Looking for advice

Grif M

I am new to the RC world and have recently been given an older balsa wood plane.It has some components but I need to get some things I am unsure about. I need a motor an ESC a prop and a receiver. Here are the specs
-Fuselage length is 37.5 inches
-Wing span 49 inches
-Width 3 inches
-The weight is 24-28 oz
-It is low wing
36DA32D9-F4DA-43B2-950F-9D02F6052A7C.jpeg

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
We also will need to know the make/model of your transmitter to answer your receiver question.

Do you have a lipo? If so, what are the S and mAh ratings please? :)

Piotrsko

Master member
Looking at it, I figure it's a faster "Pattern" ship. Not necessarily a trainer, but with help could be if you can get a teacher that knows how to actually teach.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It does look like a faster plane just looking at how small the aileron chord is and the minimal rudder throw.

I would say anything with 1200kv or higher on a 4s 50C with a 60 amp ESC spinning a 9-10" prop should bring it to life. These would be minimum suggestions of coarse, you could go bigger

Grif M

Looking at it, I figure it's a faster "Pattern" ship. Not necessarily a trainer, but with help could be if you can get a teacher that knows how to actually teach.
I have been flying for about a year now and started with an older mini apprentice with out safe select and crashed it once when the vertical stabilizer snapped. I have moved on to the E-flite pt-17 and have been doing rolls and loops with it. There are people where I fly who have been helping me to a lot.

Grif M

It does look like a faster plane just looking at how small the aileron chord is and the minimal rudder throw.

I would say anything with 1200kv or higher on a 4s 50C with a 60 amp ESC spinning a 9-10" prop should bring it to life. These would be minimum suggestions of coarse, you could go bigger

Thank u I am going to ask for those for Christmas 😀

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I was asking for cell count. :)

I don't know how to recommend a motor, ESC and prop without knowing the cell count that will be used.

@BATTLEAXE nailed it when he included the 4S 50C lipo.

Now the question is, what mAh 4S 50C lipo is going to fit inside that fuselage?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I am new to the RC world and have recently been given an older balsa wood plane.
You have a beautiful plane.

I would recommend you set it aside for now. This will be a great 3-4th plane. Build a few FT trainer planes, learn to fly with them. After you have mastered the skills of RC flying then outfit and fly this plane.

This plane is not a trainer plane. It will be very fast. Do not try to fly it now.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I've thought about doing fuel of some sort in the past; then I look at the cost for a gallon of nitro at the local hobby shop, plus the noise restrictions in our area (Can't fly until after 9 am, gotta keep it under 95 db), and the cost for a good Saito engine, and I just go, "Naaaah...I'll stay electric." :)

Don't get me wrong, it can be exhilarating, but there's the mess, the cost, the testing prior to each flight, and of course, dead sticking should you run out of fuel or sputter it while doing a loop/roll/flying inverted. Does that mean you shouldn't fly gas? No, not at all. Just things to be aware of before you jump into it...