Looking for good cheap 3s 800mah-1000mah batteries and is JST or XT-30 better?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I use the zippy 3s packs. They go for $7 a piece on the HobbyKing website! The zippy packs I have right now have been going getting for almost a year now!

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
For me the JST connector is too small for a pack of that size, they're only rated to about 2A.

I'd consider them for a sub 250g model, and 1-2S packs under 450mAh, anything over that warrants a connector rated for more current.

Only 2 amps? I'll be switching all my small batteries over to XT-30!

myxiplx

Just double checked the datasheet and it's 3A, so not quite that low, but still far lower than a XT30 or EC2 They're officially the JST RCY connector, and Wikipedia has a link to the official datasheet:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JST_connector

In many cases you can actually feel the difference the larger connectors make, these little JST plugs do add a noticeable amount of electrical resistance.

myxiplx

Oh, and btw, HobbyKing NanoTech 850mAh 3S packs are superb. I've been flying them on helis, quads and planes for years. Hundreds and hundreds of flights and they've lasted great. I've tried some of their Zippy compact packs but didn't like them (although much of my flying is helis, so a lot more demanding than a plane).

I've switched to the higher rated NanoTech packs now as my Oxy2 will really push a battery (will comfortably pull 25A), and even though they're cheap I can really feel the difference.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Just double checked the datasheet and it's 3A, so not quite that low, but still far lower than a XT30 or EC2 They're officially the JST RCY connector, and Wikipedia has a link to the official datasheet:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JST_connector

In many cases you can actually feel the difference the larger connectors make, these little JST plugs do add a noticeable amount of electrical resistance.

Thanks for the info?

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Oh, and btw, HobbyKing NanoTech 850mAh 3S packs are superb. I've been flying them on helis, quads and planes for years. Hundreds and hundreds of flights and they've lasted great. I've tried some of their Zippy compact packs but didn't like them (although much of my flying is helis, so a lot more demanding than a plane).

I've switched to the higher rated NanoTech packs now as my Oxy2 will really push a battery (will comfortably pull 25A), and even though they're cheap I can really feel the difference.

I really don't want to order from hobby king. They charge at least $10 shipping, and since batteries are dangerous items to ship it will probably be even more. And they are in china.

anywhere else I can buy them?

Zetoyoc

Elite member
hobby king has a usa warehouse in oregon. if you search only from the usa warehouse the shipping will be quick.

i am lucky enough to actually pick them up in person. so use hobby kiing when i can.