago I bought a Taranis XD9 Plus and started using it to practice on the LiftOff simulator, now I want to enter in the real FPV world starting with a mini but powerful quad.

I did some research, watched a ton of videos and I'm having a hard time to decide between the RotorX V3 (DYI) or the Vortex 150.

Does someone have experience with any of this models that can share?

Any other model or path that I should be considering?

Thanks

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Not sure if this is the Vortex.
https://www.hobbytown.com/vortex-150-pro-bnf-basic-quadcopter-drone-by-blade-helis-blh9550/p540738

If so, it is BNF but to Spektrum NOT FrSky. You will likely have to replace the receiver or mod your radio to be able to fly with the Taranis.

The RotorX Atom V3 is also BNF to Spektrum NOT FrSky. Again you have to swap the receiver on the copter or change the module on the Taranis to DSMX.

If you want a BNF the FuriousFPV Moskito 70 can be ordered with a FrSky receiver. I own one and it was simple to bind to my Taranis and I was flying quickly.

However, if you want to move up from toys, the Moskito isn't much of a jump. If I were you, I would build an Alien or Martian 5" with eMAX red bottom 2205 2300kvs on 4S with a KISS FC and KISS 24A ESCs. It's hard but completely hobby grade. It will be VERY powerful and completely customize able and repairable. With an X4R-SB receiver you can use Taranis SBus and telemetry with voice alerts.

Welcome to FliteTest! :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I agree with Cranial on building your own with a kiss setup. Nothing says you can't put those electronics on a smaller frame then the Alien either.

TBS pnp50 for power filter +osd
KISS FC
KISS24a RE esc's
Motors to match the size of the quad frame.

Possible sub 200 frames could be one the Dquad frames like Rolf Venz flies
Any of the true X frame clones
Armattan Tank or SCX series
There is also Shendrones Mako or Mitsuko frames. Cranial built a killer Mitsuko not to long ago if you want a real challenge

There are also pre-built ones like the Holybro Shuriken 180 from getfpv.com if you want bnf for Frsky

BrianK

I have a rotorx atom v3. I don't have a vortex 150 but i do have a vortex 250.

I have owned the atom v3 for about two months. I have spent 10 minutes flying it in that time. I crushed the flight controller by trying to fit a xsr under the canopy. I've later found it will fit behind the camera.
I ordered a new flight controller and installed. The esc and motors would work fine when powered up in betaflight however the motors would work erratically when triggered by the receiver. I dumped the file in the cli and all four motors smoked on reboot.

I started a ticket with rotorx and was sent to tbs. I started a ticket with tbs and finally received a response six days after i opened the ticket. I payed 30 dollars to ship the cube and motors to tbs. They shipped a cube and motors when i provided tracking info of shipping on my end. I received the new cube and motors 5 weeks after my original purchase of the atom. They have recvied the bad compents and said they were looking in to the problem but i haven't heard anything yet.

I received the cube and motors yesterday. I assembled and flew. Horizon and angle mode would not work no matter what i did in the tbs osd nor betaflight. I dumped the cli for my records and the left rear motor smoked upon reboot. I have confirmed the esc works. I am now dealing with tbs again.

My vortex 250 has worked great since day one. I have crashed it hard many times and have had to replace esc's and motors but for the most part it has been a tank and always worked properly. Between the unreliably and slow customer service of tbs, i would choose a vortex 150 if given the choice again.

BrianK

I just got the vortex 150. It can't compare to the atom at all.
The atom rotates better and is much faster.

BrianK

The vtx antenna base is sandwiched between the top plate and pdb. A crash from the back will break the pdb and lens.

I'd recommend relocating the antenna base before crashing.