Looking for an RX/TX solution - FT Gremlin micro quad + Turnigy 9x

twisties

Years ago I got a hold of a Turnigy 9x, which is a complicated story in itself, one which probably wouldn't have ended in that particular radio if things had gone differently but alas!

So, I just had a birthday (29, not looking forward to next year :| ) and figured I could use the birthday present as a method of getting me in the hobby and so I ordered my FT Gremlin (which is now completed minus the RX).

The thinking at the time was to either go a micro receiver for the 9x or just use the included 8channel huge RX and just have it hilariously sitting on top but due to less than stellar research on my part, I now seem to have found that there are no micro sized / ppm receivers that will work the the stock 9x, and that the larger 8channel RX doesn't output PPM.

SOOOO,

Next mission is to swap a new module into the 9x but I'm stuck for which way to go. I like the idea of the DIY FrSky modules and just hooking it up inside the case but there appears to be multiple versions of that too, with or without telemetry etc, and then comes the question of which RX specifically to use.

In an ideal world I'd go out and buy myself a better new radio but A] I keep myself to a really strict budget and can't really justify it with an 8 month old crawling around and only one wage and B] I started this process attempting to use what I already have and kinda wanna see it through.

TL;DR

In order to make use of my existing radio, and have access to affordable, compatible receivers for potentially more multi-rotos / fixed wings now and into the future, what should I get?

jtrops

We have a 9xr for our club, and we put a $40 multi protocol module in it. This module binds with most receivers, and would let you run an $8 Flysky Rx, or an Frsky, or dsmx, or just about anything. We even fly cheap Chinese toy quads with it.

The one we have doesn't have a knob to select protocols, so if you got one like ours you would have to flash new firmware to support selecting protocols in the model setup screen. Otherwise, it would solve your problem.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
This is the latest and greatest module to support multiple protocols.

iRangeX IRX4 2.4G CC2500 NRF24L01 A7105 CTRF6936 4 IN 1 Multiprotocol STM32 TX Module With Case
https://banggood.app.link/hBkSrnUrED

I think it needs an updated version of Open TX as the programming is done in the radio.

jtrops

This is the latest and greatest module to support multiple protocols.

iRangeX IRX4 2.4G CC2500 NRF24L01 A7105 CTRF6936 4 IN 1 Multiprotocol STM32 TX Module With Case
https://banggood.app.link/hBkSrnUrED

I think it needs an updated version of Open TX as the programming is done in the radio.

Yeah, that's the one we have. I installed a new version of Er9x to support the module, and it works great. So far we have used it with receivers for Flysky, Spektrum, Bayang, and Hisky.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
FrSky Taranis QX7 with a multi-protocol module let's you run practically anything - and there are lots of cheap but perfectly workable FrSky compatible receivers starting to hit the market, and lots of Specktrum clone receivers that will work with the multi-protocol module just fine.

jtrops

FrSky Taranis QX7 with a multi-protocol module let's you run practically anything - and there are lots of cheap but perfectly workable FrSky compatible receivers starting to hit the market, and lots of Specktrum clone receivers that will work with the multi-protocol module just fine.

While this is all true, and the QX7 is a newer/nicer radio, he already has a 9x. So instead of purchasing a new Tx+module+Rx, he can use the Tx he already has and get the same module working with the same inexpensive receivers. Since budget is a prime motivator in this thread it makes more sense to use what he has.

A good point to make is that if he ever decides to upgrade to a Taranis he already has a module that can drop right in.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
While this is all true, and the QX7 is a newer/nicer radio, he already has a 9x. So instead of purchasing a new Tx+module+Rx, he can use the Tx he already has and get the same module working with the same inexpensive receivers. Since budget is a prime motivator in this thread it makes more sense to use what he has.

A good point to make is that if he ever decides to upgrade to a Taranis he already has a module that can drop right in.

You are 100% correct! Going with a multi-protocol module (get the $40 one, not the $20 to make sure it works with DSMX) to use tiny Spektrum clone receivers, or a FrSky XJT module ($40) to use the tiny FrSky XM or XM+ ($10-$15) is probably the best investment then - either of those modules will still be a useful expansion when the Taranis QX7 comes into budget range so it's not a wasted purchase at all.

http://heli-heli.com/items/electron...BRp5khY01mlLVbGtfpHePG42J4JhWGBs_gaAp608P8HAQ

http://atmosphericadventures.com/ra...9qsJWEHTj5-SHR0PI_P3dCLNm-AXfFYOwgaAoQE8P8HAQ

Overall going the module route will probably save $60 from getting a QX7 outright - and that's money that could be used to buy a whole lot of plane parts, or one new toddler outfit :)

twisties

Thanks for the replies peeps! The FrSky XJT module is looking like the likely route. I'm not worried about being compatible with EVERYTHING, just that I get something that's known to be good and offers good compatibility / micro receiver availability within it's brand/range.

jtrops

That's not a bad way to go. It does limit you to only Frsky receivers, but it is one of the most reliable protocols going, so not a bad choice at all.

I went the multi-protocol direction so that we could have a club radio that could fly anything that shows up. It takes a couple of minutes to add a new model with the correct protocol selected for whatever receiver a student brings to the club. It also means that we can get the cheapest receivers available regardless of protocol.

twisties

Interesting turn of events. I just found my small holdings of Bitcoin are currently worth enough to grab myself a QX7 and a receiver etc so assuming I can jump through the necessary hoops to sell it before the current value drops, I'll have fixed my issue well and truly! On another note, does anyone know of an RC store that will take bitcoin and ship to Australia? My research hasn't turned up anything yet.

Last edited:

twisties

Solution to all my problems just arrived. Brand new Taranis QX 7 and a receiver, plus a spare battery for the gremlin (because I imagine waiting for one to charge just won't cut it)

Can't wait to get home and finish this soldering!