Looking for Collaborators!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I design a number of different designs from different thicknesses of Foam Board, (3mm and 5mm), which may use some plywood, balsa and/or Carbon fibre. These designs are sometimes quite unique but still rather conventional aircraft.

Being in Australia I do not have easy access to the same grade of FB that is used widely in the USA and so I would ask if anyone is wishing or able to collaborate in building and then documenting the aircraft to enable posting as a viable build for the majority of FT forum viewers.

In addition I often use different techniques or construction methods that are different to those in current usage in the FT forums.

I do not have the ability to provide the high quality pictures and videos that are in widespread use.

Some of the upcoming builds include an order for what is known here as a Slick Trick, a KFM 800mm Wing, and a second generation version of the FT Spitfire.

The plane designs will not be a continuous stream as I also do repairs of foamies for others, (and myself sometimes), and I need to produce moderate numbers of the same designs for retail sale.

Just let me know if you are willing to assist. Heck you can even post the design as your own because in a different FB it effectively will be!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Not so much Beta as the designs are flying well and actually selling well here but I cannot post as to how well it flies if I use materials that others in FT do not use.

A bit like all of those posting about their 3D printed pieces and a lot of the audience has no access to 3D printers at this time! Everyone admires the items but will most likely never use them. I like to build to fly and if others enjoy them also it is a bonus!

Seeking more what i would see as translational builders rather than Beta but those who know how to "Understand" a build or its flight responses as well as having a test pilots daring.

Have fun!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
sure, i got nothing better to do. it's summer time. :p

let me know what you need, i'm happy to help.

laters,

me :cool:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
For anyone interested I will start the series of builds with my hottest cheap build at the moment which is the 800mm KFM4 wing.

I will do the post on a different thread headed by "Collaborators - (series number and model)"

The KFM4 wing Is built out of 5mm FB and uses white glue and a piece of 3mm ply for the motor mount. (Motor etc specs on the thread). Here it has sold retail and is used in numbers in our club for full contact dogfighting. One user has fitted FPV and loves it and its aerobatic and steady flying abilities. It is also often the only design seen flying on windy days here.

The second is to be the Slick Trick, (a sport trainer - developed from a 1/2A racer design. Made from 3mm FB but has wide motor and battery capacity. (Made from off cut pieces, salvaged parts from a crashed Quick Trick, and FB scraps originally). Now a commercial design at very low quantity. A strong design which has often been flown into steel goal posts and only required minor repairs.

The third is to be a special build version of the FT Spitfire but with some changes to made it more user friendly.

From there if I live long enough a slow but continuous stream of designs will be forthcoming including a profile 3D model from 5mm FB.

The designs will be supplied on an as you go basis by which I mean that the design for the individual pieces will be supplied at the same time as the piece is used or just before rather then a complete plan as the plans will require to be translated into USA FB and the design is free to the collaborator to piece together and build and post as their own design or creation, (no royalties or copyright to be held or claimed herein.

Series starts tonight with the first design and build.

Anyone welcome but the first to post an article can claim the design as their own!

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I would be interested. I will not be available until August though.
No real Issue as the project will just be there!
The only thing is that as far as claiming it as your own design it will be First come First served!

Have fun!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
so, i think i am a little confused.

are you providing plans and want us to build with "USA" products, or are you wanting us to take an "idea" and make it our own? there are no plans that i saw in your other post.

glad to help but kinda scratching my head...

laters,

me :cool:

EDIT- Sorry, looks like you added plans (-ish) since i last looked, but still not clear on what your wanting?

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The plans appear as they are completed!

The planes are made and flown here but I use the heavier FB and I lack the video production facilities of others.

As the designs are valid and some are actually selling here. Most have undergone an extensive testing program with many copies distributed, flown and crashed to find the weaknesses in design and have modifications developed for their improvement. All at my own personal cost!

The post or project can be posted as your own because the design needs translation into the local, US, materials, though some will require just a build and maiden, others may require a little more engineering or some dimension changes to get them flying as they do here. As collaborators I provide the base design and any assistance required for the translation to a valid design in the newer materials.

Whereas the original designs perform well here, the US FB, (DTFB), is lighter than what I use the and so the performances should be actually superior to what we experience here. I will also be using a few methods that are not yet shown on the forums!

Unlike some of the people who post their work I am offering the help to get the design flying and balanced so that you can document your efforts for the use and enjoyment of others. The FT ideal was to spread the hobby and the joy it can bring. This is the way I chose to do so!

Indulge if you wish, the choice is yours!

Have fun!